Almora Range, Uttarakhand 263628
11 hours agoJoshi cottages is a family run homestay located within the Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary. We stayed for 6 days at Joshi Cottage. You have to enter in the sanctuary and drive around 3 km to reach the tracking road leading to Joshi Cottage. Then after around 2 km of walking on trail, you can reach Joshi Cottage. This 2 km hike is beautiful, lush green forest area.
Once you reach Joshi Cottage, they welcome you with warmth and love. Its run by Joshi family. Santosh ji was our contact person, he is a great bird watcher and nature guide.
Brother of Santoshji, Kewal
Joshiji,cooks delicious Kumaoni rural meals to satiate your soul.
Best thing for us was to have proper Kumaoni meal everyday with organically grown vegetables fresh picked from their vegetable garden. Kewal ji made sure to make our special day more special by making Gulab Jamin on our wedding anniversary.
There are two cottages near the building where Joshi family stays. They both have all basic amenities room, well maintained, clean and keeping in mind the low temperature, this place mostly have. Each cottage has mesmerizing view from all the points. Anywhere you see, you will find valley filled with chir pines. The place is so peaceful, you would like to stay there and just enjoy the nature.
This place is heaven for bird watchers and nature lovers. From cottage itself we saw Himalayan woodpeckers, Kaleej pheasant, Indian Cuckoo, Eurasian Cuckoo, Indian Paradise Flycatcher and many more. It felt like heaven when you do not hear any other noise but just chirping of birds, calls of barking deer and wind passing through the valley.
Joshi family grows lot many fruits and vegetables around this place, using which they make the meals. That makes simple meals taste heavenly.
Overall, it was very peaceful stay with greatest level of hospitality. Nature walks and visit to zero point with Santoshji was great experience. we are definitely coming back.
A few tips:
1. Trail walking is required, pack proper hiking shoes.
2. Pack light and preferably in back-pack instead of heavy suitcase. If you ask, Joshiji will arrange for porter at reasonable rate.
3. Santoshji is very knowlegeable nature guide, if you are interested, better to speak with him in advance
4. Carry least plastic, and please bring it back. Do not litter mountains.
5. It is better to book taxi through Santoshji in advance, if you need pick-up from Kathgodam Railway Station. He will do it at very reasonable rate.