TripAdvisor Business Advantage
Business Advantage provides accommodations with industry-leading tools to better market themselves to millions of potential guests, differentiate from competitors, impact booking decisions, and measure and improve their online reputations.
How to Add Contact Details to Your TripAdvisor Listing Here’s how to put millions of potential guests - nearby and across the globe - one click or call away from booking with you with Contact Details. Your TripAdvisor page can get hundreds or even thousands of visits per year. With a Business Advantage subscription, you can convert this qualified traffic into direct bookings using Contact Details. Contact Details allow you to add critical business information to your TripAdvisor listing, so travelers can connect with you directly. Here’s what you need to know about Contact Details so you can optimize your Business Advantage return on investment. Not a Business Advantage subscriber? Learn more and sign up at www.tripadvisor.com/BusinessAdvantage About Contact Details With Contact Details, travelers on your TripAdvisor page can reach you directly, whether they’re on a laptop, tablet or mobile device. You can display up to three methods of direct contact, including your:
- Phone number
- Email address
- Deals page
- Packages page
- A virtual tour
13 Things You Should Be Doing to Drive More Bookings from Your TripAdvisor Listing Best practices on how to drive more direct bookings from your TripAdvisor listing page. In our recent “Drive More Direct Bookings with TripAdvisor” webinar, we covered TripAdvisor’s impact on travelers’ booking decisions. In this article we’ll review your TripAdvisor listing page and how you can optimize it to drive more direct bookings. If you’re interested in learning how to optimize your presence on TripAdvisor search results pages, read here. First, let’s review your listing page and why it matters. By the time someone lands on your listing page, you’ve already captured their attention and are a part of their consideration set (the list of properties they’re choosing from). Your goal at this point is to keep these potential guests engaged with your property, provide all of the information they need to make a confident purchase decision and easily connect them to your direct booking channels. For simplicity, we’ve organized these tips based on the layout of your listing, starting at the top and working down to the bottom. We’ve also included a mix of free and premium tips — those tips with an asterisk (*) are features available only to Business Advantage subscribers. To become a Business Advantage subscriber, visit www.tripadvisor.com/BusinessAdvantage. 1. Upload Management Photos Research shows that travelers spend more time on property pages that have at least 30 photos.1 Be sure to upload high quality images that are within our photo guidelines — learn more here. 2. Choose a primary photo...
ON-DEMAND WEBINAR Drive More Direct Bookings with TripAdvisor Details
Global tourism has been steadily increasing over the past decade and it continues to trend upwards. Unfortunately, while we're seeing a strong growth in spending — we're also seeing a steady decline in supplier direct share of online hotel bookings.
How can you capitalize on this growth in global tourism and increase your share of direct bookings? There are many tools owners can use but — because of our size, influence and role in travel — we believe TripAdvisor should be at the center of your direct booking strategy.
Our exclusive on-demand webinar gives your practical tips and tools to start driving more direct bookings with TripAdvisor.
In this webinar we'll cover:
- TripAdvisor's role in the travel industry
- How travelers move through the booking funnel on TripAdvisor
- And, actionable tips — for those just getting started to TripAdvisor experts — for driving more direct bookings at every stage of the booking funnel
The live event is now available on-demand! Sign up now to access the recording (in English only).*Worldwide Travel Path to Purchase 2017, comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, September 2017
**SiteMinder’s Global Hotel Business Index 2018
***Oxford Economics, 2018
DECISION PHASE Key Takeaways from the Decision Phase of the Traveler Path to Purchase Last Updated: March 12, 2018 The Decision Phase of the Traveler Path to Purchase is usually where our hotel partners say they invest the most time and resources. In this phase, travelers are ready to book as compared to the Shopping Phase where travelers are still compiling their consideration sets — the short list of accommodations they’ll choose from (more on influencing travelers in the Shopping Phase here). OVERVIEW OF THE DECISION PHASE
The Decision Phase is when a traveler selects a place to stay and books. During this time, travelers are choosing from their narrowed consideration set that was previously developed in the Shopping Phase. Marketing reach at this point is limited, since travelers have already narrowed in on their choice. But, the travelers who you do reach have a very high booking intent.
Unsurprisingly, price is reported as the most important factor when making a booking decision. In a recent TripBarometer study,* 93% of travelers said price was the strongest booking factor and 72% said finding a good deal was most important to them.WHY THIS MATTERS TO YOU...
OVERVIEW An Overview of the Traveler Path to Purchase Last Updated: March 12, 2018
The traveler’s path to purchase in today’s world is tangled and complex. Travelers are inspired from a variety of sources — from something they saw online, to a billboard on the side of the road, or a story from a friend’s recent trip. With so many different channels, both online and offline, it can be daunting to decide where to invest your marketing dollars.
In an effort to learn how and why travelers book the way they do, we partnered with comScore to understand where travelers go to shop and what inspires their next trip. We consolidated this data in our recent webinar, “Influencing the Traveler Path to Purchase with TripAdvisor” presented by Charles Ballard and Martin Verdon-Roe. We encourage you to watch the full on-demand webinar, but, if you don’t have the time, or are looking for something more scannable, we have just that.Travelers are inspired from a variety of sources — from something they saw online, to a billboard on the side of the road, or a story from a friend’s recent trip. OVERVIEW OF THE PATH TO PURCHASE The traveler path to purchase is comprised of three phases...
TripAdvisor Business Advantage for Accommodations Business Advantage empowers accommodations to attract and engage potential guests – and influence their booking decisions.
Business Advantage represents an evolution of our Business Listings subscription product, which originally launched in 2010. Business Listings were designed to help accommodations drive more results from their TripAdvisor pages. In working with our customers over several years, we learned that they needed a more holistic solution to unleash the full potential of TripAdvisor for their businesses. Based on their feedback and our own traveler data, we developed Business Advantage.
Business Advantage empowers accommodations to better market themselves to potential guests, impact booking decisions, differentiate from competitors and measure and improve their online reputations. Its feature set includes a Media Suite, Promotional Features and a best-in-class Analytics Suite.
What's included in Business Advantage?Promotional Features: Instantly share Contact Details and influence booking decisions with guests online and on–the–go.
- Contact Details: Put millions of potential guests one click or call away from booking with you
- Property page: Choose three points of contact – phone number, email or website URLS – to your property's TripAdvisor listing page
- Mobile Click-to-Call: Make it easy for guests to contact you — and tap into the fast–growing mobile marketplace — by activating one–click calling from any mobile device when you choose a phone number as one of your Contact Details.
- Search Links: Include your hotel website link in search results pages on high–profile TripAdvisor pages
- Special Offers: Stand out from your competitors by sharing exclusive offers on desktop and mobile
- Announcements: Attract traveler attention by sharing your property's latest news
- Favorite Reviews: Showcase a great recent review near the top of your TripAdvisor page
Learn more about the promotional features available to subscribers here.
Media Suite: Capture the attention of guests — and stand apart from competitors — with enhanced photo and video tools that showcase your business at its best.
- Storyboard: A promotional preview that blends together your best photos and top reviews
- Favorite Photos: Use your best photos to inspire and motivate guests to choose your property by highlighting them in your photo carousel and media viewers
- Cover Photos: Present your property how you want guests to see it by customizing the album covers on your listing
- Property Videos: Post dynamic videos on TripAdvisor — and bring your property to life for potential guests
Learn more about features included in the Media Suite here.
Analytics Suite: Leverage in–depth TripAdvisor data on your property, competitors and online visitors to drive key business decisions — and create better guest experiences
- Overview: Use extensive TripAdvisor data to drive business decisions, manage your online reputation & enhance guest experiences
- Reputation Insights: Measure against competitors on key reputation indicators
- Market Position: Find out how traffic and rankings are changing in your market
- Click Activity: Discover what travelers care most about by tracking clicks
- Photos & Amenities: See how potential guests engage with your TripAdvisor photos — and how your amenities stack up against your competitors’
- Demand Trends: Learn where your TripAdvisor visitors are coming from — and what they look for
- Telephone Lead Management: Measure phone traffic by adding a unique phone number to your property page
Learn more about the Business Advantage Analytics Suite here.
What does it cost?
Business Advantage is a subscription–based product. The exact price of a Business Advantage subscription is tailored to each property based on a variety of factors such as location, size, etc. Properties should discuss specific pricing with their TripAdvisor consultants.Last Updated: August 17, 2017
Free or Premium? A Guide to Marketing on TripAdvisor TripAdvisor offers a suite of marketing tools for hospitality businesses. Many are free but a few premium features are available for a fee. Do you know which are which?
Looking for ways to drive more business? TripAdvisor offers a variety of tools to help. There’s something for everyone, but you must be registered for your property’s Management Center to have access.
Let’s start by looking at the free tools available to any accommodation, restaurant or attraction listed on TripAdvisor. These tools are always available in the Management Center:
Properties with at least 1 photo see 138% more engagement than properties with no photos.1
Property page tools
Control the major elements of your TripAdvisor property page through the "Profile" tab in the top menu. Add photos to attract traveler attention, update your amenities, and complete other administration tasks here as well.
Over 60% of travelers say Management Responses make them more likely to book.2
Review management tools
Under "Reviews" in the top menu, you'll find all of the tools you need to manage, measure, and respond to new reviews. Try Review Express to encourage more reviews.
Nearly 90% of travelers say reviews are influential in choosing where to book.3
Free marketing tools
Get help marketing your business under "Free Tools" in the top menu of the Management Center. Showcase your reviews with the TripAdvisor Traveler Reviews App for your Facebook page, TripAdvisor Social Media Buttons, and widgets to display your awards and reviews on your website. Finally, request a TripAdvisor sticker for your property, so guests know you’re listed on the world’s largest travel site.4
Want free marketing tips, industry research, helpful guides and more? Select "TripAdvisor Insights" under the "Resources" tab in the top menu of the Management Center or visit www.tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights.
Accommodation & restaurant providers can enhance their TripAdvisor listings and attract even more travelers with some additional tools that are available for a fee. There are no premium tools available for attractions at this time.
Solutions for accommodations
- Business Advantage: Industry-leading tools to better market your business to millions of potential guests, differentiate from competitors, impact booking decisions, and measure and improve your online reputation.Visit www.tripadvisor.com/BusinessAdvantage to learn more.
- Instant Booking: Now, travelers can click the “Book on TripAdvisor” button to reserve a hotel directly on the site. Potential guests are more willing to book when they know they can purchase right on TripAdvisor.5 Instant booking gives your hotel an easy way to claim these bookings. Learn more here.
- Sponsored Placements: Drive high quality traffic to your property by putting your listing on top of TripAdvisor search results for travelers searching for a place to stay in your area. Sponsored Placements are risk-free — meaning you pay only for the clicks you get and you can cancel at any time. Sign up today at www.TripAdvisor.com/SponsoredPlacements.
Solutions for restaurants
- TripAdvisor Premium: Get the competitive advantage your business needs with TripAdvisor Premium for Restaurants. Upgrading to Premium gives you exclusive access to powerful subscriber-only tools including Storyboard, Top 3 Reasons to Eat Here, Favorite Reviews, and exclusive data & insights. Learn more here.
- TripAdvisor Ads: Drive traffic to your TripAdvisor listing by promoting your restaurant in exclusive sponsored placements to a targeted audience of diners searching for a place to eat in your area. Learn more here.
- 1. TripAdvisor data, July 7 - August 7 2014, tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/n2507/bookings-and-traveler-engagement-driven-management-actions
- 2. PhoCusWright, “Custom Survey Research Engagement,” prepared for TripAdvisor, December 2013.
- 3. TripBarometer, April 2014, Global Edition: tripadvisor.com/TripAdvisorInsights/n2200/tripbarometer-april-2014-global-edition
- 4. comScore Media Metrix for TripAdvisor Sites, worldwide,
- 5. TripAdvisor internal data
Storyboard: Tell Your Story, Your Way Combine your best photos and top reviews into a promotional preview that engages customers.
Every month, over 455 million people visit TripAdvisor to plan and book their perfect trip.1 From finding the best places to stay, to discovering local restaurants when they get there – travelers use TripAdvisor at all stages of their trip.
As a Business Advantage or TripAdvisor Premium for Restaurants subscriber, you have a suite of marketing tools at your fingertips to help you make a great first impression on potential customers. One of these is Storyboard, which transforms your static photos and reviews into a high-quality promotional preview of your property. Our Storyboard builder is easy to use and will guide you along the way. Simply choose your best photos, review snippets, and tags, and we’ll do the rest for you.
Get more customers to choose you by telling your story and putting yourself a step ahead of the competition. Ready to begin?
Setting Up Your Storyboard
In order to publish your Storyboard, you must have an active TripAdvisor subscription:
- Accommodations: Become a Business Advantage Preferred Access subscriber. Learn more here: www.tripadvisor.com/BusinessAdvantage.
- Restaurants: Subscribe to TripAdvisor Premium for Restaurants. Learn more here: www.tripadvisor.com/Premium.
Once you’ve subscribed, log into your Management Center at www.tripadvisor.com/Owners and select your business from the drop-down menu.
- Accommodations: Select “Storyboard” from the “Media Suite” menu. Then, click “Create Storyboard” to begin.
- Restaurants: Under the “Profile” menu, select “Manage Storyboard.” Then, click “Create Storyboard” to begin.
Storyboard is easy to create! Each one is made up of ten frames that you can populate with photos, review snippets or tags from your page. Navigate between frames to configure them – we’ll even suggest the content for you. Once you’ve finished editing a frame, click “Next” and your changes will save automatically.
To select, or change, a photo in the frame click “Update Photo.” A photo gallery will then appear below. Use this gallery to select the photo you’d like to use. If you don’t see a photo you like, you can always add additional photos through the “Manage Photos” tool on the left.
Selecting review snippets:
After you’ve selected your photo, you may choose a review snippet. A review snippet is a short excerpt from a traveler’s review of your property. These highlights are automatically generated based on a universal set of criteria. To select a snippet, click the “Update Review Snippet” button and then choose one from the gallery below. Once selected, you will see a preview in the frame above.
Tags are summary keywords that appear repeatedly in reviews from different guests or diners. Choose tags that highlight a reason why customers love your business. To select a tag, click the “Update Tag” button and then choose from the tags below. Once selected you will see a preview in the frame above.
Adding review snippets and tags in multiple languages:
If your business has reviews in multiple languages use the drop-down menu to see what languages are available. Once you select a language, all snippets or tags available in that language will be displayed. Be sure to choose options for each of these languages, for each frame, or your Storyboard will be incomplete and not visible in that language. The completion status of each is indicated by color:
- Languages in black have not been started.
- Language in green indicates that all snippets or tags have been selected for that language.
- Languages in orange have been selected in a previous frame but are missing from the current frame.
Note: For accommodations, visitors viewing your page in a language for which you don’t have a Storyboard will continue to see your Cover Photo. For restaurants, users will instead see a Storyboard in another completed language.
Publishing your Storyboard:
The final frame is where you have the opportunity to publish your completed Storyboard. Here you will also see which languages are complete, as well as which languages you began but did not complete. To see which frames are incomplete, look for orange dots in the setup carousel and update the frames with additional selections as needed.
Once you’ve completed all frames and are ready to publish, click “Publish Now.” Only completed languages will be published, all other incomplete languages will be saved as a draft until they’re complete. Please note that it can take up to 24 hours for your updates to appear on your live Storyboard. If you’re not yet ready to publish your Storyboard, you can always leave and come back to publish it at another time. All changes will be saved in the Storyboard editor.
- 1. TripAdvisor log files, average monthly unique visitors, Q3 2017
Top 12 Tips for Special Offer Success
According to a 2014 TripBarometer report, nearly half of TripAdvisor travelers say Special Offers influence their booking choices. Here are 12 tips to create successful Special Offers that convert travelers:
1. Always run an offer
Special Offers differentiate you from competition. Don’t sideline your business by allowing your offer to expire or by not running one at all.
2. Give travelers a good deal
Appealing to travelers’ wallets will get you more bookings. Special Offers that do well are ones that give guests the best deal. But if you don’t have a big budget, don’t worry. Even a small value-add can appeal to travelers.
3. Timing is everything
You can choose exactly when to launch or update your offer. Try using the “Your Visitors” report in your Property Dashboard to see your average booking lead time, then post your offer that many days in advance of the time you want to promote.
4. Market distressed inventory
Post a Special Offer to fill rooms that would otherwise go unsold, whether that’s during an off-season, weekdays, or other quiet times.
5. Capitalize on a pre-existing deal
List a special that you are already running elsewhere. Your Special Offer does not need to be unique to TripAdvisor!
6. Use offers to build areas of your business
Create offers that appeal to the types of travelers you want to draw in. For instance, if you’d like more leisure travelers, appeal to families or weekend guests with an offer of “Free breakfast.”
7. Promote your own amenities
Use a Special Offer to increase the amount travelers spend with you. Try offering a discount on a room upgrade, room service or spa treatment.
8. Be clear and concise
Tell travelers exactly what they are getting. If it helps, use our standard offer templates to clearly communicate the value across all domains and languages on TripAdvisor.
9. Communicate restrictions or blackout dates
Provide clear guidelines on when your offer can be used and what’s included so that customers get the whole story up front.
10. Make your offer easy to redeem
Simplify the redemption process to maximize conversion. Customers will stop short of booking if there are too many complex steps. If possible, link guests to a website page where they can easily redeem the offer.
11. Spread the word internally
Tell your front line staff about the Special Offer so they can field traveler inquiries appropriately and create a positive service experience.
12. Track your results
Associate a promotion code with your offer to keep tabs on the ones that convert the most customers. That helps make future Special Offers more successful.Last Updated: January 10, 2018
Bring Your Business to Life with Property Videos Seeing is believing, show guests what they can expect at your accommodation with Property Videos, available only to Business Advantage subscribers.
Getting guests to understand exactly what your property offers can be challenging, but what if you could show them? Introducing TripAdvisor’s Property Videos.
Travelers are spending more time than ever watching videos: a recent study predicts that video will claim nearly 80% of all global web traffic by 2019.1 Videos allow users a special view into your property, capturing their attention and giving them a glimpse into what makes you special.
Property Videos allow you to bring your accommodation to life by displaying video content right alongside your photos on TripAdvisor. Leave a lasting impression and connect with travelers through the power of video.
Ready to engage potential guests with videos? Let’s get started.
How to add videos to your TripAdvisor listing
In order to publish Property Videos on TripAdvisor, you must have an active Business Advantage subscription. Learn more here: BusinessAdvantage.
Once you've subscribed:
- Sign into the Management Center.
- Under the Profile menu at the top, select “Media Suite."
- Click the “Property Videos” tab on the left-hand side.
- Click the blue “Add More Videos” button, then select videos from your computer. You can upload up to 30 Property Videos to your listing.
- Don't forget to add a title to let travelers know what your video is about.Then, click “Submit” to save your changes and upload the video.
- While most videos appear on your listing within 30 minutes, your video may take up to 24 hours to be available.
How to update or delete Property Videos:
- Follow steps 1 - 3 above to access the “Property Videos” section.
- Click the video you’d like to update or delete.
- To make changes, edit the title of the video and click “Save Updates.”
- To delete a video, click the blue “Delete” button below. Once you delete a Property Video it will no longer be displayed on your TripAdvisor page.
Tips for posting Property Videos:
- Review our guidelines: Ensure your video aligns with our Property Video guidelines before you post.
- Keep it short: Short clips are more engaging. All videos should not exceed three minutes.
- Switch it up: Showcase different areas of your property - whether it’s a walk-through of your Master Suite, a fly over video of your pristine golf course, or a welcome video from your staff. Just like with photos, it’s best to highlight a variety of areas!
- Combine with Announcements: If you’ve made changes to your property, consider posting a video on the updates, along with an Announcement. This can help draw travelers in.
- More tips: Read our guide to creating professional looking videos, on a budget.
- 1. https://www.l2inc.com/research/video-2016
Spotlight Your Favorite Reviews Step-by-step guide to highlighting your favorite reviews to TripAdvisor users.
Inspire travelers by showcasing a favorite recent review near the top of your TripAdvisor property page. The Favorite Reviews feature allows you to leverage travelers’ reviews to help tell your story on TripAdvisor. Select a review that truly depicts your business and pin it in prime viewing position for those visiting your TripAdvisor property page.
Where will my chosen review appear on TripAdvisor?
The review you select will appear directly after the most recent review on your TripAdvisor listing. Choose one in each available language to ensure that more travelers from around the world see your favorite reviews.
Set up Favorite Reviews in two easy steps:
It takes just a minute to showcase a favorite review to travelers worldwide – and to give browsers even more reason to become bookers.
Accommodations with Business Advantage:
- Visit the Management Center and selecting "Business Advantage" from the Products tab at the top of the page.
- Then, under the "Favorite Reviews" section, click "Choose a Favorite Review."
Restaurants with TripAdvisor Premium for Restaurants: Access this page by logging into the Management Center and selecting "Select a Favorite Review" from the Reviews tab.
Step 1: Choose a review
The first step is to choose the review you want to highlight. All eligible reviews* will automatically appear on this page. You can use our built-in filter options – including bubble ratings and traveler type – to make it easier to find the one you want to feature.
To ensure that travelers from around the world see the review you want them to see (in their language), the Favorite Review feature allows you to select reviews in multiple languages. To take advantage of this, simply select a language from the drop-down list, and you'll see a new selection of eligible reviews in that language. Only languages that contain an eligible review for your business will be visible.
*Please note: There are criteria that reviews must meet in order to be eligible for this feature. Managers will only be able to select a review from among the reviews that meet the criteria.
Tips for picking a review:
- Keep it current. Studies show that 80% of TripAdvisor users are most interested in recent reviews when researching accommodation options.1 Travelers want to know what your property is like based on current guest experiences. Make sure that the review you select is recent – the fresher the review the better.
- Has the review received any helpful votes? If so, that means people found the information beneficial when they were looking at your listing. This type of helpful content could appeal to even more browsers and may be worth highlighting.
- Does the review highlight something unique about your property? Do you have a great spa experience, an outdoor dining space, or incredible staff that people boast about? These are all important factors that potential visitors consider when making a decision. Draw attention to what makes you special.
- Provide insight for potential guests. For example: If your property makes it easy for guests to enjoy the hustle and bustle of a city, highlight a review which speaks to the vibrant atmosphere. If your restaurant is notorious for being vegan-friendly, highlight a review that calls out your most-loved vegetarian dishes.
- Think about seasonality and timing. If it’s winter where you are, instead of spotlighting a review which talks about your outdoor pool or dining area, you might instead choose a review focusing on your open-fire dining experience. Also think about celebrations and holidays. If it’s Valentine’s Day, you might consider choosing a review that appeals to couples.
Step 2: Publish your Favorite Review
Then, click "Publish." Your Favorite Review will appear within 24 hours of being published. Follow the same steps above to select a review in additional languages or to swap out older featured reviews for new ones.
Keep in mind: Once a Favorite Review becomes more than a year old, it will no longer appear at the top of your property page. Make sure your reviews are up-to-date by visiting the Favorite Review page in the Management Center regularly.
- 1. The 2015 ‘Custom Survey Research Engagement’ was an independent study of 14,991 respondents conducted by Phocuswright on behalf of TripAdvisor. Phocuswright fielded an online consumer survey between April 8, 2015 and April 29, 2015, driving responses via pop-ups on TripAdvisor websites in the U.S., United Kingdom, France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Russia, Australia, India, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. The survey targeted users of the website’s hotel reviews who have also purchased lodging for travel within the past 12 months, and planned their own trips. Respondents were invited to participate in the survey while visiting the TripAdvisor website via a link which directed them to an online survey instrument.
Updating Payment Information on TripAdvisor Step-by-step instructions on updating your property’s payment information on TripAdvisor.
Updating payment information for your property is simple and can be done online. Follow the steps below to learn how to update this information across all TripAdvisor paid products.
Updating your payment information
- Go to www.tripadvisor.com/Owners to log into the Management Center.
- Hover over the “Profile” menu at the top of the page, click "Billing and Payments.”
- On the right-hand side, under “Billing Information” click the “Update” link.
- Enter in your new credit card, update your method of payment or billing information and click “Save.”
How long will this take?
Your updated payment information will appear immediately. If you have any outstanding payments, we’ll charge your account within 24 hours.
Who is the billing owner?
The billing owner is the person who manages payments to TripAdvisor. It’s typically the person who purchased or last renewed your TripAdvisor subscription, or the person who initially set up instant booking. You can see who has access to manage your commercial products by visiting the Manage User Access page. To access this page, log into your Management Center and under the "Profile" tab in the top menu, select "Manage User Access." On this page, you'll see a full list of all users registered to your TripAdvisor page. You'll also see their TripAdvisor usernames, email addresses, affiliations to your business, and the products they have access to (if applicable).
Can I have multiple cards on file with TripAdvisor?
Yes, you can keep multiple cards on file. However, only one credit card may be set as the default for payments. The billing owner for your property can update the selected default card at any time.
I don’t see the "Billing & Payment" option. What should I do?
You’re probably not registered with TripAdvisor as the billing owner of your property. In this case, you should ask the billing owner to log into the Management Center and update the payment information using the steps above.
If that person should no longer be managing billing and payments, you can submit a request via the Management Center to have the billing owner status shifted to someone else.
For owners with a Business Listings* subscription:
To change ownership of a paid product, like Business Listings, you should submit a customer support ticket online. Here's how:
- Visit the Management Center.
- In the Contact TripAdvisor box click "Email us.”
- Under "Please tell me what the issue is” box, select “Business Listings.”
- Select "Update Account Access Permissions" as the subtopic.
- In the Comments box please include all details of the switch you'd like to make.
*Beginning in January 2017, Business Listings will be replaced by an exciting, new subscription product for accommodations: TripAdvisor Business Advantage. Learn more here.
For owners with a Business Advantage subscription:
- Visit the Management Center.
- In the Contact TripAdvisor box click "Get online help.”
- Under "Please tell me what the issue is” box, select “Business Advantage.”
- Select "Update Account Access Permissions" as the subtopic.
- In the Comments box please include all details of the switch you'd like to make.
For owners with instant booking:
- Visit the Management Center.
- In the Contact TripAdvisor box click "Get online help."
- Under “Please tell us what the issue is,” select “Instant Booking.”
- Choose “Billing and Payment Questions.”
- Explain your request in the Comments box.
How to Add Special Offers to Your TripAdvisor Listing Step-by-step directions on setting up your Special Offer
A Special Offer is a deal or promotion that your accommodation can post on TripAdvisor as part of your subscription. Use Special Offers to capture guest attention and promote your business on the world's largest travel site.
They're a great opportunity to fill rooms that would otherwise go unsold during the off-season, weekdays, or other quiet times for your property.
Where do Special Offers appear on TripAdvisor?
Special Offers appear on each of TripAdvisor’s 49 domains, localized in 28 languages, on your property's listing page and in location search results.
Set up a Special Offer in three easy steps
Ready to set up your Special Offer? Business Listings* subscribers: First, log into the Management Center and click "Manage your Business Listings" from your homepage. Then, click "Post a Special Offer" and on the next page, select "Get started." For Business Advantage subscribers: click "Manage Business Advantage" from your homepage. Then, in the Special Offers section, click "Click to Update."
Don’t see the "Post a Special Offer" link? Your account may not be authorized to make these changes. Please ask the Billing Owner of your subscription to contact their TripAdvisor representative and request this access on your behalf.
Tip: If you want to re-activate a Special Offer you've used in the past click "Past Offers" to view and update an old one.
**Beginning in January 2017, Business Listings will be replaced by an exciting, new subscription product for accommodations: TripAdvisor Business Advantage. Learn more here.
Step 1: Choose a Special Offer Category
There are four options: “Room Rate,” “Food & Beverage,” “Local Offers” and “Package.”
To better classify your Special Offer, please select a subcategory for “Room Rate,” “Food & Beverage” or “Local Offer.”
- % Off Room
- $ Off Room
- Special Rate
- Room Upgrade
- Loyalty Points
Food and Beverage:
- Meal Credit
- Free Bottle
- Free Breakfast
- Free Parking
Some subcategories will also have more specific fields, such as the exact percentage or discount off the base room rate, the type of tickets for a “Local Offer” (tour, public transit, attraction), or how much of a meal credit you want to give.
Once all required fields are filled out for your Special Offer, click on the “Next” button at the bottom of the page.
Step 2: Fill in the details
Next, add the details for your offer:
- Image: We recommend that you include an image of your property on your Special Offer coupon.
- Headline: Choose whether you would like to use a suggested headline or customize your own. If you create your Special Offer on www.tripadvisor.com, the custom headline will only appear on that domain. The suggested headline will be used for all other domains.
- Description: Write a description. Include terms, conditions, blackout dates, and instructions on redemption process.
- Redemption instructions: Select how guests can redeem the offer: at check-in, via email, by phone or online (select all that apply). Please note if you select “Online” you will be required to provide a URL. Similarly, if you select “Email” you must provide an email address and subject line.
- Offer code: We recommend using an “Offer Code” if possible to help facilitate tracking. See more information in this guide.
- Valid days of the week: Select which days of the week the Special Offer is valid.
- Redemption dates: Select the dates this Special Offer can be redeemed.
- Dates to display on TripAdvisor: Schedule exactly when your Special Offer should be visible. You can even schedule it to start in the future -- any time within the next year.
Once all required information is filled out, click on the “Next” button at the bottom of the page.
Step 3: Review and post your Special Offer
Preview what your Special Offer will look like. Be sure to compare it against the Special Offer checklist on the next page.
If you are happy with it, agree with the terms and conditions and click on the “Post Special Offer” button. Your Special Offer will be live within 24 hours.
Once your Special Offer is posted, you can share it to Facebook. Return to the "Post a Special Offer" page and click the icon under "Share" to promote it.
Step 4: Set up another offer (optional)You can create and schedule several Special Offers at once – up to a year in advance. This allows your Special Offers to automatically transition from one to the next. The new offer will launch on the start date you choose, replacing the old one. No action is required on your part, so you won't miss any potential guests. Just use the "Dates to display on TripAdvisor" box in Step 2 to indicate when you'd like each Special Offer to appear. To see the Special Offers you've scheduled, return to the "Post a Special Offer" page and then select the "Scheduled Offers" tab. Last Updated: January 10, 2018
Photos on TripAdvisor: Best Practices Quick photography tips designed to help hoteliers grab the attention of potential guests.
According to a 2015 study conducted by Microsoft,1 the average human attention span is rapidly declining. Since 2012 our attention span has dropped from twelve seconds to a mere eight seconds – making it shorter than that of a goldfish (at nine seconds). Given this, holding the attention of visitors to your TripAdvisor page can seem daunting. Luckily, the TripAdvisor Media Suite offers easy-to-use features that can help.
Not only do photos grab the attention of travelers and reach them on an emotional level, but research shows that travelers spend more time on property pages with at least 30 photos. Photos are an important way to tell your story and help visitors imagine themselves at your property. But, it’s not just about having a lot of photos - the type of photos you feature matter. Here are our tips on how to choose photos that will keep travelers engaged and influence their booking decisions:
DO: Use professional-looking photos
Beautiful photos are a must. In this day and age, there’s no excuse not to have professional-looking photos. Don’t worry - there’s no need to run out and hire a photographer. You can get professional photos on your own by following our top tips for taking better property photos.
DON’T: Use stock photos
Stock photos are boring and lack authenticity. Anyone can choose generic photos of a guest room, lobby, or dining space, but this doesn't show customers who you are and what you’re about. It also doesn't properly set traveler expectations, which can lead to poor reviews if the actual experience doesn't live up to the one presented. Your photos should tell your property’s story, and communicate what makes you special.
DO: Update your photos based on the season
Guests want to see exactly what they can expect when they visit your property - no matter the time of year they visit. If it’s the middle of winter, it’s time to emphasize your lobby’s warm and cozy fireplace over those summer pool shots. Be sure to keep your advance booking window in mind when choosing which photos to prioritize. If you typically have a long lead time on bookings, begin adding images for the upcoming season to align with traveler searches. Remember, you want to make it as easy as possible for guests to imagine themselves at your property.
DON'T: Delete photos from other seasons
While you know your typical advance booking window, travelers could be researching before or after that time frame and want to see what your property looks like for their travel dates. Instead of deleting those seasonal photos, use the Manage Photos tab in the Media Suite to adjust the order of your images. This allows you to prioritize ones within your current booking window, while still having others available to those booking last minute or earlier than usual.
DO: Include an array of photos
Potential guests want to see everything your property has to offer, so it’s important to include a mix of photos on your listing. Business Advantage subscribers benefit from Favorite Photos which allows you to hand-pick the first 30 photos in your photo carousel. As a general rule, you should include images of:
- Guest rooms: the bedroom area, storage spaces, bathroom, and any unique or high-quality room amenities (technology, toiletries, etc.)
- Views or outdoor spaces: the exterior of your building, pool, gardens, rooftop, views from your restaurant or bedroom, etc.
- Common spaces or interior amenities: dining spaces, your lobby, concierge, transportation
DON’T: Include every photo from your recent photo shoot
The photos from your recent photo shoot just came back and they look beautiful -- great! Keep in mind, while travelers love photos, there is such thing as too many. No one wants to see 10 shots of your exterior or lobby bar in slightly different lighting. So, before you post, narrow down the list to ensure each photo is showing something unique. TripAdvisor even allows you to sort your photos into albums such as Hotel & Amenities, Dining, Pool & Beach and Room/Suite. Business Advantage subscribers, you can select Cover Photos for these albums in the Media Suite.
DO: Post photos of various rooms - but always include your standard room
Room photos not only help potential guests decide if they want to stay at your property, but they can also be used to upsell guests to a more expensive room. Entice potential guests by including photos of all your room types - just be sure to label them accurately so guests get a true representation of where they will be staying.
DON’T: Post only the basic offerings at your property
Although it’s essential to include photos of your standard amenities, this doesn’t mean you can’t mix in some fun images as well. Cover the basics, but don’t forget to highlight the unique features of your property. Have a suite with an unrivaled view? Be sure to show it off. Do you use a certain brand of local coffee, have an “Instagrammable” wall or luxurious bedding? Spotlight these features with close-up photos - and don’t forget the captions - this way guests will feel like they’re getting an intimate and honest look into your business.
DO: Mix up the style and formats of your photos
Just as you should switch up the type of photos you display, it’s equally important to mix up the style of these photos. Instead of just including one classic shot of your hotel lobby, include close-ups of highlights like your front desk, a panoramic or wide-angle, or your lobby when it’s busy. Incorporating different angles and shots will make guests feel like as if they’re they’re discovering the space for themselves. Business Advantage subscribers also use tools in the Media Suite like Storyboard and Property Videos to grab the attention of travelers and bring your property to life.
DON’T: Get “too artsy” with your photos
While it’s important to change up the style and angle of your photos - don’t get too carried away. Visitors still need to be able to quickly tell what they’re looking at. Avoid fish-eye photos or distorted images which may be confusing. The last thing you want is for travelers to be confused, or worse, think you’re trying to cover something up.
Finally, remember that the above is meant as a guide rather than strict rules all properties must follow. So, do take these tips and incorporate them into your online visual strategy. But, don’t worry if you break a few of them. After all, every property is unique so do whatever is best for you and tells your authentic story.
Ready to upload and manage your property’s photos? Log into the Management Center to get started.
- 1. http://time.com/3858309/attention-spans-goldfish/
Tips for Telling Your Story Through Photos How to use Business Advantage photo tools to capture the eyes, interest and bookings of potential guests on TripAdvisor.
Humans are visual learners. According to MIT, the human brain can process visual information 3x faster than it takes to process a single word. TripAdvisor users are no different. 79% of TripAdvisor travelers said that photos were important when choosing to book an accommodation1. High-quality images can help shape potential guest’s opinion of your accommodation and can be a deciding factor when choosing where to book.
That’s why Business Advantage includes powerful tools to help you engage and influence potential guests. Use them to tell your story to travelers and show the experience guests can expect at your accommodation.
Read below to learn about our Business Advantage photo tools, available to subscribers only.
With Favorite Photos you can highlight a collection of images at the top of your photos page on TripAdvisor. This is valuable real estate, available only to subscribers, so keep travelers engaged and interested by offering a variety of photos that inspire and give them the confidence to choose your property.
How to update your Favorite Photos:
- Sign into the Management Center
- Select “Media Suite” from the Profile tab
- Click the “Favorite Photos” section and pick 5-30 images
Make sure guests see your best photos first with Cover Photos. Hand-select high-quality images for your TripAdvisor albums so you capture their interest and show off your rooms, property features and amenities.
How to update your Cover Photos:
- Sign into the Management Center
- Select “Media Suite” from the Profile tab
- Click the “Cover Photos” section and pick a Cover Photo for each of the albums listed*
- Once you’ve selected the Cover Photo you’d like to use, click “Save”
*Please note: At this time, there are some albums which are visible to you in the Management Center, but not to potential guests or travelers. You can only change Cover Photos for those albums which are visible to potential guests.
Storyboard transforms your static photos and reviews into a high-quality promotional preview of your property. Our Storyboard builder is easy to use and will guide you along the way. Simply choose your best photos, review snippets, and tags and we'll do the rest for you. Read our full guide to creating a Storyboard here.
How to create your Storyboard:
- Sign into the Management Center
- Select “Media Suite” from the Profile tab
- Click the “Storyboard” section, then click “Create Storyboard” to begin
- Follow the prompts for each frame, once you’ve completed all ten click, “Publish Now.”
Tips for choosing Favorite Photos, Cover Photos & Storyboard photos
- Choose high-quality photos. Images should be at least 1060 pixels by 450 pixels and JPG, PNG or GIF file formats. For Favorite Photos, we recommend using landscape images. Also, photos that are well-lit tend to receive more clicks than those that are darker.
- Show travelers what makes your property special. Guests are looking for a complete picture of the experience they’ll have at your property. They want to see images that are varied, engaging and unique – so avoid generic stock-type photography or multiple photos of the same thing.
- Consider using compelling Traveler Photo(s). Using traveler-generated content shows a different perspective that other travelers will appreciate. Plus, it gives a real feeling of what the guest experience could be like at your property.
- Add captions to your photos. These captions will be visible to users – so think of them as headlines that would appear in a newspaper: State of the Art Fitness Center, Heated Swimming Pool, Lakefront Dining, etc.
- Make sure photos look good in all sizes. Remember that Cover Photos are thumbnail-sized, while Favorite Photos are landscape-oriented. Be sure to choose photos that look good when displayed in these specific locations. Don’t hesitate to try out several options until you find the ones that look best.
- For Cover Photos - choose an image that best represents the entire album. Be sure to choose a Cover Photo that’s captivating, so potential guests will want to explore the whole album.
- For Favorite Photos - choose eight or more images. If you have fewer than five Favorite Photos picked, your selections will not be saved. Also, if you have the minimum five photos selected and one is removed from the site, your Favorite Photos will disappear until you select more. Choosing eight or more images ensures Favorite Photos will still appear even if a photo is removed.
- For Favorite Photos & Storyboard - include a variety of photos. Tell the property's full story to the viewer. Mix it up and include many different shots such as your property’s exterior, common areas, guest rooms, amenities, etc.
- Don't forget to add Property Videos. Property Vidoes help your property come to life for potential guests. Read our guide to learn how to upload videos.
- 1. TripBarometer 2016