Interested in Miami?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Miami each week.
Topics include Dining Scene, United States: For Foreign Visitors & more!
Miami is a big city, and it has crime and safety issues that you need to take care of . It is always wise to keep in mind the same basic safety precautions you would take in any other major metropolitan city:
- Watch your luggage at the Airport, during hotel check-in and check-out, and at all times.
- Be aware of your surroundings, have a detailed idea of where you are or where you are heading.
- Identify the friendly neighborhoods. Always carry a map. Know where you are.
- Do not answer the door in a hotel room without verifying whom it is. If a person claims to be an employee, call the front desk to check its authenticity.
There are some extra precautions in case of a hurricane. Some of these include:
- Listen to the radio or television for up-to-date emergency information.
- Stay away from downed power lines and flooding.
- Avoid walking in water. You can get into a hole, or hurt yourself with broken glass, metal fragments, and other debris.
- Find out what roads you can drive. You can get this information from public announcements or the authorities. As well, know what areas and neighborhoods are safe.
- Avoid driving flooded roads. Cars can be swept away or break down.
- When traffic lights are out, treat the intersection as a four-way stop.
- Be careful when entering a building that you visually consider damaged.