Interested in Myanmar?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Myanmar each week.
Before traveling to Myanmar, an excellent historical novel to read is The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh. It really enables the reader to appreciate the days before the fall of the last imperial dynasty, the years under British colonial rule, World War II and the Japanese occupation, and more. It is a lengthy read, but worth it. The book is available in many libraries and in paperback.
1. Burma/Myanmar - Where Now? by Mikael Gravers and Flemming Ytzen
2. Letters from Burma by Aung San Suu Kyi
3. The River of Lost Footsteps: A Personal History of Burma by Thant Myint-U
4. Finding George Orwell in Burma by Emma Larkin
5. Where China Meets India: Burma and the New Crossroads of Asia by Thant Myint-U
6. From the Land of Green Ghosts: A Burmese Odyssey by Pascal Khoo Thwe
7. The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh
8. Burmese Days by George Orwell
9. Old Rangoon by Noel F. Singer
10. Defeat into Victory by Field Marshal Sir William Slim
Always browse any or all Travel Pictorial books about a country, region or a natural wonder of the world . You will find excellent photography to view at leisure. Check out any bookstore or library ( lending or reference ).
Always glance through any Travel Guide for the region you are planning to visit. You will always find some nuggat of useful information. The layout and content will always vary with the publisher. Every traveller should make it a priority to browse one or all of the guides listed below. It will be a great education to browse the layout and view the excellent photography. You decide which of the travel guide(s) you like the best but do note that most have out of date information due to the increasing changes in Myanmar and the time lag in going to print. Lonely Planet is one that is guilty in this respect with many items recycled from previous issues and not updated.Online forums certainly have the most up to date information.
Browse the children's or junior section of your local library for travel and geography guides. You will find a variety of guides to countries, regions or natural wonders of the world. The majority of these guides will be less than fifty pages in length. They will contain an excellent overview of a country etc. They are an excellent introduction to travel for a novice traveller.