Interested in Negril?
We'll send you updates with the latest deals, reviews and articles for Negril each week.
Topics include Dining Scene, Jamaica: For Foreign Visitors & more!
Traveling to and from Negril...
There are several ways to get to Negril. Each method has advantages, for example cost or speed, and is used by some people every day.
Free - Hotel First, a number of resorts in Negril offer free transfers from the Montego Bay airport directly to the hotel. Hotel provided transfers will normally stop only at resorts operated by one company and thus will normally stop at only one or two hotels in Negril. In most cases you will need to stay a minimum number of nights at the resort to qualify for this service. Contact your travel agent or the hotel directly to see if transfers to/from the Montego Bay airport are included in the room rate or not.
Free - Tour Package Second, a number of tour operators, for example Apple Vacations and Sunwing, include free transfers if you purchase a package of a flight to Montego Bay along with a stay at a resort. Tour operator provided transfers may or may not stop at multiple hotels before reaching your resort. The number of stops is determined by the tour operator, the transfer company used, and several other factors. Contact your travel agent or the tour operator to see if transfers are included in the package price or not. Conditions, for example a minimum stay requirement, apply to the offers of some tour operators so ask before you book. Contact your travel agent or tour operator to see if free transfers are included in the price of your tour package
Shuttle Bus If free transfers are not provided by your hotel or by your tour operator then possibly the most economical, while still accommodating, method of transportation to and from Negril is via the shuttle bus. Shuttle bus is probably not the best way of describing an air conditioned vans and buses with an expert driver, who will sometimes narrate during your journey in your shared van or bus. A shared transfer may, or may not, include stops at multiple resorts. Travel time to Negril hotels takes about 1 hr. 15 min. to 1 hr. 30 min. depending on the location of the resort and road conditions. This option can save you half on the price of a private taxi, and without half the hassle. Remember to tip the shuttle bus driver. Some of the shuttle bus operators operating from the Montego Bay airport include the following:
* Tropical Tours and Exclusive Holidays, has two locations inside the transportation hall at Montego Bay Airport, desk #4 and desk #11. Visit them on the web for more details about transfers and tours of the island. Their phone number is (876) 952-1126 or (888) 250-4504 (from USA or Canada).
* JUTA (Jamaican Union Taxi association) Negril chapter offers van and bus transfers to Negril. To book phone (876) 957-9197. (Please note that JUTA Negril is a different company than JUTA Montego Bay). There is a booth just by the exit from customs at the Montego Bay airport representing JUTA (Jamaican Union Taxi association) Montego Bay chapter. This second branch of JUTA also offers return trips transfers to Negril resort hotels.
* Montego Bay Airport Transfers- Air-conditioned and clean Private transfers to to ALL Hotels. Groups, couples and individual transfers. www.montegobayairporttransfers.com
*Jamaica Exquisite Transfer and Tours They are always on time, reliable, friendly with excellent customer service. Telephone: USA/Canada (954) 353-1913 Jamaica (1876) 821-3447. Web: www.jamaicaexquisitetours.com
* Island Pride Tours they offer private transfers from Montego Bay airport to all hotels and villas in Negril. Call them at (876) 472-3119 or see their website www.islandpridetours.com
* Jamaica Hidden Treasures Vacations and Tours Ltd. offers private transfers to and from MBJ Airport and all Negril hotels villas. For more information visit www.jhtvt.com or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for call for information or reservation (876) 276-5800.
* Jamaica Tours Ltd. provides both shared or private transfers to and from Negril. Their fleet includes 49-seat motor-coaches, 10-seat Mercedes Benz buses, Mercedes Benz S Class cars, and other vehicles. Transfers by JTL can be arranged at desk #21 in the transportation hall at the Montego Bay Airport or you can phone (876) 953-3700, e-mail email@example.com, or book on-line at http://www.jamaictoursltd.com.
*Luxurious Carib Tours and Taxi Jamaica offer Private Airport Transfer, Taxi Service, Sightseeing Tours, Excursion and other Transportation service from Montego Bay Airport to Negril, Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, Lucea and Kingston. For more info call (876) 798-8382 or (876) 816-6503 email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit website www.luxuriouscaribtoursjamaica.com
* Pryce Taxi and Tours Jamaica offers shared and private transfers to and from Negril resorts. For more info call (876) 577-3164 or visit http://www.prycetaxiandtoursjamaica.com
* Jamaica Airport Transfer specializing in airport transfers from Montego Bay Airport MBJ to all Negril resorts. With a chauffeur driven air conditioned car or bus to and from the airport in Montego Bay. They can be reached at (876) 362-3184 or (876) 596-0796 or e-mail email@example.com.
* Jamaican Taxi Tours for airport transportation and tours. Providing private transfers from Montego Bay airport to anywhere in Jamaica. firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.jamaicantaxitours.com/
* John Wayne taxi and tour guide offers airport transfers, local trips, and excursions from Negril, to anywhere in Jamaica for up to 8 people in an air conditioned minibus. To book your airport transfer or trips. E-mail: email@example.com or call (876) 899-7516.
* Turner Taxis and Tours Jamaica offers private (Negotiable) transportation from Montego Bay airport to Negril with refreshments and your choice of stopping at points of interest on the way to Negril. To learn more call (876) 461-7452 or their Website above.
* Montego Bay To Negril Transportation offers private transportation to and from Montego Bay to Negril. Their website is https://montegobayairporttonegril.com This company works with a group of licensed taxi and tour transportation from Montego Bay to Negril. All operators vehicles are air conditioned, insured and approved by Jamaica Tourist Board. Call (607) 438-0469 and speak to reservation.
* Clive's Transport Service provides transfers from the airport to Negril via air-conditioned vans and provide you with refreshments. Book on-line at http://www.clivestransportservicejama... or call (876) 869-7571.
* Champion Tours Negril provides transportation and tours in and around Negril and throughout Jamaica. Contact Champion at (876) 377-4793 or e-mail ChampionToursNegril@gmail.com.
* Kingsley James of Take Care Tours, www.kingsleystakecaretours.com, is available for private or group transportation throughout the island in a comfortable van. Based in the West End, with 20 years experience. E-mail reservations to firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (876) 885-1383.
* Dudley Warren's Big Ship Tours will provide both tours and airport transfer to and from Negril with a/c vans and cold drinks. Call them at (876) 995-4210.
* Reggae Tours offers airport transfer service in an air-conditioned bus or van with a capacity of 7, 16, or 29 passengers. They can be contacted at (876) 772-3327 or on the web at www.reggae-tours.com.
* George "Shorty" Graham operates Shorty Tours. The company conducts tours of all parts of Jamaica in addition to doing airport transfers. Call "Shorty" at (876) 372-3360 for more information.
* Explore Jamaica Transportation & Tours has been transporting visitors to all parts of Jamaica for over 15 years. Their phone number is (876) 850-9892.
* MBT Tours offers 24 hour service to Negril and all other resort areas in Jamaica. They can be reached at (876) 448-5254 or you can e-mail them at email@example.com.
* Fabian Tours offers transfers and an included tour (as a package) for a single price. The tour includes Rick's Cafe plus a shopping stop in Negril. Call them at (876) 369-1303 or see them on the web at http://www.fabiantours.com for this unique offer.
* Alfred's Taxi and Tours offers free return transfers from Negril to the airport in Montego Bay. When you book Alfred to pick you up at the airport and take you on a full day tour, he will take you back to the airport for free (contact for full details). E-mail Alfred for a ride or tour at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (876) 854-8016.
* Road 2 Negril offers airport transfers and private tours of the Negril area. You can reserve your ride in advance by calling (876) 562-6001. Road 2 Negril drivers have vans capable of carrying up to eight passengers with luggage.
* Talk Of The Town can be contacted by phone at (876)462-5920 or see them on the web at http://www.talkofthetownnegril.com/.
* Alrick Allen www.yourjamaicantourguide.com
* Joe Cool Taxi provides both shared and private transfers between the airport and Negril. Joe Cool will provide you with free drinks during the trip and free international calls to your family at home letting them know that you have arrived. For details see their website www.joecooltaxiandtoursjamaica.com or phone (876) 390-1614.
* PG Tours is a ground transportation company that offer tours, airport transfers, and excursions for resort guests and cruise ship passengers. You can phone them at (876) 851-5729.
* Amstardmc.com is an airport transport company based in Mexico with more than 20 years of service. You can book a transfer either on-line or you can phone them from the USA and Canada at (877) 329-4461 or phone them from Mexico at 01 800 267-8270.
* Paradise Palms Jamaica Tours & Airport Transfers offers transportation services from Montego Bay airport. Available seven days a week from Sangster's International airport (MBJ) to hotels and resorts across the island. You can e-mail them at email@example.com visit their web site www.paradisepalmsjamaicatours.com or call them in the UK at 0044 2085996516 00447986508439.
* Travel Around Jamaica Tours specializes in private transfers from the Montego Bay airport to Negril. They also provide private transportation for tours of Negril, such as to the Negril Mineral Springs, and to other attractions such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho, Rios. You can call them at (876) 287-2180 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
* Karandas Tours offer Jamaica Airport Transfers, Chauffeur Services, Tours and Excursions at affordable prices. Drivers are natives who are trained. All vehicles are inspected and licensed by the Jamaica Tourist Board and fully air-conditioned for your comfort. Telephone: 1 (876) 974-2063
Some of the transfer operators listed above have a desk in the arrival hall at the Montego Bay airport (located just as you exit from customs). If there is a desk for the transfer operator in the arrival hall then you can arrange transfers when you arrive in Montego Bay. In addition, most of these transfer operators will allow you to make reservations in advance of your arrival in Montego Bay. Advanced reservations can by made by phone, by e-mail, or via most operators website.
Other transfer operators, those without a desk in the arrival hall but who take advance reservations, will have you turn right and exit the arrival hall to meet their driver. You can make advance reservations with them by phone, by e-mail, or via most operators website.
If you make an advance reservation for transfers be sure to ask which option is being used by your transfer operator. Set the price of the transfer before starting the trip if you have not prepaid for the transfer. If possible, take a written conformation of any transfer reservation you make in advance (for example a copy of an e-mail conformation).
Kingston Bus Those people landing in Kingston can take a bus from Kingston to Negril. Bus service is offered from downtown Kingston to downtown Negril several times most days of the week by South Coast Express (along the south coast of Jamaica) and by Knutsford Express (along the north shore of Jamaica including Montego Bay). Service is very limited on weekends and public holidays. The trip from Kingston to Negril takes about 5 hours each way with several stops along the way on each of the two bus routes.
For more information about days of operation, the departure and arrival schedule and prices you can e-mail South Coast Express at email@example.com or call (876) 957-3751 or see http://www.timeinjamaica.com/south_co.... You can call Knutsford Express at (876) 971-1822or see their web site http://www.knutsfordexpress.com/. A taxi will be required to reach any Negril hotel from the drop off point in downtown Negril. A second taxi will be required from the Kingston airport to the bus departure point in downtown Kingston.
It is also possible to use Knutsford Express for the trip from downtown Montego Bay to downtown Negril. In this case a taxi will be required from the Montego Bay airport to the bus departure point in downtown Montego Bay. A second taxi will be required to reach any Negril hotel from the drop off point in downtown Negril. Travel time between downtown Montego Bay and downtown Negril is about 90 minutes. Neither bus line stops at or near either international airport (the airport in Kingston or the airport in Montego Bay) or at or near any hotel or resort in Negril, only in the downtown area of both cities.
Note: Sandals Negril is the only hotel in Negril that offers free transfers from the Kingston airport to Negril. If you are landing in Kingston and staying at Sandals Negril, call the Sandals reservation center or the hotel directly to confirm your flight details and the transfer arrangements. If you are staying at any other hotel in Negril you will need to arrange your own transfer to/from the Kingston airport and your hotel in Negril. No tour operator offers free transfers from Kingston to Negril. Travell time from Kingston to Negril is about 5 hours one way. Transfers from Kingston to Negril can also be made by air, see below.
Taxi Regular taxi service is also available from Montego Bay to Negril. There is a taxi stand located just outside the arrival hall (exit to the right) at the Montego Bay airport. A private transfer by taxi for a group of 1 to 4 people should cost about $US60 to $US80 per taxi (plus tip) one way. Use only a licensed taxi with a red license plate and two white letters, one of which is 'P', and digits (for example 'PA1234'). Bargain with the driver to get the best price. Set the price of the transfer before starting the trip.
The distance from the Montego Bay airport to the first Negril hotel (at the north end of Bloody Bay) is about 45 miles. It is an additional 10 miles or so to the hotels on the south end of Negril (those near the Negril lighthouse). Travel time should run from 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min depending on the location of the hotel and on road conditions. Private transfers by taxi can shorten the actual travel time by about 10 min. over a shuttle bus and will avoid any intermediate stops at other hotels.
Plane You can also fly from Montego Bay to Negril. Timair, (876) 952-2516, offers air charter service for groups of up to nine passengers. Their web site is http://www.timair.net/. The estimated flight time from Montego Bay to Negril is about 15 min. The cost depends on the number of passengers on a flight (contact Timair for details) but the cost is much higher than a shared van or a private taxi.
A second operator, International Airlink, also offers charter service from Montego Bay to Negril for groups of up to 17 passengers. Their web site is http://www.intlairlink.net/index.aspx or phone (876) 940-6660.
In addition, once you arrive in Negril you will need a taxi from the Negril airport to your hotel. The exception is Couples Negril which is directly across the road from the Negril airport. Because the Negril airport has no landing lights all planes must arrive and depart during daylight (no night flights are allowed).
Note: Both charter carriers also offer charter service from Negril to other destinations in Jamaica including Ocho Rios, Kingston, and Port Antonio. Estimated one way flight times from Negril are: Kingston 35 min., Ocho Rios 30 min., and Port Antonio 45 min.
Helicopter The final option is to fly via helicopter. There are three companies that offer this service: Captain John's Island Hoppers (876) 974-1285, their web site http://www.jamaicahelicopterservices...., and Jamaica Customized Vacations & Services (876) 863-1798, their web site is http://www.jcvtt.com/. Also, Paradise Palms Jamaica Tours phone (876) 979-2021 or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org or see their website http://paradisepalmsjamaicatours.com. They all fly to the Negril airport. Helicopter transfers are one of the fastest ways to get to Negril and gives you a bonus aerial view of Jamaica. The cost of a transfer to Negril by helicopter is higher than flying and much higher than by van or private taxi. Contact each company for a price quotation.
In addition, once you arrive in Negril you will need a taxi from the Negril airport to your hotel. The exception is Couples Negril which is directly across the road from the Negril airport. Because the Negril airport has no landing lights all helicopter flights must arrive and depart during daylight (no night flights are allowed).
Note: Because of space and weight limits, bags may be sent to/from Negril by road rather than being on the helicopter during a transfer. Ask each operator about any weight limits and/or bag limits on a flight to Negril.
Note: All helicopter operators also offer charter service from Negril to other destinations in Jamaica including Ocho Rios, Kingston, and Port Antonio. They also offer sightseeing flights from Negril over various parts of the island. See their websites for details. Contact each company for a price quotation.