What is Travelers’ Choice Best of the Best?
This award is our highest recognition and is presented annually to those businesses that are the Best of the Best on Tripadvisor, those that earn excellent reviews from travelers and are ranked in the top 1% of properties worldwide.Learn more
Lima TourismLima HotelsLima Bed and BreakfastLima Vacation RentalsFlights to LimaLima RestaurantsThings to Do in LimaLima Travel ForumLima PhotosLima MapHotels
All Lima HotelsLima Hotel DealsLast Minute Hotels in LimaBy Hotel TypeThings to DoRestaurantsFlightsVacation RentalsTravel StoriesCruisesRental CarsTripadvisor PlusMore
Lima MotelsLima HostelsLima CampgroundsRomantic Hotels in LimaLima Green HotelsLima Family HotelsLima Luxury HotelsLima Spa ResortsLima Ski-In / Ski-Out HotelsLima Beach HotelsLima CasinosLima ResortsLima Business HotelsBy Hotel ClassBy Hotel Brand
Melia Hotels in LimaMarriott Hotels in Limaibis Hotels in LimaDazzler Hotels in LimaTierra Viva Hotels in LimaPreferred Hotels & Resorts in LimaHoliday Inns in LimaDoubleTree by Hilton Hotels in LimaPullman Hotels in LimaIbis Styles Hotels in LimaHilton Garden Inns in LimaRadisson Hotels in LimaHilton Hotels in LimaDM Hoteles in LimaWyndham Hotels in LimaPopular AmenitiesPopular Neighborhoods
Miraflores HotelsBarranco HotelsChorrillos HotelsPueblo Libre HotelsSan Isidro HotelsCallao HotelsRímac HotelsCercado de Lima HotelsHotels near San BorjaPopular Lima Categories
Boutique Hotels in LimaDiscount Hotels in LimaBackpacker Hostels in LimaBeachfront Hotels in LimaHotels with Shuttle in LimaLima Hotels with BarsHotels with Complimentary Breakfast in LimaLima Hotels With Indoor PoolsHotels with Infinity Pools in LimaAll Inclusive Resorts in LimaMore Lima Categories
Lima Horseback Riding HotelsLima Exotic ResortsLima Exotic HotelsLima Hotels with Rooftop PoolLima Hotels with Steam RoomLima Hotels with LoungeLima Hotels with Banquet hallLima Hotels with Valet ParkingLima Hotels with Bridal SuiteLima Hotels with BoatsNear Landmarks
Hotels near Circuito Magico Del AguaHotels near MirafloresHotels near Museo LarcoHotels near Plaza de Armas (Plaza Mayor)Hotels near Huaca PucllanaHotels near BarrancoHotels near Museo Convento San Francisco y CatacumbasHotels near Miraflores BoardwalkHotels near Centro Historico de LimaHotels near El Parque del AmorNear Train Stations
Hotels near Nicolas ArriolaHotels near GamarraHotels near Miguel GrauHotels near Presbitero MaestroHotels near El AngelHotels near La CulturaHotels near San Borja SurHotels near AngamosHotels near Caja de AguaHotels near Piramide delSolNear AirportsNear Colleges
Hotels near Universidad Norbert WienerHotels near University of LimaHotels near Universidad San Martin de PorresHotels near National Agrarian UniversityHotels near Universidad Peruana de Ciencias AplicadasHotels near Universidad Ricardo PalmaHotels near National University of San MarcosHotels near University of Sciences and HumanitiesPopular Hotel Categories
Plan Your Trip to Lima: Best of Lima Tourism
Lima, founded by Francisco Pizarro in 1535, is a fascinating city and a treasure trove of history. Explore ancient Incan archeological sites, or stroll through the elegant cathedrals and opulent palaces dating from Spanish colonial times. Downtown Lima is crowded, but you'll enjoy exploring the city's neighborhoods—especially the beachfront areas, which have great shopping and dining and fabulous hotels.
Places to see, ways to wander, and signature experiences.See all
A mix of the charming, modern, and tried and true.See all
Can't-miss spots to dine, drink, and feast.See all
The Ultimate Adrenaline Rush in Peru’s Capital
Exploring Colonial Catacombs and Pre-Columbian Pyramids too tame for you? Don’t worry. Lima has a lot to offer adventurous souls in search of heart-pounding experiences. In and around the city, you can find plenty of activities that will make your pulse race. As a Trip Designer for Reco, I’m all about finding high-octane outings for travelers coming to Peru. My only question is…do you dare?
BillyK, Lima, Peru
- Buggy Huacachina610Further south, outside the city toward the Ica region, you’ll find an oasis of fun and adventure. That is a real-deal oasis—complete with water and palm trees all surrounded by tall sand dunes. Hop on a dune buggy and go for a fast and bumpy wild ride around this desert scenery, then slide down on a board—the desert’s version of boogie-boarding—´till your shoes are full of sand. Finish out the day watching a color-shifting sunset in this otherworldly place.
- Lunahuana Rafting Peru147A favorite getaway for Lima locals, the town of Lunahuana makes a great day trip or weekend away at just two-and-a-half hours outside of the city. Plenty of visitors come to enjoy the countryside bobbing along the Cañete river. But you can dial up your heart rate by opting for whitewater rafting and ziplining over the trees. And definitely make time for a pit stop in one of the local restaurants to sample the area’s delicious river prawns.
- Balcon del Cielo88An hour south of Lima, the small town of Azpitia delivers postcard views surrounded by mountains. It’s the perfect backdrop for mountain biking around the hills and vineyards. Set out in the morning, and stop for lunch at Balcon del Cielo, a local restaurant famous for its magnificent views of the valley and the local river. This area is also famous for its Pisco, so do as the locals do and stop, stow the bike, and sample a few.
- Toboganes de Songos10Up for more hiking and rock-climbing? Not too far from Autisha Canyon, you can find the small town of Songos where you can scramble around in the outdoors. But what makes this place extra special is a series of rock slides naturally carved by the river for thousands of years. You can actually slip ‘n’ slide your way down and then plunge into the cool river waters at the end.
- Puenting Peru6For a full day of adrenaline, head 50 miles east from Lima and you’ll reach the Autisha Canyon, a great place to spend a day hiking and rock climbing to find pristine waterfalls. End the day with your heart in your throat as you bungee-jump from a bridge over a rugged canyon.
- Mar Adentro Excursiones607If you like close encounters with Mother Nature, this is the activity for you. Just off the coast of Lima, you can find the Palomino Islands, an archipelago packed with a colony of more than 8,000 curious wild sea lions. These guys swim up so close, you can almost touch them. You’ll also see loads of sea birds and even adorable penguins!
- Tubos Surf School126Lima’s waves are famous in the surfing world, and the city hosts several surfing competitions throughout the year. If you’ve never been on a board, this is the perfect place to learn the sport. With several schools right on the coast, you can make a fun day of it and get inspired by the many pros who surf here year around.
- Parapuerto27Here’s a factoid: Lima is the only major capital in South America overlooking the ocean. Put that backdrop to use and go paragliding. You’ll pick up some wind and fly over the sea to get a bird’s-eye view of the city. If you’re lucky, you might see a family of dolphins surfing the waters underneath.
- Pirqa39Reach new heights here on the tallest climbing wall in Perú. On top of having walls with different levels of difficulty, Pirqua also has a great coffee shop and a super friendly crew ready to teach you the ins and outs of this popular sport.
Trending in the forums
Lima Is Great For
Eat & drink
Frequently Asked Questions about Lima
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Lima:
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Lima between December and February, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between September and November.