Plan Your Trip to Melbourne: Best of Melbourne Tourism
Our most popular tours and activities
Trending in the forums
Melbourne Is Great For
Crazy good coffee
Hip street art
Travelers' pro tips for experiencing Melbourne
In the words of those who've been there before ...
What is the best way to get there?
Melbourne is served by two major airports, Tullamarine (MEL) and Avalon (AVV), which is closest to the city of Geelong.
Greyhound Australia offers service to Melbourne; the bus terminal is located next to Southern Cross station. Airport buses also arrive and depart from here.
If you’re arriving in Melbourne by car, you’ll likely come via the Princes Highway.
Do I need a visa?
If you’re visiting from overseas, see if you need a visa.
When is the best time to visit?
The streets and parks of Melbourne lend themselves well to wandering, so visit March-May or September-November for weather that’s mild and dry and for the lowest concentration of crowds. Expect average daily temperatures those times of year to be highs of 24-17 C (76-63 F) and lows of 14-9 C (58-49 F).
Find more information on Melbourne’s weather and when to go.
Trams service most of Melbourne CBD and its suburbs. The City Circle tram—which covers popular Melbourne attractions such as Docklands, State Library Victoria, and Federation Square—is free.
In addition to the route 35 City Circle, there are more than 20 other tram routes operating within Melbourne. To access routes outside of the CBD free zone with ease, purchase a rechargeable Myki card at tram stops, train stations, or 7-Eleven stores.
All of Melbourne’s taxis operate on a meter system and a prepaid system comes into effect after 10:30 p.m.
The City Loop light railway connects the five inner city stations of Southern Cross Station, Flagstaff, Melbourne Central, Parliament, and Flinders Street. Melbourne also has an overground train system that connects the city to the suburbs. Check timetables and routes.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Melbourne:
- Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour from Melbourne
- Phillip Island Penguin, Brighton Beach, Moonlit Sanctuary from Melbourne
- Great Ocean Road Tour Plus Koalas, Forest Walk And Morning Tea.
- Small-Group Phillip Island Penguin Parade Day Tour from Melbourne
- Puffing Billy And Healesville Sanctuary Scenic Tour
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Melbourne between June and August, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between December and February.