Cairns Tourism: Best of Cairns
From Our Partners: Explore Australia's Northern Territory
The Ultimate Friends Trip to Cairns
- The Woolshed37This was the bar we frequented the most. It gets pretty packed late at night on the weekends, but if you're looking for a lively atmosphere in the evening, into the night, this is a great spot!
- Cairns Boutique Walking Tours4Booze and a fun walking tour, need I say more?
- Rusty's Market447Rusty's is a great place to spend a few hours. There's tons of exotic fruit to try, and the overall people-watching experience is always enjoyable!
- Skypark Cairns by AJ Hackett906I did Bungee twice while I was in Cairns. It is too scary the first time, so you have to go a second time when you can really enjoy the experience. The staff was highly trained and comforting during the entire process! ENJOY!
- Crystal Cascades371If you are able to find some mopeds to rent, it's a great scenic drive up to the cascades. You will likely need a swim once you get there, and the cascades are a great way to cool down!
- Esplanade Boardwalk6,107You can't miss the Esplanade. Take the 2A bus right into town and it drops you off nearby. It's a nice place to watch the boats, and the tides come in. If you are up for some exercise, there are always people running.
Trending in the forums
Rent a Home for Your Next Escape
Popular homes in Cairns
Cairns Is Great For
Rich indigenous history and cultural landmarks
Cocktails with a view
Travelers' pro tips for experiencing Cairns
In the words of those who've been there before ...
What is the best way to get there?
Cairns is serviced by Cairns International Airport.
Cairns’ Railway Station is the city’s main station and the terminus of the North Coast line from Brisbane.
Greyhound Australia offers services to and from Cairns to other major cities in Queensland. Buses typically arrive in the Greyhound Coach Terminal.
Do I need a visa?
If you’re visiting Cairns from overseas, see if you need a visa using this website.
When is the best time to visit?
April or September: Cairns’ tropical climate means that it maintains warm temperatures even during the winter months when the cities of Melbourne and Sydney get super chilly. For the ultimate combination of off-peak accommodation prices, dry weather, and fewer crowds, visit between April and September. However, between November and May, Cairn’s experiences what’s known as stinger season, when jellyfish are common off the city’s shores.
For more information on Cairns weather and when to go, check out some tips here.
Sunbus provides the bus service in Cairns; routes typically begin at Cairns City Mall and cover the suburbs, beaches, and city. For timetables and route information, see this link.
It can be difficult to hail a cab from the street in Cairns, so it's best to download a rideshare app if you’re planning to explore by taxi. Apps available in Cairns include Uber, Ola, and Shebah.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Cairns:
- Great Barrier Reef Snorkeling and Diving Cruise from Cairns
- Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, and Daintree Rainforest Day Trip from Cairns or Port Douglas
- Passions of Paradise Great Barrier Reef Snorkel and Dive Cruise from Cairns by Luxury Catamaran
- Ocean Freedom Great Barrier Reef Personal Luxury Snorkel & Dive Cruise, Cairns
- Fitzroy Island Day Trip from Cairns
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Cairns between December and February, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between June and August.