Sydney Tourism: Best of Sydney
Itineraries from real travelers
Trending in the forums
Dig into Sydney and beyond
Explore Sydney by interest
A slice of nature in the city
Fun for the whole fam
Travelers' pro tips for experiencing Sydney
In the words of those who've been there before ...
What is the best way to get there?
Sydney Kingsford Smith International Airport (SYD) is Australia’s busiest airport, with daily flights to/from major global destinations on dozens of airlines.
Do I need a visa?
All visitors (except New Zealand citizens), require a temporary visa to visit Sydney. Visit the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs for visa information.
When is the best time to visit?
March to May: The best times to visit Sydney are between March and May and September and November. You’ll find more comfortable temperatures and fewer crowds — which means you can likely nab better prices on airfare, too.
But if you want to warm up with the masses from winter back home, the average daily temperatures in January can hit highs of 30°C/86°F and lows around 20°C/67°F.
Sydney has a great public transportation network. Be sure to download the TripView app for train, ferry, bus and light rail schedules.
Buying an Opal Card is another must for getting around Sydney as it’s the easiest way to pay for public transit. For more info, visit here.
The Sydney Metro system is still under construction, but it currently has one line running from Chatswood to Tallawong. You can also get local and regional train service on NSW TrainLink and Sydney Trains to/from Central Station.
There are two tram lines in Sydney that can also get you around town.
Sydney’s massive bus network operates until midnight usually, and there are many hubs around the city.
The nine routes of Sydney Ferries are a great way to get around and see the city.
Though traffic can be intense, Sydney has bike lanes and many bike-rentals companies.
Taxis are readily available in Sydney for hailing and booking via the NSW Taxi Council.
Uber can be booked via its app on your smartphone.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Sydney:
- All Inclusive Small-Group Blue Mountains Day Trip from Sydney with Scenic World
- Blue Mountains Day Trip from Sydney Including Scenic World
- Blue Mountains: Three Sisters, Scenic World and Wildlife park
- Sydney Opera House Official Guided Walking Tour
- Blue Mountains Small-Group Tour from Sydney with Scenic World,Sydney Zoo & Ferry
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Sydney between June and August, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between December and February.