Porto Tourism: Best of Porto
Trending in the forums
- By alena1113 replies
- By Sarapotomac15 replies
Rent a Home for Your Next Escape
Popular homes in Porto
Porto Is Known For...
Old and new architectural monuments
Star-studded Michelin restaurants
Travelers’ pro tips for experiencing Porto
In the words of those who've been there before...
What is the best way to get there?
The city is served by Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport (Porto International Airport).
Porto has two train stations: the ornately decorated Sao Bento station for local trains and Campanha station, from which trains to the rest of the country and other European destinations depart.
Do I need a visa?
If you’re visiting from overseas, see if you need a visa using the following website.
When is the best time to visit?
Porto generally experiences a moderate climate that provides optimum conditions for exploring the city on foot. The best months to visit are May, June and September, when skies are typically dry and blue, and the crowds associated with summer are less-concentrated. Expect average daily temperatures those times of year to be highs around 74° F (23° C) and lows of 58° F (14° C).
For more information on Porto’s weather and when to go, check out some tips here.
Porto’s metro features six lines that run from around 6 a.m. until 1 a.m. There are more than 80 metro lines throughout the city, which are marked with large blue letter Ms.
See timetables here.
Throughout Porto and the surrounding regions of Vila Nova de Gaia and Vila do Conde, you’ll find more than 75 STNP bus routes. Porto Cards and Andante can be topped up with cash and purchased at most bus stops.
Tram and funicular
There are three tram routes in Porto; Line 1, 18, and 22. Line 1 runs along the west coast and the Douro River, making for a truly scenic journey. There’s also a single track funicular that runs from Porto’s Ribeira area to Batalha Square.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend staying at one of the most popular hotels in Porto, which include:
- Some of the most popular restaurants in Porto include:
- Porto is known for some of its popular attractions, which include:
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Porto:
- Authentic Douro Wine Tour Including Lunch and River Cruise
- Douro Valley Tour with Visit to two Vineyards, River Cruise and Lunch at Winery
- Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with Wine Tasting, Lunch and Optional Cruise
- Douro Valley 3 Wine Experiences with Traditional Lunch and Optional Boat Cruise
- Complete Douro Valley Wine Tour with Lunch, Wine Tastings and River Cruise
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Porto between September and November, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between March and May.