Milan Tourism: Best of Milan
Explore Milano neighborhoods securely with Visa
The aperitivo in Galleria
Milan Is Great For
Shopping sprees for fashionistas
The art of aperitivo
Stylish Milanese cafes and gelaterias
Trending in the forums
Rent a Home for Your Next Escape
Popular homes in Milan
Travelers' pro tips for experiencing Milan
In the words of those who've been there before ...
What is the best way to get there?
There are three international airports in Milan: Malpensa Airport (MXP), Linate Airport (LIN), Orio al Serio Airport (BGY). MXP is Italy’s second-busiest airport, and so has the most international flights. LIN mostly offers domestic service, while BGY, in nearby Bergamo, is a European hub.
There are several major train stations in Milan, and RailEurope offers rail service to/from many European destinations.
Flixbus has routes to/from many European cities.
Do I need a visa?
Italy is a Schengen Country, so visit Schengen Visa Info page to know if you need a visa to visit Milan.
When is the best time to visit?
End of summer. The semi-annual Milan Fashion Week, held at the tail end of both summer and winter, is the most popular time to visit Milan. During the sweltering month of August, Milanese flock to the Italian lakes and the city all but shuts down. You can expect average daily temperatures to hit highs of 30°C/85°F and lows of 19°C/75°F.
When you're there
ATM operates Milan’s extensive public transportation network. Download its app here for tickets, fares, schedules and more. Get its Travel Card for unlimited service.
Additionally, the MilanoCard provides free ATM transit service and discounts or free entry at hundreds of attractions in Milan. More info here.
There are four subway lines in Milan and an underground service to the suburbs. They do not run overnight.
There are more than a dozen tram lines in Milan.
Buses run overnight after the metro closes.
There are a few scooter-sharing companies in Milan, and they work via an app. More info here.
Taxis are available in Milan, and while you sometimes may be able to hail one on the street, your best bet is getting one outside a hotel, train station or landmark. You can also book via the Milan Taxi app.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend staying at one of the most popular hotels in Milan, which include:
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Milan:
- Lake Como, Bellagio with private boat cruise included
- Historic Milan Tour with Skip-the-Line Last Supper Ticket
- Italy and Switzerland Day Trip: Lake Como, Bellagio & Lugano from Milan
- Bernina Express Tour Swiss Alps & St Moritz From Milan
- Best of Milan Experience Including Da Vinci's The Last Supper and Milan Duomo
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Milan between December and February, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between September and November.