Explore Playa del Carmen
Plan Your Trip to Playa del Carmen: Best of Playa del Carmen Tourism
Essential Playa del Carmen
Trending in the forums
Playa del Carmen Is Great For...
Secret caves and cenotes
Exploring Mayan history
Up-for-anything party scene
Travelers' pro tips for experiencing Playa del Carmen
In the words of those who've been there before ...
What is the best way to get there?
The closest international airport to Playa del Carmen is Cancun International Airport. Buses, shuttles, and taxis head to the town from the airport. It’s about a 45-minute journey.
Do I need a visa?
If you’re visiting Mexico from overseas, use the government’s Visa Wizard to see if you need a visa.
When is the best time to visit?
Peak season in Playa del Carmen is December through March, when the sunny skies and calm warm waters are ideal for a beach break. Expect temperatures around 74-77°F (23-25°C). To dodge the crowds and peak season price hike, opt for the quieter months of October and May.
Temperatures rise even higher in summer (as does the humidity), but it’s also hurricane season from June to Sept., when storms and showers are common.
Playa del Carmen is small enough to get around on foot, and it’s easy to walk between the town and the beach.
Taxis are easy to find in Playa del Carmen and can be hailed on the street.
Colectivos (shared taxis) connect Playa del Carmen with nearby towns and towns.
Regular ferries depart from Playa del Carmen for the island of Cozumel, an about 45-minute journey.
Uber is not currently available in Playa del Carmen.
Are there local customs I should know?
- We recommend staying at one of the most popular hotels in Playa del Carmen, which include:
- We recommend checking out these popular tours when looking for something to do in Playa del Carmen:
- Tulum Ruins, Turtles in Akumal and Cenote tour
- Half-Day Sea Turtle and Cenote Snorkeling Tour from Cancun & Riviera Maya
- Chichen Itza, Cenote Ik Kil, and Coba Ruins Reduced Group
- Xplor Park All-Inclusive Admission - With Lunch and Drinks
- Playa del Carmen Buggy Tour with Cenote Swim and Mayan Village Visit
- If you're a more budget-conscious traveler, then you may want to consider traveling to Playa del Carmen between June and August, when hotel prices are generally the lowest. Peak hotel prices generally start between December and February.