“Good place to stay for the night”
Review of Slumber Inn

Slumber Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in New Minas
Yarmouth, Canada
“Good place to stay for the night”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

When we first booked, I as very surprised to learn that the rooms had either a queen or 2 twin beds! I've never seen that in hotel like this. However, when I arrived I realized that the rooms are not big enough to accommodate 2 doubles, so I guess having the 2 twins at least presents an option. It makes things difficult if you are travelling with children. My boyfriend and I went with his daughter. We asked for a cot when we booked, but they were already all taken. (There was an event going on in the area which brought a lot of families and children there, so I assume this wouldn't always be the case!). In the end, we did get a cot.

The woman working at the front desk was pleasant and helpful (Jennifer, I think). However, we weren't told about the continental breakfast, or where and when it was available. We were surprised when we went down in the morning to get coffee and saw others eating! But it was welcome. The breakfast was basic, similar to what you'd get at other hotels in this price range. I thought the $89 per night was pretty standard for this kind of hotel.

I am quite sensitive to noise and the slightest smell of cigarette smoke, and experienced neither. I didn't find the bed very comfortable, but my boyfriend did. So I guess it's a matter of choice. I didn't like that the sink is outside of the bathroom. I prefer bathroom and sink to be in the same room, and not on a carpeted floor. The shower was roomy for a shower stall, and had good water pressure.

Overall, a pleasant stay for the night, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had to stay several nights, or if I was travelling with children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This Hotel is definatly not my first choice but i was traveling on business and really only looking for a comfortable bed and that is exactly what i got! The hotel room was clean with a great shower, not a big bathroom but hey what do you do in their anyway. The room was not 5 star fancy but like i said; i needed sleep so it worked for me. I didn't eat in the morning so i cannot comment on the food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Shediac, New Brunswick, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were there in January and found it clean and in reasonable condition. The bathroom is a little small, having just a shower and toilet. You have to use the sink in the bedroom. There was no comfortable chair to watch TV, just desk chairs. The breakfast items are in different places so you have to ask or look around the lobby to find all items. The coffee is in the hall, the muffins are in the lobby, the fruits and cereals are outside the kitchen and the bread and bagels are in the kitchen.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I thought the property was over priced for what you get. Receptionist was not too happy when I arrived and more so when I requested a room on the ground floor. It is what it is, 2 star property that is clean, breakfast room looks like someones kitchen that is used for the breakfast. I"m not sure there is alot of choices in the area though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank amtiii
annieweedo, General Manager at Slumber Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear Guest: Thank you for sharing your experience at the Slumber Inn - New Minas. It is through constructive customer feedback that we learn to do better. However, we are a 3.5 star hotel under the Canada Select National grading program and have maintained that rating since 1999! Yes, we are very clean! We pride ourselves on the high standard of cleanliness we have adopted for our property. Yesterday, I had reason to contact a Limited Service property in Truro to book accommodation on a Saturday in February. Their weekend rate was $105.99 plus tax for one night. To compare, our weekend rate is $89.95 plus tax for one night. Continental breakfast was included as it is at this property. This rate is very similar to ours. Unfortunately with rising costs, it is no longer possible for us to offer $69 or $79 rates. We were just handed a 3% increase in power rates this month. The cost of purchasing towels and linens has increased by 22% over the past 18 months. Paper products in the past 12 months have risen 12 % and cleaning products have increased on average in the past 8 months by 8%. A property today, has no choice but to increase its rates to cover increased operating costs.

Yes, it is true, the ground floor level has been booked solid this week. We cannot ask guests who have already checked in to change to a different room. 80% of those who check in on Monday, don't leave until Friday. Certainly if we have vacant rooms on the ground level that have not been previously spoken for we will gladly accommodate.

Yes, we have a kitchen! We installed a kitchen to cater to our long term stays which have become a very large percentage of the overall business. Further, this facility has been an important attraction in maintaining repreat business. It is fully equipped with pots/pans, caserole dishes, roasting pans, dishes, silverware and glassware for those guests' convenience. They are able to access this facility at no extra charge. It is a service we provide along with the guest coin-op laundry room at the back of the lobby.

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely hope that this explanation has been helpful. Yours very truly!

Travelers are raving about these New Minas hotels

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The rooms are so very tiny - you have to go out in the hall to change your mind! Speaking of halls - they stank of cigarette smoke. They do not have rooms with 2 double beds - only 2 "twin" beds. Clearly they are still operating out of the 60's. The bath only consist of a shower (albeit nice) but no tub. The room carpets were dirty looking and I cringed to think about the bedspreads! No bars of soap - only squeeze bottles.
I would not recommend this unless as was the case for us - everything else was booked.

Room Tip: There is no elevator in this place, so choose the 2nd floor as this is ground level.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Mark S
annieweedo, Manager at Slumber Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Slumber Inn - New Minas! We welcome feedback both constructive and positive! Such feedback is how we learn to do better. It is only through guest feedback that we learn where we need to improve!

Our hotel opened for business in May '89 under the Choice Hotel Group. In fact, we were the first Sleep Inn in North America to open! The Sleep Inn line was developed specifically for the corporate traveller who is looking for an efficient clean room to spend the night with comfortable beds. All 80 guest rooms back then featured one queen bed/room. Shortly after opening, we were granted permission to convert 10 rooms from one queen bed to two double beds. However, two double beds would not fit so our only alternative was two twin beds. Yes, the rooms are small but the unique built in furniture along with the king size shower and overall bathroom layout was part of the Sleep Inn concept to make efficient use of space. In 1995, we became an independently owned hotel and changed our name to "Slumber Inn". Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do to change the physical layout of the rooms. It would be quite an undertaking to start ripping out walls which would cost a tremendous amount of money! However, what we can assure you is that we do re-invest back into the property year after year. This year's project included brand new 32" flatscreen TV's in all guest rooms, and a brand new security door lock system for all guest rooms and public entrances. In previous years, we have recarpeted and revinyled and painted sections of the hotel. All of our beds were replaced in 2008 and 2010 with the Simmons Beauty Rest, pillow top line. And, our program will continue in 2013, 2014 and beyond!

We have recently gone with a new system of providing bath products. The Slumber Inn is very conscious about sustaining the environment. Recently we have swtiched to a dispensing system which will cut down on the plastics going to the landfill. The product chosen is a higher end shampoo/shower gel called Pure Herbs by Swisssol. This dispenser is conveniently placed in the shower along side its complimentary coniditioner. And, there is a Pure Herbs liquid soap at the vanity.

We hope that you have a better understanding about the physical restrictions we face in terms of room size and bed size. With your recent visit, we hope that you experienced some of that downeast hospitality, that Nova Scotia is famous for, from our front-line team! The Slumber Inn is often referred to as the "little hotel with the big heart"! Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and we certainly appreciate your business!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband, son and I stayed at this lovely Inn for 2 nights in July on our way to Cape Breton. The staff were very accommodating. The room was very clean and comfortable. Housekeeping staff always willing to go above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible. The Front Desk staff were very helpful. We had never been to NS before and they not only suggested places of interest for us to visit but actually called one place in particular to make sure they were open! The Continental Breakfast and complimentary newspaper was a perfect way to start out day! I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone traveling in the Valley area with or without children :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank nlm_ns
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband & I were sooo looking forward to our much-needed vacation! On checking in to this "inn" I was immediately turned off by the female desk clerk's negative attitude, lack of eye contact, lack of even minimal concern and attentiveness for the clients' needs and relevant questions. I felt I was "infringing" on her time; when, in fact, she should have, as a matter of common courtesy, given us such info as, where the 24/7 coffee was located, whether it was gratis or not; whether or not a continental breakfast was provided; what was included in said continental breakfast; where one could search for this elusive little "feast"! Still, this annoying/ignorant lack of human eye contact! I was beginning to wonder if there were gremlins in the closets! We were shocked at the price of one night just to put your head down - basically! $100.00+ No wonder the tourists do not come around so much! Our room was thoroughly disappointing; old room; dirty carpet; the sink area was outside the bathroom & into the bed-room; the hallway sickeningly, smelled of smoke; inside our room reeked of smoke; the bathroom, especially. The shower was on a dangerous tilt, smelled musty; there were user-unfriendly cheap plastic containers of cheap shampoo & body wash - not even any cheap conditioner. Dangerously slippery without small plastic mat. Bathroom floor very slippery. No cakes of soap whatsoever. Minimal amount of towels. I wiped down furniture as was so sticky. The "duvet" was actually almost wet and sooo lumpy. We itched most of the night & refused to use the thing. I have been in Germany and have luxuriated in a fine duvet! There were no lamps[?even a small one for the sake of ambiance] The layout was horrible; I know a teenager who would have done wonders with this "room". After awhile we found the "breakfast" room which we were sure was actually a staff room. There were no rolls, which I am sure, constitute at least a part of a continental breakfast. Folks must share one of the two tables; we thought about taking our food to our room but felt we would surely gag if we did. Were informed there is a lot of smoking in this place and areas are "interspersed" so most guests are going to smell this toxic poison. The female desk clerk informed, on asking, that we were in a relatively smoke-free area; however, one could smell the cig. smoke clearly in the hallway, across the hall, etc. While all hotels should be smoke free; at least put the smokers up on the highest floor, especially when there are no elevators!! There was no table. This is the worst room we have been in; we could not wait to leave or have our daughter visit us there! This room was not worth half of what we paid for it! People work hard for their vacations & do not deserve such poor quality and service. No wonder most folks are now doing the "day trip" thing! Poor expensive lodging and poor expensive food will not get us again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank el c
annieweedo, General Manager at Slumber Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear Guest: I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments! You obviously did not have the best experience and have a lot of good points to offer! We take our guests' comments very very seriously! So, when I read your very long review of our property, my initial reaction was, "why didn't you speak to the front desk, or ask for the Manager prior to departure?" When a guest is this dissatisfied, we like to discuss these things in person and try to make it right! I am hoping that you will contact me, once you read this so that we "can" try to make it right!

Let me start of by saying, that we have been in business sucessfully for 23 years. If we offered poor quality accommodation we would not be the viable business we are today. As of April 1, 2012, there are only 16 units in the property which are smoking. 62 units are non smoking. Our "smoking" guests as well as guests who prefer non smoking rooms, will often smoke outside during the nice weather; however, upon return to their rooms, may bring the scent of smoke inside. Whether we are totally non smoking or not, this is very hard to control.

The breakfast area is very small! We recognize this; however, there is nothing we can do about the physical size of the room. We do provide trays and hope this will encourage guests to take their breakfast back to their room. During daytime hours when housekeeping staff are present, they utilize this area for their lunch and break times. The tables in this are are more or less for their use but we leave them there all the time to share with our guests as well.

The layout of the guest room and the built-in furniture, therein, was all designed for Choice Hotels. In the early '90's our property was a part of this hotel group. The king size writing desk was and continues to be one of our major selling features as it is appreciated by travelling business people and contractors alike!

As for our pricing, we do not feel that we are out of line for what we charge. If you compare other Limited Service properties in Nova Scotia that are of 2.5 star to 3.5 star quality, all are charging rates from $90 - $195. The Slumber Inn - New Minas rates are very comparable at $95 - $121. With increased operating costs as much as 30% to 40% particularly with increases in cost of power, staff wages, and general supplies, we would not create enough revenue to invest back into our property regularly. This year we installed a completely new electronic door system and placed brand new 32" flat screen TV's in all our guest rooms!

As for our staff, all have participated in "Superhost" and "Expect Excellence" customer service training. These programs are provided to tourism employers for staff by the Tourism Industry Association of Nova Scotia. Two of our team members have also graduated with their diplomas in Tourism Management from the NSCC Kingstec campus! However, recently because we have been so busy we have had reason to add new hires to the front-line team. Not always are we able to fulfill these positions with staff who have been educated and trained for this line of work. These individuals have to be taught the art of customer service and this all takes many months to instill those values into an individual. I am thinking you may have experienced one of our newer members of the team!

We all take great pride in our hotel! Sixteen years ago, the hotel was only rated a 2-star property! Since 1999, we have managed to hold our rating at the highest level for a limited service hotel of 3.5 stars! This has been through hard work and dedication of our head housekeeper and her staff together with our front-line team!

I am hoping that once this response has been read, the guests behind the review will come forward so that we can sincerely deal with this in a way that will hopefully be satisfactory to all!

Yours truly.....
Super 8 Windsor NS
Super 8 Windsor NS
#1 of 2 in Windsor
Micro Boutique Living Wolfville

Been to Slumber Inn? Share your experiences!