“mixed”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Great restaurant
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My partner and I just moved up to Meaford last month and of course, I refered to this site for restaurant recommendations. Well, Ted's diner came up and sounded interesting, so we took ourselves over there this evening thinking to have an interesting meal and some entertainment as Wednesdays are Jamm night. Well, we didn't stay for the band because the server said they were coming on at 9:30 instead of 9 and we were finished our meal at 8:45, so didn't want to stick around for 45 minutes. I ordered the snow crab cluster for $35 and my husband had the curried chicken which was actually chicken breasts with curry sauce for $19. I had the rosti as a side and the vegi's. The rosti needed seasoning, but was good otherwise. The crab was 2 clusters served with some garlic butter - and by that I mean garlic and butter. There was a quarter of lemon, but it was buried under the crab so I asked for some and squeezed that into the butter. The crab was good, but they made a slit down the main portion of the shell, which made it difficult to get the crab out in one piece. You could smell the oil coming from the kitchen and also, taste it in the vegi's and rosti. Fresh oil would have helped immensely. I tried the curried chicken and it was quite tasty. Also, I ordered red wine and then decided on the crab and I asked after if I could change the order to beef ribs, but the server said they had already started the dish - so no problem. But, astonishingly, she insisted on replacing my glass with a white wine. So, lots of good points for service and the food was tasty as was the desert. I did not feel overly full, which was good. But, it was cold inside the restaurant and the price was a bit steep for what it was. Not sure if we will go back as there are many restaurants to try in the area.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Our hosts at Irish Mountain suggested we try Ted"s just down the road from them.
Wow what an adventure, fun night and good food although it looks a little rough inside and out.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Ok, so we pull up outside a little Nissen hut off the main highway and our first thought was, "it's greasey spoon truckstop!" But one look at the menu (on chalkboards all over the wall and along the counter) and our jaws dropped to the floor in amazement! There were some "traditional" meals such as salads, steak and pasta etc but most of the menu is more like a safari trip!!

Elk, bison, crocodile, escargot, camel, emu, venison, water buffalo, kangaroo plus a large choice of fish and seafood - there's just so much to choose from!!

My fiancee is vegetarian and Ted kindly whipped up a mixed veg and chickpea stirfry on a bed of rice with a corncob on the side, whilst us carnivores tucked in to bison, sea bass and a seafood bake.

Possibly the quirkiest place I've ever eaten in and certainly well worth a visit. If I didn't live 3500 miles away, I would be making regular visits here to sample more of the menu!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Great little restaurant. If you want some adventurous meals this is the place to go. It’s like a safari on the menu: camel, water buffalo, alligator, bison, elk, and kangaroo. They also have you traditional steak and seafood. Big on taste and lots of food on your plate.

1  Thank Roberto I
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a great lunch this afternoon, August 9, 2013 at Ted's. My husband and I were joined by his Mom (85) Aunt (76) and Uncle (81) on our road trip from near Exeter, On, all the way up to Meaford. It was a great day traveling up and the weather was perfect for a drive. Minus my GPS that still thought I was in Ireland, but that is another review. Ted's is fairly easy to find heading east from Owen Sound on hyw 26. We turned the wrong way on road 112 but pulled over and asked some local farmers where Ted's was. They kindly obliged and headed us in the right direction. I think my Mom in law and Aunt in law were a little taken back when we pulled in because it is exactly like others have described, what we would call, an old steel drive shed. We only waited a minute inside the door when we were greeted by Bobbi who would be our waitress. She quickly prepared a table for us and was most welcoming. The seniors are used to ordering off a menu and they don't have any here! All menu items are written on chalk boards and creatively displayed on the chip board restaurant walls. No worries though for the older folks, Bobbi brought the lunch menu board right to our table and explained the special of the day. We all ended up having that, corned buffalo on rye with sour kraut, cheese and mustard, accompanied by the most delicious French fries ever! My husband ordered the soup as well, tomato, that Bobbi told us was made especially for him as the lunch soup was finished (it was 2 pm) and the dinner soup was still in the making. My husband and I are self proclaimed foodies and, not to blow my own horn but I do make some pretty awesome soups. This soup was fabulous, a creamy tomato with chunks of fresh tomato, green onions, chunks of cheese and just the right amount of spice. I had a taste so that I can try to replicate this at home. The sandwiches and fries were fabulous, Uncle Jake was sure that the portion would be too large and he would need to take some home, not a chance (at taking some home that is!). The portions were more than ample and even Uncle Jake who doesn't have the same appetite as he used too, cleaned up every bite! Pricing: I thought it was reasonable, people who say it is over priced must understand that we don't farm alligator or kangaroo much, here in Ontario. Please consider the cost of getting these exotic foods in before you comment on the price! Our lunch for 5 of us including a pitcher of local Creemore beer was under $20.00 per person. We are not rich people but I don't consider that all bad for a unique dining experience. There were less expensive options for lunch as well and without alcohol, a person could have lunch here cheaper than Timmys or McDonalds and the food would be 1000 times better. Remember to compare apples to apples :) After lunch, Bobbi ran outside as we were leaving, to take a picture for us in front of the restaurant. This was a 2.5 hour trip for us to get up here but we would definitely go again. I asked Bobbi about places to stay near by, thinking we may make a fall/winter weekend of it. Please do not even consider the few negative reviews, the people writing must be really fussy. Come in casual attire and be prepared to have a delicious, relaxing lunch or dinner with the friendliest of local people. Kudos to Ted and waitress Bobbi, you made us feel right at home and your food was awesome. We'll be back! Cheers! P and W Case and company