“Will never stay there again”
Review of Westover Inn

Westover Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 14, 2013

As an establishment that boasts "Christiopher Plummer stays here while performing at Stratford and is quite pricey it also hosts a whole floor of drunken rowdy painters who kept us up all night then took over an hour at 6am checking out sounding like a herd of elephants, yelling, ladders banging etc (there were 3 van/trucks of them). When we called the prominently displayed number to complain at 2am we got an answering machine. When we complained the next day to the staff, (a bunch of sweet students) that this establishment is not a Motel 6 and would like to speak to the Inn Keeper who was nowhere to be found. We NEVER received direct communication from the Inn Keeper rather through her staff informing us that the emergency phone number is in the information book in our room, (didn't think to look there at 2am), and they had no control over the behaviour of their "patrons". This was a room/restaurant package on a Saturday - not cheap! The package put us in the Terrace Wing which has been described as shabby/tired so when we saw a bunch of guys in painter's overalls as we were checking into our room we assumed they were working on the above floor. i was so exhausted the next day I forgot my coat and my hubby forgot to give them our room key. It took them 4 days to find the coat that I left in the closet and they wanted my credit card # to ship it back. After this disasterous stay you'd think at the very least they could have shipped my coat for free. The restaurant is good and staff very sweet, but the Inn Keeper should be ashamed of herself!

Room Tip: Avoid "The Terrace Suites"!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Iris A

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were attending a show in Stratford and decided to stay a night before the show. All the hotels were booked so we chose St Marys as an alternative location since it's quite close. The Westover looked charming. We were incredibly disappointed. I would not recommend it.

There are two buildings, the inn and this other building on the property. I would call it an expensive, shabby dormitory. The rooms are small. The amenities leave a lot to be desired. The beds are lumpy and sag. The pillows were flat. The linen is old, but I must admit clean. The bath towels are tiny and rough. The bedspread and shams were ancient and looked dirty.

My mother had the neighbouring room and had the same complaints.

I would not stay here again. I found it way too expensive for the quality of the room. The only positive thing I can say, is that it's clean.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, stay in the actual Inn. But, my recommendation is, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank leighf584
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is our second visit to the Westover. We returned here because of the charm of the location, the good service, good value AND the good food. Both times we stayed in the main building, an old turn of the century mansion. Our rooms were lovely and spacious, decorated with period furniture. The beds were exceedingly comfortable. The staff was downright courteous and warm. We saw many of the same faces which means there's not a lot of turnover. A good sign. The meal plan was probably one of the best features. Your dinner and your breakfast are covered and they were wonderful. The chef does a great job in offering a small but varied menu and perfectly prepared. It included an amuse bouche, appetizer/salad, main course AND dessert. A nice wine list to boot. The service was easy going, not rushed at all, which made the meal all the more delightful. For breakfast, try the French toast. Yum. We like this place alot. The town is quaint and close to Stratford and London. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building. It has all the charm. Room 5 has a neat little balcony that overlooks th...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'm sure at one time this was a beautiful place but it needs work. Paint was pealing in numerous places on the exterior. The cottage rooms were essentially suburban apartments. The food, however, was very good. The Inn is also across from a noisy municipal water works plant.

Room Tip: Ensure you stay in the main facility.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bruce w
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We try to get to the Stratford Festival every year, but left it too late last year to get accommodations in Stratford proper and decided to stay in St. Mary's. The Westover is a charming and elegant Inn, with great rooms and dining. It's not very far from Stratford, and St. Mary's is just a great little town with lots to see on its own accord - so don't think you necessarily have to stay in Stratford itself if you're visiting the Festival.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our second visit to this Bed and Breakfast Inn in St. Mary's Ontario. This time I chose a King Manor room in the main building as it was my husband's birthday and I wanted the evening to be special. We had a lovely room in the Inn, comfortable bed and sitting alcove. The Inn is over 100 years old and had all the amenities that you would expect. We went with another couple that stayed in one of the terrace rooms, that they said was equally as nice. The only comment was that the hallways were quite cold in both buildings.
We had dinner at the Inn which was specatular. My girlfriend and I both has the Sea Bass which just melted in your mouth. The service was flawless and we really enjoyed a nice evening with good friends, good food and quiet atmosphere.
Breakfast was equally as tasty and great service.

A couple of comments...I asked on arrival if the room had any wine glasses, which I was told they did not, but some would be brought up to the room. This never happened so we had to make do.

Also, I did mention when I booked the room and dinner that it was my husband's birthday. I guess I thought they might have at least put a candle in his dessert to mark the occasion. My confirmation also noted that they hoped we enjoyed his birthday celebration so it was not a hidden fact. It's a small thing, but would have at least showed that they were paying attention and making a small effort to acknowledge this special occasion. One never gets too old to enjoy a little more attention on their special day.

We really do enjoy this type of weekend getaway and will most likely return to the Westover Inn in future.

Room Tip: The main Manor was a good choice as it is winter so meant you didn't have to go outside for your...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank suzi52
Reviewed February 14, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Westover Inn? Share your experiences!