“Food was good but facility needs work.”
Review of Westover Inn

Westover Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 St. Marys B&B and Inns
stratford
“Food was good but facility needs work.”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I'm sure at one time this was a beautiful place but it needs work. Paint was pealing in numerous places on the exterior. The cottage rooms were essentially suburban apartments. The food, however, was very good. The Inn is also across from a noisy municipal water works plant.

Room Tip: Ensure you stay in the main facility.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank bruce w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We try to get to the Stratford Festival every year, but left it too late last year to get accommodations in Stratford proper and decided to stay in St. Mary's. The Westover is a charming and elegant Inn, with great rooms and dining. It's not very far from Stratford, and St. Mary's is just a great little town with lots to see on its own accord - so don't think you necessarily have to stay in Stratford itself if you're visiting the Festival.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was our second visit to this Bed and Breakfast Inn in St. Mary's Ontario. This time I chose a King Manor room in the main building as it was my husband's birthday and I wanted the evening to be special. We had a lovely room in the Inn, comfortable bed and sitting alcove. The Inn is over 100 years old and had all the amenities that you would expect. We went with another couple that stayed in one of the terrace rooms, that they said was equally as nice. The only comment was that the hallways were quite cold in both buildings.
We had dinner at the Inn which was specatular. My girlfriend and I both has the Sea Bass which just melted in your mouth. The service was flawless and we really enjoyed a nice evening with good friends, good food and quiet atmosphere.
Breakfast was equally as tasty and great service.

A couple of comments...I asked on arrival if the room had any wine glasses, which I was told they did not, but some would be brought up to the room. This never happened so we had to make do.

Also, I did mention when I booked the room and dinner that it was my husband's birthday. I guess I thought they might have at least put a candle in his dessert to mark the occasion. My confirmation also noted that they hoped we enjoyed his birthday celebration so it was not a hidden fact. It's a small thing, but would have at least showed that they were paying attention and making a small effort to acknowledge this special occasion. One never gets too old to enjoy a little more attention on their special day.

We really do enjoy this type of weekend getaway and will most likely return to the Westover Inn in future.

Room Tip: The main Manor was a good choice as it is winter so meant you didn't have to go outside for your...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzi52
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in September for one weekend night, as we were seeing a play in Stratford and did not want to do a late night drive back to Toronto.
St. Mary's is cute little town, and not too far from Stratford - only 20-25 minutes.
The main building for this Inn looks quite charming inside. The reception and check-in was professional and friendly. We booked the King Cottage suite, one of 4 rooms in a large cottage on the property. I can't write as to the Terrace building or the main house accomodations.
The suite was spacious, with a separate living room area with tv, and bedroom with a large King bed and flat screen tv.
The bed was reasonably comfy, the suite was clean. I think people need to keep their expectations realistic. This is not the Ritz... it's a nice, clean comfortable country Inn. Yes the bathroom looked a bit dated, and the decor was a bit 90 ish, but so what? Everything worked, it was comfortable, clean, and a good place to stay for the night.
We had breakfast the morning we left, and were quite happy with the food and service. No issues at all with the bill at checkout, which was explained in detail.
I would definitely recommend this Inn as an option when staying in the area, and I would certainly return down the road.

Room Tip: Suggest booking the cottage - can't speak to Terrace building or main house.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

There is nothing worse than arriving at a country inn, opening your room door to a musty old smell. Then as your eyes scan the room you don't know what is more of an offense - the 70's bedding, the old stained carpet, the worn upholstered chairs, the recycled tv or the bathroom sink that doesn't drain!!! And our room was upgraded from a queen to a "king", which is actually 2 singles pushed together with bedding that is washed once a week. How do places get away with this!!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Our recent stay last month at the Westover Inn was one we will never forget. We stayed in the main house which is an old Victorian mansion with gorgeous original mouldings and large ceilings. My husband and I stayed in a Manor King room which was spacious and even had a small balcony for us to sit on. Dinner in the dining room was magnificent, and I can see why the restaurant has CAA four diamond awards in the main hallway. The staff was warm, friendly, and very professional. Breakfast the next morning was also very nice out on the patio which overlooks the grounds. The front desk let us look at the Christopher Plummer room which was also very exciting as we came to see him at the Stratford Shakespearean Festival. I would definitely recommend this Inn to an older couple who are looking at getting away from the hussle and bussle of Stratford while they are here to see a play.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Manor are very nice. We never saw the other two buildings but we heard the Main House i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 41 in London
Stone Willow Inn
Stone Willow Inn
#7 of 7 in St. Marys

Been to Westover Inn? Share your experiences!