“Excellent b and b! :)”

Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 5 Selkirk B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend and availed of their romantic package. Breakfast was a wonderful surprise every day. We love that Rob and Laurel shared bits of their lives with us. It was truly a home away from home for the weekend. :) The package also came with $100 GC for a dinner for two at Gaffer's Restaurant and the food was amazing too. Overall, we are very satisfied with our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've stayed at the Evergreen Gate B&B 5-6 times in the last 6 years. Every visit has been excellent. Rob and Laurel, the hosts, are great. I always enjoy visiting with them over breakfast and at other times. They are very helpful in providing information on the area, including the restaurants. I'm on fishing trips during my visits and they provide the extras I need, such as storage space for my equipment in their garage and use of a freezer. The location is very quiet on a rural road yet it's less than a mile from the town of Selkirk. The yard is lovely as is the house. The house has lots of windows in the breakfast area so you have good views of the flowers and trees. There is a nice sitting area downstairs for guests with a phone and Wi-Fi available. The rooms and the house are very clean and comfortable. The bed in the Asian Room where I have stayed is very comfortable. The room is quiet and the electric heating is silent. It's a nice location for taking local walks along the Red River.

I've stayed at many B & B's in North America and Europe, and the Evergreen Gate is in the top tier of the group. I recommend it highly.

Bill L.
Hudson, Wi. USA

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Laurel and Rob provided a bed and breakfast experience that we could have never imagined! They opened there home to my husband and I, our two teenage sons, my elderly parents and my husbands elderly parents. We had diet restrictions, varied interests, and my father-in-law who NEVER stays at bed and breakfasts. We ALL had such an enjoyable time! From the accomodations to the amazing meals, but most of all the details in our trip and the enjoyable conversation every morning at breakfast. Our trip to Winnipeg was greatly enhanced by the care and thoughtfulness of Laurel and Rob. If we go back to Winnipeg, we will DEFINITELY stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My wife and I were in Winnipeg with my mother-in-law to attend a wedding at which I was the piper. We stayed with Rob and Laurel for 5 days and used their beautiful home as a base of operations for the wedding and for visiting friends around Winnipeg and the Interlake. My wife and I were in the Safari Room and my mother-in-law was in 2nd basement bedroom. We made good use of the sitting area/kitchenette located between our rooms.

This easy-to-find B&B is located on a quiet, beautifully manicured lot on the Red River north of Winnipeg. Our accommodations were roomy, comfortable, well-appointed and quiet.

Rob served up a different, delicious breakfast each day. The breakfasts were served in a screened-in sunroom.

We found our hosts informed and informative. They were always available, but never intrusive. They were also very tolerant (as were their neighbors) of someone playing the bagpipe on their lawn.

We plan to stay at Evergreen Gate again and would recommend it, without qualification.

Room Tip: We found the descriptions on the website to be both honest and accurate
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I returned to Selkirk to attend my husband's 50th high school reunion. We shared the lower level at Evergreen B & B with some friends and it was the perfect set up. Laurel and Rob were the BEST hosts serving up luscious breakfasts and getting us caught up on the Selkirk scene. The bedrooms were well appointed with the comfortable beds and beautiful linens to the array of toiletries at our disposal. We made good use of the relaxing family room downstairs, complete with kitchen, to have a nightcap or a morning cup of coffee. The gardens were beautiful and there were lots of places to enjoy a little read or simply take in the scenery. If we get back to Selkirk, we will definitely stay at Evergreen. Thanks again for a great stay.
Linda and Bill

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We attended a Selkirk high school reunion and found the Evergreen through Tripadvisor. Rob and Laurel were excellent hosts, preparing superb breakfasts each morning served in a screened veranda.
Their house is located on a large landscaped lot which makes for a very tranquil setting. We never did use the outdoor hot tub as our reunion events kept us too busy! Besides, the weather was too hot during the three days we were there. The rooms were well air conditioned so sleeping was not a problem.
We opted for the Safari room and our good friends stayed in the other room on the lower level. This arrangement worked great for us as we shared a common area kitchen for cold beverages and snacks. Unless you enjoy socializing with strangers, this may not be an advantage for solo couples. The third room is located upstairs (which we didn't see), and might work better for those who want their own space - although part of the B & B experience is meeting other travelers.
Given the perceived lack of decent hotel accommodation in Selkirk, the Evergreen would again be our choice for a Selkirk stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Evergreen Gate for 2 nights and awoke to a freshly made and delicious breakfast each morning. Rob is an excellent cook and both Rob and Laurel made us feel very welcome in their beautiful home.

The house is very unique and modern, unlike other B&B's I have stayed at. My wife and I were the only guests during our stay and I feel if other guests had been present, I may not have had such a pleasant stay due to the close proximity of two of the guestrooms and a shared common area right outside our rooms door. Other people might really like that, however I'm not really interested in mingling with strangers, but like I said, we were the only guests so we had the whole place to ourselves so it wasn't an issue at all. It was really nice that the common area included a kitchenette.

This would be the perfect place to have a mini family or friend get together, since you could rent all three rooms and have a nice common area to play games and watch movies, etc...

We stayed in the Safari Room which had an ensuite with jetted tub, which was nicely decorated and very comfortable and clean.

It was raining on the day we checked out and we realized we did not have an umbrella, so Laurel lent us one of hers for the day since we had planned on seeing a few outdoor attractions and it came in very handy. Upon returning the umbrella, Laurel handed me my shirt that I had forgot in the closet. I needed it for a wedding the next day, so I was very happy since I had not even realized that I left it there!

This is definitely the place to stay if you are ever in Selkirk, Mb!

Room Tip: Safari Room!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Evergreen Gate Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!