“Spectacular views....”

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Spectacular views....”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Even with little kids, if you put some effort into it you will be well rewarded with stunning view on top of this mountain. The fortress is especially cool for little (and older) boys. Seems like medieval times surround you.

Visited September 2013

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Spectacular!”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Climb up there and have a look, you'll love it - as we did. Well worth the effort!The view is amazing

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Expatriate24
London, England, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Worth the climb!”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We really enjoyed visiting the ruined castle / fort at Hohentwiel. It was a little difficult to find the entrance road - the brown tourist information signs are there, but it is not always apparent which turning they are advising you to take! Once we arrived at the car park we found a visitor centre with loos, and also a guest house and restaurant which appeared to be open, though we didn't use it .

Tickets for the castle are bought at the visitor centre; they have some lovely books for sale on display in German, and I wished I understood enough to justify buying one! I was given a free leaflet in English with short info about the ruins. I recommend asking if there is a more comprehensive English guide to buy if you don't read German, as once inside the ruins there are lots of information boards but they are all in German only and I would love to have been able to find out more.

Make sure you buy tickets before going up the hill as you can't get in the turnstile without them.
Prices were very reasonable - a family ticket for €8.80 covered two adults and however many kids you had. As we have 6, we felt this was a bargain!

There is a reasonable climb to the castle from the ticket booth - about 20 minutes on steep, smooth roads. This was hard work; if you are not in good health, do find out about shuttles etc..

We enjoyed the walk up, taking detours from the road along a footpath with huge mossy rocks. We found lots of giant caterpillars migrating along the paths, which have now been identified as Cossus cossus, the Goat Moth.

Once you get up the hill, there is a kiosk by the gates where you can buy a drink and an ice-cream at reasonable prices, and enjoy wonderful views. Inside, the ruins are extensive and there are plenty of walls left standing, and cellars and underground rooms which are fairly intact, so you can imagine what it would have been like. There is a semi-restored tower on top of the hill which you can climb for yet more amazing views.

We spent about 2 hours there, though we were taking our time. There are picnic tables on top of the hill - it would be a great place for a meal, especially a Famous Five-style one, because the ruins looked like a great place to have an adventure!

Visited September 2013
5 Thank 345Angela
Hamilton, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“High Hill Singen”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

High Hill in Singen is what I called this landmark for a decade, because I did not know it's name. I just knew I wanted to get up there & on my return trip to Germany last month I did !
It was fantastic! Hohentwiel is a fortress ruins, apparently the largest in Germany & is just outside the town of Singen. There are signs directing to the landmark, although I did stop at a business office in town, to ask directions.
Drive two thirds of the way up the hill and there is a restaurant, a large parking lot, toilets and a museum of sorts. Leave your car there & walk up the clear, wide trail. Near the top of the hill there is another snack bar & you can pay a small fee, go through turnstiles & continue up to the ruins of the fortress town. It is well worth the small cost. Views are fantastic; there is a watch tower at the top which you can climb & also a voice box, which takes a euro, and then tells the story of the fortress through the ages. It was fascinating; even Napoleon was there !
From the viewpoint high on the hill you can see the the Alps on a clear day as well as Konstanz, 40 miles away.

Visited May 2013