“Chilled Out Break”
Review of Temple Lodge & Spa

Temple Lodge & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked Temple Spa as a birthday treat for a friend. However, on reading the negative reviews and learning that the place was in receivership, we were apprehensive about going. I'm happy to report that Temple is still as chilled out and comfortable as it was on my two previous visits. Yes, there is a 'For Sale' sign at the entrance - which is sad more than anything - there are fewer free classes (like yoga) and there is less of a 'buzz' around the treatment areas (understandable as massages, etc, are such good value on sites such as Groupon). But chilling out in the vitality pool area, with its steam/sauna rooms and loungers is a lovely, lazy way to pass an afternoon.
I can't understand anyone complaining about the lack of tea/coffee making facilities and TV's in their rooms. You can request a TV and there is an endless, free supply of Temple Spa water. It's a spa destination - not a hotel with a spa facility.
Overall, I would recommend Temple for a quiet, relaxing break. Rooms are beautifully decorated, clean, cosy and quiet - with amazingly comfortable beds. The staff we met were really friendly and the food was superb (although dinner is a tad expensive at €38 for three courses).
If you're looking for nightlife and lots of activities, this is not for you. If you want a peaceful escape - somewhere to recharge your batteries - you could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank JSC793

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

I have never written a negative review before but feel compelled in thid case. We stayed here for one night recently on a groupon deal. I was looking forward to it as i had heard good things but i was very disappointed. The place has a very sterile feel about it, there is no 'spa' feel, no sense of luxury. I expected a place that was spa only to have an amaxing spa area, it was tiny, bit of a joke really. So we thought at least the food should be nice (from the description on the website) we had a choice of 3 starters & 3 mains - that was it! Our deal didn't even include dinner do it was not as if it was a package. Staff were nice, breakfast was nice but this place needs a re-vamp to attract more customers (there was absolutely no atmosphere). If i had paid full price I would have hit the roof.

• Stayed: July 2012
7  Thank majookie
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We were lucky enough to be given a gift of a one night break in temple spa. It must be said we had slight reservations since hearing that the spa had gone into receivership some months ago, but never the less we were looking forward to the night away.

Unfortunately the entire ambiance of the property is one how is in receivership and so there is no monies available to spend on any pleasantries. We arrived after 5pm and there was no one on reception to greet us, we tried the self service phone but it rang out several times, finally a lovely member of staff arrived, apologised for the missing receptionist and promptly gave us our key. As we walked up to our room we were surprised by the “lack of soul” that the property had.

The room itself was fine, it was clean and fresh, but due to the obvious cut backs there was no tea or coffee making in the room, nor was there a TV in the room. So we were thinking of going for a dip in the pool before diner only to find that they closed the pool area at 6pm. So then we thought we might have a G&T in the lounge. The lounge was uninviting, no lights on and no back ground music playing, we sat there and waited for some time hoping a member of staff might arrive, but alas no. So we left and ended up going for a walk down the road.

When we went down for dinner we were greeted by the staff who were pleasant and friendly. Initially we were disappointed with the menu as it only gave a choice of 3 starters and 3 mains. But we must say we were very pleasantly surprised when the food arrived, the presentation was lovely and the taste was fantastic.
The next morning breakfast was equally good.

Apart from the staff and the quality of the food, it would be difficult for us to recommend Temple Spa to a friend in its current format

All in all the Temple Spa has the potential of returning to its best if they are lucky enough to find a buyer who can afford to bring the overall experience back up to the levels the previous owners had achieved before the recession.
However we have a feeling that with the proliferation of spas through out the country Temple Spa will not be able to compete unless a lot of money is spent on the product in order to position it above the competition

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kdpp
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was really nervous going after the bad reviews they got, however I was surprised.... it was really calm and relaxing. Tai Chi class & meditation, pool all really nice... food beautiful and lovely prosecco... Staff all really friendly and helpful. a nice touch would be some relaxing music in the reception when you walk in... its very quiet, but well worth a visit... will not disappoint!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2012

From reading the recent reviews, I went to Temple Spa with little expectation and even thought about cancelling my reservation with them. I am SO glad I did not.

I had a few issues trying to make me reservation in that an emal to the hotel took a few days to get a reply but apart from that our stay was fantastic. We stayed two nights and had a fabulous room, the hotel is fantastic for a place of rest and relaxtion. The staff have to be complimented in every way... many people say the Irish Welcome has been lost since the boom but that is certainly not the case here.

If you want a hotel that is quite, peaceful, clean, has excellant staff then this is your place to pick.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LisaM046
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I bought a grouping type deal for here and realising it was about to expire I went with my husband for his birthday. The location was nice and remote, I love being in the country.
On arriving the interior is very old fashioned but not in a lovely old country house feel, more like an old people's home, it really is the best way I can describe it. We went straight to our room which was very basic and then changed and went to the spa.
Considering this is what the hotel is quoted as a destination spa( ie no other reason to go there but for the spa) it is very disappointing, the tiny hydrotherapy pool was over chlorinated, had very little power and wasn't, hot enough to spend much time. There was a steam room and sauna, very no frills and a couple of basic loungers, that's it.
There was no sense of tranquility I expect from a spa hotel here, no lovely aromas, gentle music even the dressing gowns had Dunnes tags on them.
We booked dinner at 8 pm, we usually eat late, we were asked could we come at 7.30, we said we'd try, we went just after 7.30 and despite the fact the dining room wasn't very full we were asked to wait in the small room just off the restaurant no one came and got us till 8pm and we weren't offered drinks in between.
Dinner was actually the saving grace of the whole stay, my steak was beautiful, hubby's duck was good too and desserts were very tasty. service in dining room was pleasant and I felt a little relieved that hubbys birthday wasn't a complete disaster. We went to the lounge after. There are no tvs in the rooms or lounge, I was told I could ask for one but none available, I don't mind really it is a retreat after all. But saying this the lounge wasn't so welcoming, there was one scrabble board but another family were playing already. It seemed a fun idea so I downloaded on my iPhone and we played on that, too funny.
There was a group of 4 near us and they were also finding the feel of the place reminiscent of an old people's home( I overheard this) they were saying they felt like they were trying to shoo us all off to bed early(it was before 10pm).
So we had an early night had breakfast,was ok only,there was no wifi so hubby was impatient to use his new iPad toy I got him so we didn't even bother going back to the spa( that's how bad, I am a spa junkie) we went straight home.
Really no feeling of relaxation, no little touches of pampering, don't really see a reason for anyone to go here given thAt there are much better spas around for much less money. If I hadn't gone on a deal I would have been complaining.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Suzilily
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I Stayed in Temple Spa on the 26th May with my daughter.I have visited it many times .
This time i was sad to see the standard of service has declined.
When I arrived at 12 mid day I was checked in immediately and shown to my beautiful room.
I asked for a newspaper but was told they had not arrived yet.
After an hour I again asked and was told 2 papers were delivered and customers had taken them.
Just 2 daily newspapers???.
I then got in my car and went to buy one.
I also had to ask for a bottle of water for my room .It was an extremely hot day.
On previous visits to the spa I was always offered coffee on arrival and there was always plenty of newspapers.Also there was always 2 bottles of water in the room.[1 still and 1 sparkling]
I enjoyed my 2 treatments and dinner with my daughter Saturday night.
I spoke to a lovely staff member called Peter who I met on previous visits.I told him about my
dissappointment especially re daily paper.
The next morning at breakfast Peter approached me with a newspaper which he had bought for me on his way in to work.[What a lovely gesture from a lovely gentleman]
I did enjoy my stay and appreciate that these were minor things ,but it,s the little things that always made Temple so special.The attention to detail.
I really believe that the standard of service has dropped overall since the previous owners left.
Sadly I think this would make me think twice about returning.
Breda Keating

Room Tip: Room 110 is fabulous
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bredaoffalyireland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
#3 of 3 in Tullamore
Wineport Lodge
Wineport Lodge
#2 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Temple Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!