“Great lunch option”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Breezing through Moate as part of a coach tour we stopped for lunch at the Carvery at the Grand Hotel. Nothing fancy here, just great food. Generous portions, daily specials and the absolute best lamb stew I have ever eaten. Worth a stop here for lunch!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bitbytravelbug1
Cathal C, Front Office Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you for you kind response. We are so glad that you enjoyed your lunch here with us and I thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor.
We would happily welcome you back to our hotel any time.
Thanks again,
Emma.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Hotel

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The B+B which we had booked into in Athlone had lost our booking so we were on the streets at 23.00hrs on a bank holiday weekend. The Grand Hotel Moate were very welcoming to somebody making a late booking. They looked after us very well..
There is no lift in the hotel.
The corridors upstairs are not attractive - but whhat do you expect in an old building converted to a hotel.
Ground floor rooms were attractive in an 1990's sort of way.
The bedrooms upstairs are somewhat dated in style.

Room Tip: The main street is a quiet street nowdays do any room should be good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Seeburg3Leixfort
Cathal C, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thanks you for your recent review Seeburg3Leixfort,

I’m glad to hear you had a warm welcome to the Hotel. The Grand Hotel does have a lot of history in its walls, it has been operating as the Grand Hotel for over 30 years and previously operated as the Sun Hotel for over 25 years.

It’s seen a fire in the building over 50 years ago, extensions, renovations and heard a few stories. The main building itself dates back to the 1800’s. Our rooms and hotel have a unique character and charm about them with tall windows and thick walls and big chimney breasts. We also have free WIFI in all our rooms as well as digital television.

While all our rooms are fully equipped with everything you need for a comfortable and enjoyable night’s sleep, we unfortunately do not have an elevator in the building, but we are always more than happy to help each and every one of our guests to their bedroom.

We are actually in the middle or renovating the remainder of our bedrooms and we would love to welcome you back when they are all finished.

Many Thanks,

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Myself and three friends stayed here at the end of June 2013. We had booked rooms at the hotel as we did not want to return home until the next day. We all agreed that the rooms we were given were excellent and very comfortable. The staff were extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble - Cathal, the hotel manager, took great care to ensure our stay was an enjoyable one. We dined in the restaurant and thought the menu choice and the food itself was great - breakfast the following morning was also very good with plenty to choose from. We paid a more than reasonable price for the food and accommodation considering the quality. My friends and I are keen to make a return visit to the hotel and would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Cathal C, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Thanks very much Adrian. I passed on your compliments to the chef, it was great having you and your three friends stay with us in June. Looking forward to welcoming you & your group back again in September. You can see our newly refurbished rooms too!! Thanks again. Cathal

Reviewed August 4, 2013

On business trips around the UK and Ireland i must, over the years, have stayed in hundreds of hotels. The Grand Hotel, i class as one ot most friendly hotels i have stayed in. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were made to feel very welcome. The room was spotlessly clean, the beds were very comfortable, the water was piping hot and the evening meal and breakfast were sensational. The house red wine i recommend ! What more can i stay.
The position of the hotel on the main street is ideal and parking is free just outside the front door. Perfect! Anyone driving West/East or East/West will find this hotel an idea stop over or indeed a perfect place to stay if availing of the many local attractions.Many thanks again to the wonderfull staff for making our stay so enjoyable
Robert Alan Macrory
County Down

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to post your review Robert. We love to hear back your valuable opinions. We’re very happy to hear that you both enjoyed your stay. We pride ourselves on being a family run, friendly hotel.

Our house keep is as always meticulous on how she keeps the accommodation in perfect order and this really shows in all of guests experiences with us.

Our Private vines house wine, Tantehue is a particular favourite among our guests. Perfect to compliment one of our locally sourced steaks.

We look forward to welcoming you back again. Many Thanks, Cathal

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in a double room, did not think the room was good at all it was dirty hair in the shower etc.. Disgusting! That was only the start of problems i got a big long red hair in my cold meat salad which put me off eww... My boyfriends steak was well done when he wanted medium rare and steak is 25euro!!!
I heard this place was closed down at one stage as far as im concerned it should of stayed closed down

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 1234food
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for your review, although I think you may have the wrong premises. Firstly our steaks are priced at €14.90 and a maximum of €19.90, not €25. Our steaks are locally sourced within a 15 miles radius of the hotel and we pay a premium price for this. We do not however pass this added cost onto our customers. Our chefs have a wealth of experience in cooking these delicious steaks and cooking a med –rare steak is no problem for them.

Secondly the Grand Hotel has been established for over 35 years without ever closing or running into financial difficulty, in fact we recently refurbished our restaurant and we are in the process of refurbishing the remainder of our bedrooms. We also recently upgraded all of our televisions to High Definition Flat screens in all of our bedrooms and in the Hotel Lobby, Bar, Carvery & Coffee Shop. We also have recently installed a completely new Wi-Fi System for free access for all of our guests both in the Hotel Bedrooms and in the Restaurants.

All of our bedrooms are cleaned to perfection daily. We never receive complaints about the cleanliness of our hotel and our reviews on Tripadvisor and Booking.com reflect this. We value all accurate guest reviews but this review is either of the incorrect premises or not terribly accurate & I would be glad to hear from you if you would like to call the hotel directly to resolve this misunderstanding.

If you, as a future customer, are reading this I would urge you to read our other, more accurate reviews on Tripadvisor as well as on booking.com that really reflects the true hard work that we put into our service and quality at the Grand Hotel & Oak Leaf Restaurant. Many Thanks

Reviewed July 15, 2013

As I arrived to the hotel I thought that the service was great we were showed to our room and I was very happy as the man was very nice he said if we had a problem with anything to tell them. The staff were so polite and when we went to get food down at the bar I thought the pricing was a bit expensive but overall it was worth it the food was delicious. I was very happy there and I would definitely go there again:)

Room Tip: No tip everything was perfect
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had lunch today at the grand hotel. I am a coeliac and I found that the menu was very limited. I was hoping to have curry but it wasn't gluten free. I asked if I could have a sandwich but was told that they had no gluten free bread. I asked if I could have chips but again was told the chips were not gluten free. I decided to have the turkey dinner. For the €10.95 that I was about to pay I was expecting a decent meal. The selection of veg was very limited - carrots and cauliflower, and looked a little limp, so I opted to give them a miss and of course I couldn't have the stuffing as it wasn't gluten free. Therefore all I got for my €10.95 was two slices of turkey and three small scoops of potato! Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat any of it as it tasted terrible. The mash must have been kept warm for hours as it had that funny taste that over cooked potato gets and the turkey was dried out. As I was dining with two other people I didn't complain as I didn't make a fuss. No member of staff checked on us or asked If everything was ok so I left the full dinner behind me. I think that as a hotel more of an effort should be made for coeliac customers. I certainly will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank MARION H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Temple Lodge & Spa
Athlone Springs Hotel
Athlone Springs Hotel
#9 of 9 in Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!