“Very good:)”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good:)”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

As I arrived to the hotel I thought that the service was great we were showed to our room and I was very happy as the man was very nice he said if we had a problem with anything to tell them. The staff were so polite and when we went to get food down at the bar I thought the pricing was a bit expensive but overall it was worth it the food was delicious. I was very happy there and I would definitely go there again:)

Room Tip: No tip everything was perfect
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I had lunch today at the grand hotel. I am a coeliac and I found that the menu was very limited. I was hoping to have curry but it wasn't gluten free. I asked if I could have a sandwich but was told that they had no gluten free bread. I asked if I could have chips but again was told the chips were not gluten free. I decided to have the turkey dinner. For the €10.95 that I was about to pay I was expecting a decent meal. The selection of veg was very limited - carrots and cauliflower, and looked a little limp, so I opted to give them a miss and of course I couldn't have the stuffing as it wasn't gluten free. Therefore all I got for my €10.95 was two slices of turkey and three small scoops of potato! Unfortunately I wasn't able to eat any of it as it tasted terrible. The mash must have been kept warm for hours as it had that funny taste that over cooked potato gets and the turkey was dried out. As I was dining with two other people I didn't complain as I didn't make a fuss. No member of staff checked on us or asked If everything was ok so I left the full dinner behind me. I think that as a hotel more of an effort should be made for coeliac customers. I certainly will not be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank MARION H
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here for a meal on a car journey from Mayo to Wexford.
We ate in the bar as the carvery was finished.
The bar had a very tired look about it and looked like it seriously needed a good clean.
The menu was very promising looking. I ordered the Garlic Mushrooms which were edible but poorly presented and the Golfer's Grill which mostly was fine apart from the steak which was very well done (and for me inedible) and I wasn't asked how I wanted it.
My companion had the soup which was good and the chicken and ham which tasted good but not well presented.
After tea and coffee the bill came to €39 which, considering my local 4-star hotel offers 4 courses for €49, is very expensive for poor presentation in a bar.
The young man serving was very pleasant, he seemed to be stretched in duties as I saw him leave the bar to check some one into the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Really smart staff who made sure we had everything. looked after my nephew by getting his food really fast, they brought an extra table to us when one was available so we'd have more room.
clean and tidy hotel and staff looked sharp. they even said bye and thankyou!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

The Grand Hotel is centrally located in the town and indeed the country. The rooms are large and the beds comfortable. The hotel is well maintained and visually clean. My wife and 2 children ages 14 and 12 stayed here for a family reunion in the hotel. We found the room rates reasonably priced which included a very nice breakfast. The staff both at the hotel and funtion we attended in the hotel including bar tenders and waitresses in the restaurant to be excellent. We have stayed here about 4 times now over a 15 year period and it always seems to improve each visit which in my book is a very positive sign. I highly recommend this hotel for families or indeed anyone looking for a high end hotel at an affordable price. You won't be disappointed. They also have a nice cozy bar with an excellent pint!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24 which was large and comfortable. My brothers family stayed next door in 23 whic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cathal C, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you very much Gerry. We were delighted to have you and your family stay with us again for your family function.

We are very fortunate to have a great team of employees working at the Grand Hotel & Oak Leaf Restaurant. Our staff are always highly praised by customers for their efficient, friendly and polite service.

We are always trying to improve and recreate aspects of the Grand Hotel and we are delighted to hear that this is evident from your visits over the years.

Looking forward to seeing you and your family again. Many Thanks

(The secret to our great pints of Guinness is a great cold-room located directly beside the Guinness taps!!)
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Had some food in the Hotel last night.. I really enjoyed it.. Its very relaxing too.. The staff are fantastic especially Michelle.. She was lovely and really looked after us.. Ye provide a great service and keep up the good work..

• Stayed March 2013
moate
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Absolutely fabulous family run hotel. Staff are so friendly and helpful. Cleanliness is superb. Food can exceed any of Irelands high end eateries, Would highly recommend it to my friends and family. Prices are so keen for the services offered. Delighted to see that this establishment is doing so well in the midst of this recission.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your great review. We are glad to see that all of our hard work is paying off and that you enjoyed your recent visit to our refurbished restaurant.

Being a family run hotel we take our customers very seriously and are very fortunate that all of our members of staff work towards that same goal.

We lowered all of our pries in July 2011 when the V.A.T rate was reduced for the hospitality industry. In other words we passed those savings onto all of our valued customers. Same great product, but a lower price.

Looking forward to your next visit. Many Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Temple Lodge & Spa
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!