“Great for children, what about for adults?”
Review of The Grand Hotel

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Cork, Ireland
“Great for children, what about for adults?”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am always wary of comments, like: "great for children, children always welcome," etc. Now that my own children are grown adults, I compare the way that todays parents allow their children complete free reign; they are noisy, badly behaved at the table and a great source of detritus around the table, which is seldom cleared away before the next customer takes their seat.

Does this establishment have a "child free" area, where adults can sit and enjoy their food without cacophony of noise that usually accompanies children, especially from those allowed to run around in restaurants, which is itself, a safety issue, with hot food being carried around?

As there isn't any where for this kind of information request, I have given 5 ring ratings and other, fictitious data.

Room Tip: Look at the reviews before venturing into these establishments.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay in the Midlands hop off the Motorway and stay at this hotel. We did so on a whim and my husband said it's the most relaxing night he's spent in a hotel. We had a family room on the top floor and it was spacious, clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff were lovely and seemed to be permanently on the go keeping the hotel spotless. We ate in the bar which seemed to be a regular eating spot for the locals and there is also a restaurant which seemed to be popular with locals too. As Moate is almost smack in the centre of Ireland it wouldn't be a bad place to be based for a few days. We will definitely go back at some point and would recommend it for a good nights rest. It's a family run hotel and this shows in the care and attention you receive from the staff, beats the big international hotels hands down.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor and it was so peaceful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I’m delighted you all enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky to have a great team working together in the Grand Hotel to provide the best service possible. It was great to see you and your family back with us again, I hope that you also enjoyed your more recent stay with us. Looking forward to seeing you all again.
Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Having stayed here 2 years ago (in a very old fashioned room ) I was delighted to see here that management started to refurbish rooms in Sept 2010. With that in mind I booked for the second time. This time I got the same room. No refurb here!! Well not in this room anyway! The room has granny's flowery curtains, and one of the single beds has springs that creak like there's no tomorrow and dated furniture. The mattress did not make for a good night's sleep. I can only think that all other rooms in the hotel were full and that i had to be given this room. Bathroom was a good size and was well equiped. The room was a real pity because the rest of the stay was very good.
Great service in the bar from cheery staff. Bar food was more than adaquate. Since my last stay the hotel has made major improvements to the breakfast room and breakfast menu. In fact the choice fro breakfast was super. V good coffee too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Many thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear you did not like your room. Since 2010 we have updated half of our rooms and are currently working towards completing the other half for 2013. I’m glad to hear you did enjoy our Barfood menu which is extremely popular with locals and visitors alike. Also, as you noticed, we have recently completely changed our breakfast menu and serve a great variety of healthy breakfast and delicious full Irish breakfast every morning in our Oak Leaf Restaurant. The new menu (especially the chefs pancakes) is proving to be extremely popular with all of our residents. We are constantly working to provide the best service and comfort for all our guests and your feedback and comments play an extremely important part in how we begin to improve any aspect of our Hotel. Thank you for your review and I look forward to your next stay.
Moate, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family recently availed of the promotional offer in the Oakleaf Restaurant in this hotel - €10 for every main course except steaks. This was great value for money and the food was gorgeous. We had our toddler and baby with us for dinner and the staff were so helpful and friendly. We eat in the bar and carvery in this hotel regularly and it was lovely to go to the restaurant for a cange. I would highly recommend the Grand Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal and the atmosphere in the Oak Leaf Restaurant. Since beginning the €10 main course promotion in the Oak Leaf Restaurant at The Grand Hotel we have been exceptionally busy with families, groups, and friends and couples all coming to relax, unwind and sample some of our fine cuisine at unbeatable prices. It has been so well received that we are continuing with the special offer for an extended period of time. I look forward to seeing you again in The Oak Leaf Restaurant. Again many thanks for your review.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2012

great place, lovely staff, very child-friendly.
would definitely recommend.
E.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and i stayed at the Grand on the 4th July 2012.The staff were lovely nothing was to much trouble.We had a lovely meal the night we arrived the two young girls that served us were ver helpful.The full Irish Breakfast was very filling there was also a great choice for breakfast.We will be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wesley-smith01
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. The girls were delighted with their shining review. I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed our new breakfast menu in The Oak Leaf Restaurant where we have everything from homemade pancakes, fresh fruit & Yoghurt to Full Irish Breakfast. We are currently running a promotion for a limited time in The Oak Leaf Restaurant and on your next stay I hope you can avail of our offer where all main courses on our extensive A La Carte menu are only €10 (excluding steaks). We are all about offering quality service and excellent food at the Grand Hotel. Again, many thanks for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us. I look forward to your next stay.
Moate, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Being a resident of Moate I know this hotel well, but have not had much reason to use its facilities before. We recently had a family occasion however and my aunties, cousins, granny etc all stayed here. I have to say the service they received from the Grand hotel was exceptional. John Joe and co went out of their way to make sure my family were welcome and extra comfortable, nothing was too much trouble. He even dropped some drunken guests who were not staying but lived near by home at some stage of the night - early morning. He also offered a very competitive price to the group.
This hotel is not 5 star with jacuzzis and other fancy extras, its affordable, homely, welcoming, comfortable, offers great food and a lovely laid back atmosphere. Not only this but it has amazing service from genuine hard working and kind people, something which you wont not get from a large five star hotel where guests are treated like they are on a conveyor belt. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting moate or having a function in the town and my family will def be staying here again for the next big family do!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I’m glad you all enjoyed your family occasion at the Grand Hotel. We pride ourselves on going that extra distance for all our guests to ensure you have a great time during your stay with us. We are lucky to have genuine hard working and kind people working with us and they are the reason we are set apart from the larger franchised hotels. John Joe was more than happy to offer your family transport home, nothing is too much trouble for any of our guests. I’m delighted you all enjoyed your meal, and our chefs will be extremely happy to hear yet another compliment about their food as they are always working hard to provide the very best dining experience in the area. We have recently launched our new A La Carte Menu in the Oak Leaf Restaurant, and to celebrate we are offering all main courses at only €10 (excluding steaks). We look forward to catering for your next family occasion. Again, many thanks for your review
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Temple Lodge & Spa
Creggan Court
#8 of 9 in Athlone
The Prince of Wales Hotel
Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!