“Good family run hotel. Positives outweigh the negatives.”
Review of The Grand Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Grand Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Moate
Ireland
“Good family run hotel. Positives outweigh the negatives.”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Having stayed here 2 years ago (in a very old fashioned room ) I was delighted to see here that management started to refurbish rooms in Sept 2010. With that in mind I booked for the second time. This time I got the same room. No refurb here!! Well not in this room anyway! The room has granny's flowery curtains, and one of the single beds has springs that creak like there's no tomorrow and dated furniture. The mattress did not make for a good night's sleep. I can only think that all other rooms in the hotel were full and that i had to be given this room. Bathroom was a good size and was well equiped. The room was a real pity because the rest of the stay was very good.
Great service in the bar from cheery staff. Bar food was more than adaquate. Since my last stay the hotel has made major improvements to the breakfast room and breakfast menu. In fact the choice fro breakfast was super. V good coffee too.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Many thanks for your review. I’m sorry to hear you did not like your room. Since 2010 we have updated half of our rooms and are currently working towards completing the other half for 2013. I’m glad to hear you did enjoy our Barfood menu which is extremely popular with locals and visitors alike. Also, as you noticed, we have recently completely changed our breakfast menu and serve a great variety of healthy breakfast and delicious full Irish breakfast every morning in our Oak Leaf Restaurant. The new menu (especially the chefs pancakes) is proving to be extremely popular with all of our residents. We are constantly working to provide the best service and comfort for all our guests and your feedback and comments play an extremely important part in how we begin to improve any aspect of our Hotel. Thank you for your review and I look forward to your next stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Moate, Ireland
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family recently availed of the promotional offer in the Oakleaf Restaurant in this hotel - €10 for every main course except steaks. This was great value for money and the food was gorgeous. We had our toddler and baby with us for dinner and the staff were so helpful and friendly. We eat in the bar and carvery in this hotel regularly and it was lovely to go to the restaurant for a cange. I would highly recommend the Grand Hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal and the atmosphere in the Oak Leaf Restaurant. Since beginning the €10 main course promotion in the Oak Leaf Restaurant at The Grand Hotel we have been exceptionally busy with families, groups, and friends and couples all coming to relax, unwind and sample some of our fine cuisine at unbeatable prices. It has been so well received that we are continuing with the special offer for an extended period of time. I look forward to seeing you again in The Oak Leaf Restaurant. Again many thanks for your review.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2012

great place, lovely staff, very child-friendly.
would definitely recommend.
E.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and i stayed at the Grand on the 4th July 2012.The staff were lovely nothing was to much trouble.We had a lovely meal the night we arrived the two young girls that served us were ver helpful.The full Irish Breakfast was very filling there was also a great choice for breakfast.We will be staying again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wesley-smith01
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. The girls were delighted with their shining review. I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed our new breakfast menu in The Oak Leaf Restaurant where we have everything from homemade pancakes, fresh fruit & Yoghurt to Full Irish Breakfast. We are currently running a promotion for a limited time in The Oak Leaf Restaurant and on your next stay I hope you can avail of our offer where all main courses on our extensive A La Carte menu are only €10 (excluding steaks). We are all about offering quality service and excellent food at the Grand Hotel. Again, many thanks for taking the time to share your excellent experience with us. I look forward to your next stay.
Moate, Ireland
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Being a resident of Moate I know this hotel well, but have not had much reason to use its facilities before. We recently had a family occasion however and my aunties, cousins, granny etc all stayed here. I have to say the service they received from the Grand hotel was exceptional. John Joe and co went out of their way to make sure my family were welcome and extra comfortable, nothing was too much trouble. He even dropped some drunken guests who were not staying but lived near by home at some stage of the night - early morning. He also offered a very competitive price to the group.
This hotel is not 5 star with jacuzzis and other fancy extras, its affordable, homely, welcoming, comfortable, offers great food and a lovely laid back atmosphere. Not only this but it has amazing service from genuine hard working and kind people, something which you wont not get from a large five star hotel where guests are treated like they are on a conveyor belt. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone visiting moate or having a function in the town and my family will def be staying here again for the next big family do!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. I’m glad you all enjoyed your family occasion at the Grand Hotel. We pride ourselves on going that extra distance for all our guests to ensure you have a great time during your stay with us. We are lucky to have genuine hard working and kind people working with us and they are the reason we are set apart from the larger franchised hotels. John Joe was more than happy to offer your family transport home, nothing is too much trouble for any of our guests. I’m delighted you all enjoyed your meal, and our chefs will be extremely happy to hear yet another compliment about their food as they are always working hard to provide the very best dining experience in the area. We have recently launched our new A La Carte Menu in the Oak Leaf Restaurant, and to celebrate we are offering all main courses at only €10 (excluding steaks). We look forward to catering for your next family occasion. Again, many thanks for your review
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This carvery served the worst panini I have ever had. It was dry, tough and nearly inedible. My friend had the chicken goujons and chips and they were dry and tough also. Toilets a bit grubby and hand towel wet and finished with no alternative way of washing your hands.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank drjackyjones
GrandHotelMoate, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
First let me thank you for your review online. In response to your review I can assure you that all of our Paninis, sandwiches, baguettes and wraps are hand cut and made fresh to order. I apologise if you considered your pannini as dry but the standard of our food is highly regarded by all of our regular guests at the Grand Hotel. The chips are always cooked to order to ensure they are fresh and crispy every time. Our chicken Goujons are homemade from the finest fresh Irish Chicken Breast and are crumbed fresh by our chefs. They are slowly oven cooked and sell quite quickly for lunch. Let me apologise to you for this isolated incident, and I can assure you that it is an isolated incident. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service and if you look at the majority of our reviews both on booking.com and here on trip advisor you will see that all of our customers enjoy the friendly service, atmosphere and food here at The Grand Hotel. I would have hoped that if you didn’t like your food you could have brought this to the attention of any member of staff or management who would have been more than happy to provide you with any alternative meal. I hope you will return to the Grand Hotel so you can see the true service and quality of food that we are all about. Again, many thanks for your review
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2012

En route home from Galway to Dublin,we thought Moate may offer somewhere to stop for lunch. Virtually everything was closed at 3pm on a Sunday, apart from this place. Shouldnt have stopped at all. Very poor quality food and a very dingy room to eat it in!

'Grand'it may have been .. but it ain't any more!

Note to self - next time, pack sandwiches before I set off!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cathal C, Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We take on board all customer comments. We serve our extremely popular Carvery lunch daily from 1 – 4pm where we attract customers from all the local business, tours and similar to you, people travelling from Galway to Dublin. We have built up a large customer base by offering quality food and excellent service from the day we opened over the 15 years ago at the Grand Hotel. We cater for wedding, parties, confirmations and many more events where our food is always the highlight of the evening. Our customers have been returning to us for years because we offer quality food and excellent service at competitive prices. I can assure you that our hotel is far from “dingy”. Even from merely reading other more accurate reviews of our establishment it is clear to see that we are a very popular choice. It has been described here on trip advisor by many guests as “Great Place”, “Homely”, “Comfortable” and “Quiet, clean & friendly”. I hope you can call into us again and you can experience our true hospitality and service at The Grand Hotel. Again, many thanks for your review, we appreciate all valuable customer comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moate
Sheraton Athlone
Radisson Blu Hotel, Athlone
Hodson Bay Hotel
Hodson Bay Hotel
#5 of 9 in Athlone

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!