“Waste of Time”
Review of Karriview Lodge

Karriview Lodge
“Waste of Time”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

I purchased a Cudo voucher for a two night stay for my husband and I at Karriview Lodge and couldn't wait to get there. Upon arrival we were checked in - all okay there and shown to our room, which I believe was the Harry Padman 2. From there on it was all downhill! We were informed that the restaurant was closed for the days that we would be there, which was something we had not been andvised of beforehand. The room was most uninviting and totally lacking in any semblance of ambience with cheap furnishings, a balcony shared by three other rooms, a bathroom door which didn't close and the whole place smelling of disinfectant. On the plus side, however, we did receive a complimentary bottle of wine and my diet remained securely intact as the platter we received upon arrival consisted only of 1 piece of rolled up mortadella, a few diminutive slices of cheese and mini toasts, a tiny container of dip and 2 or 3 pickled veges, all presented on a small dinner plate. The 'continetal' breakfast, which was delivered to our door in the morning still failed to compromise my carefully maintained diet with it's meagre contents. On day 2 we packed our bags and checked out early without staying for the other night I had paid for. No questions were asked as to how our stay had been and an "okay, no problems" response was received from the yourng receptionist to whom I handed the keys. Such a shame as the location and grounds are quite loveley and their advertising looked and sounded first class. Perhaps it was the fact that I had purchased the stay through Cudo that we received this second class package?

Room Tip: See a photo of the actual room you will be staying in and not just that of best rooms used for adver...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Coril B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Karriview Lodge for 3 nights in October.

We stayed in the Evelyn suite which was fantastic. Zoe and her staff made the stay a wonderful experience - the weather was fantastic and the grounds provide a true Margaret River experience.

Room Tip: Evelyn suite was great
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed at karriview recently for 2 nights from a cudo voucher. Upon arrival to reception the receptionist was not overly friendly and left us while she showed other people to there rooms, after a short time Sarah greeted us and showed us to our room "Evelyn suite", first impressions were good with a large room but unfortunately the room had old carpet not over clean and the room got no sun so was quite dark and cold. We had no soap and after using the toilet could not wash my hands and was a nightmare to ask and eventually delivered to our room, 1 bar only for shower, bath and hands?? The shower head blew off so wasn't enjoyable but did enjoy a nice spa big enough for 2. The grounds were lovely we played tennis and had a nice walk. Breakfast was average nothing exciting, but adequate. We didn't sleep well as the garden lights shine through the main door glass, so second night we hung a blanket. Our room was serviced on the second morning - bed made and fresh towels but didn't empty rubbish or top up supplies. The room has no digital tv only gwn which is bad reception and no win tv, no DVD or stereo or info in room on surrounds or lodge itself. Sarah in reception was lovely but other staff not happy and hard to find. If it wasn't for the cudo voucher I would have been very upset paying full price and unfortuately is a great location but needs some revamping and dedicated staff to lift it. With so much competition in the area I would not stay there again!

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank Frequentoztravellers
Perth
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I purchased a Cudo voucher and was looking forward to spending my birthday weekend at Karriview Lodge. Up to the seeing of our room I was happy with the staff and the professional attitude they had. But I have to agree with a few of the other comments made previously.

We were shown to our room (Governor’s Wing) - when asking where the spa was I was informed in the bathroom - little did we realise it was the size of a standard bath with four jets in it - not really a relaxing getaway for two. You would also need to be very short to enjoy the shower - I'm not a tall person by any means I had to squat to wash my hair. Also a word of warning if you receive this room - the step into the bath is very very slippery! Ialso found the towels are not refreshed every day - our floor towel (which was dripping wet as there is no shower screen/curtain) was rerolled and put on the step into the bath - I was a little surprised when I went to put it on the floor the next morning to find it still dripping wet!

Karriview is also one of the noisiest rooms I have ever stayed in - the room located above us provided us with a variety (and definitely not limited to!!) of noises from footsteps through to the running water whenever shower or toilet was used. The staircase located outside of our room also provided a fair bit of noise. I have to say little sleep was to be had over the planned relaxing weekend and I looked forward to returning home to get a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was adequate - service not that great - we were offered the menu for a cooked breakfast with the promise they would come and take our order - in the end I went in search of a staff member to take our order and then the staff were confused as to whether our order had been taken or not. The second morning we opted to not order and stick with the continental provided with the room.

The setting and location of this lodge are the biggest items going for it from my opinion of my stay. The view from the rooms is beautiful and the walking trails lovely. Located in close proximity to the attractions of wineries and Margaret River township was the saving grace for this property. I would be in two minds to recommend this lodge to my friends and if I hadn't of received the rate through the Cudo voucher I would have been even more disappointment to have paid full rate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Hefty7au
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I purchased a Cudo Voucher well and truely pleased with our accommodation. We were in the Olives Retreat (Unit 1) very welcoming with beautifully kept room, large spa, lovely balcony over looking nature. One small and only just mentionable gripe was the older style television. This aside the large window and sliding door onto the balcony well and truely made up for this, with the perfect view through the forrest.. Staff were very friendly and helpful and the evening meal we had in the restaurant was very enjoyable. Beautiful weekend so pleased we found Karriview Lodge and thankyou Cudo.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bluebay12
Reviewed August 10, 2011

My partner and I stayed at Karriview Lodge and we were met by very friendly staff who showed us around the beautiful lodge and facilities and to our beautiful room, complete with a huge spa bath!! The staff were very informative, offering tips and advice on places to go and said if we wanted to have dinner at their on site restaurant, all we had to do was ask! We had dinner there and it was superb - woodfired pizza and very generous piece of delicious homemade apple pie...and some great wine too! They even had golfing facilities at the lodge. We had a beautiful balcony area outside our room with a lovely view over the surrounding forest -perfect to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and look at the stars. I would recommend staying at Karriview - it's perfect for a getway as a couple or with family and friends. The staff make your stay warm and welcoming and the breakfast is great - a full contintental breakfast, with plenty to choose from and they will even make cooked breakfast for you!! Thje surroundings are perfect - great for functions and weddings. I also saw there were two lovely labradors, Hugo and Ne - making they stay even more perfect! I will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We bought a 2 nights voucher on Cudo and, following a very stressful few months at work, we were looking forward to a pampering , relaxing weekend in what looked like a very warm and welcoming place.
We were given the Harry Padman Room 2, which did not look at all warm and welcoming... it was awkward and it could only be accessed by going outside on the terrace and walking to it (through the rain), not from inside the lodge.
The restaurant was closed for the weekend, which we had not been advised of in advance and was very disappointing, because we were hoping to just stay in that evening. The promised anti-pasto platter was nothing special either... 2 slices of mortadella, a few olives and some pickles.
Since our room was not inviting to a book in hand relaxing afternoon, we decided to go for a drive, in spite of the rain. We visited a couple of nice wineries, had an amazing late lunch at Xanadu and had a walk around Margaret River. We bought some wonderful food from The Larder (across the road from the info centre) and headed back.
There was no table/cuttlery in the room, so we decided to sit down on a couch in the nice common area, with a glass of wine, food and watch a movie. We had access to the restaurant so we could help ourselves to plates, glasses etc. and it ended up being an enjoyable evening after all. The owner actually joined us for a glass of wine and a chat and she was lovely. It's a shame everything else just did not meet our expectations...
In the morning, someone knocked and then opened our door to put the breakfast basket in... which we were not happy with as we were still sleeping. Breakfast consisted of 2 croissants, butter, jam, yoghurt and juice. It was a nice, sunny morning so instead of eating in the room we took our tray to the restaurant and sat at a window table, enjoying the view and the fireplace. There was a pot of fresh coffee and a variety of teas that we could help ourselves to.
To avoid being woken up early again, we left a note on the outside of our door, asking them to leave our basket in the restaurant for the following morning... but it wasn't there and we had to ask for it.
On the second day we went to Augusta and had lunch at the local pub, recommended to us by Zoe, the owner of Karriview. Food was good and the views to die for.... we were lucky to spot dolphins and whales!!
All in all, the grounds of this place are beautiful, the common areas and restaurant charming, Zoe is nice.... but the rooms were very disappointing and so were breakfast and the closed restaurant. I cannot comment on the rooms outside the main lodge.... but if I had to pay the full price to stay there... I wouldn't. We would not go back. Such a shame!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ALMRT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cowaramup
Grand Mercure Basildene Manor
#2 of 10 in Margaret River
Margaret River Bed & Breakfast
Margaret River Bed & Breakfast
#3 of 20 in Margaret River

Been to Karriview Lodge? Share your experiences!