“Excellent Food and Personal Service”
Review of Vasse Felix

Vasse Felix
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Cowaramup
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Nestled beside the picturesque Wilyabrup Brook, the Vasse Felix Cellar Door, Restaurant and Art Gallery take in sweeping views of the pristine landscape and Margaret River's oldest vines. A shared passion for precision extends throughout Vasse Felix in the striking architecture, manicured grounds and astute use of space. Everyone is welcome to indulge their senses with fine wine and fine food at Vasse Felix, or visit the original underground cellar from where Margaret River winemaking began. Restaurant open 12 - 4pm daily. Reservations highly recommended. Thank you for posting feedback about your visit. We value the opportunity to consistently refine our Restaurant and Cellar Door experience.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I think it's one of the oldest and most established vineyards in Margaret River who also set the standard for all the vineyard dining that followed suit. The menu is constantly changing to reflect the best rpoduce of the season. The chef employs some wonderful fusion techniques to produce some really amazing tastes and has drilled his team very well. I understand that he was away on holiday my last visit and the food was EVEN BETTER!!! (hahaha)
Ambience is stunning but make sure to ask for a table on the Verandah

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We didnt have time for lunch so we came for morning coffee. The grounds are beautiful, the sculpture adds to the fun and while we were there in April the gallery had a very moving exhibition focusing on the fires in 2011. Coffee and cakes gave us a chance to look at the restaurant - there is a beautiful architectural hanging fireplace that must make this place wonderful in winter. We sat on the outdoor terrace and admired the view. The wine tasting was well done, and now that we've drunk some of the bottles I wish we had bought more! We know its expensive but next time we have to go for lunch. Hope that's soon .....

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Most times we've visited the region we've eaten lunch at Vasse Felix. The food has always been good, and the view from the restaurant over the vineyards is great. We visited a few days ago and the food was very good again - creative combinations that really worked. Unfortunately, this time some aspects of the service really grated with me.

When we arrived at about 1.30pm the place was less than half full. We were told 'I'll see where I can seat you' and we were taken to a table - no question of 'where would you like to sit?' Then the menu simply stated the ingredients for each dish, nothing about how they were cooked or put together (eg 'marron, radish, watermelon, black bean') Yes, I could have asked - but I would have had to ask about all of them and why should I have to? Surely it's not hard to describe the dish itself so I have a better idea of what I want to choose?

Pretentious? Yes. I won't go back, even for the excellent food, I found it too annoying.

The 'average' rating is a compromise between an 'excellent' for the food, a 'very good' for the young woman who served us and a 'poor' for the issues I've mentioned.

1  Thank setenaj
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stopped here for lunch expecting an average experience but it was about 2 pm and we were hungry. Pleasant environment in the upper floor of the tasting room and Art Gallery with views over the vineyard and of the outdoor sculptures. We were greeted as soon as we arrived and shown to a good table near the outside veranda, with great views. The menu is small, but a good choice of starters, mains and sides. And of course, wines from the vineyard were a great accompaniment. The food was absolutely excellent, amongst the best we have had in WA. Then downstairs after the meal to taste a few of the other wines from the Winery, and to look through the Art Gallery which had a most moving exhibition of the recent fire catastrophe in the Margaret River area. Go here for the food, or the Art or the wine, or all of them!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We really enjoyed the wine tasting - very friendly service. Unfortunately the restaurant was full so we did not get to taste the food but the setting is beautiful and we loved the wonderfully groomed and open grounds