“Fabulous !”

Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Cowaramup
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled beside the picturesque Wilyabrup Brook, the Vasse Felix Cellar Door, Restaurant and Art Gallery take in sweeping views of the pristine landscape and Margaret River's oldest vines. A shared passion for precision extends throughout Vasse Felix in the striking architecture, manicured grounds and astute use of space. Everyone is welcome to indulge their senses with fine wine and fine food at Vasse Felix, or visit the original underground cellar from where Margaret River winemaking began. Restaurant open 12 - 4pm daily. Reservations highly recommended. Thank you for posting feedback about your visit. We value the opportunity to consistently refine our Restaurant and Cellar Door experience.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had lunch here over the busy Xmas period and were not disappointed with the food and friendly service. Thank you Vasse Felix once again for a fabulous meal and the plate decorated for my son Joe who was celebrating his birthday. The week before we had eaten at Leeuwin paid the same but your meal was one hundred percent better !

Reviewed January 30, 2013

It was some time since I had dined at Vasse Felix, and after having made the booking I decided to check ratings on Trip Advisor. I was troubled by what I read - reviews were either raving or scathing, which in my experience is rare. Reviews tend to have a trend, not a dichotomy.

So I will add to the dichotomy. I was impressed by our visit there. We were a group of 7, celebrating my wife's birthday. beyond what I have said in the rating scales below: the food was lovely, creative and tasty - everyone enjoyed it, with special ravings for the sushi; the wine was of an expected standard, at reasonable prices; the ambiance good; coffee nice, and, lastly; the service all round, but particularly from the young woman who looked after us, was excellent.

So, this will not resolve the debate/division on Trip Advisor ... but I would happily visit again.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

If in Margaret River then you should head to Vasse Felix for lunch - the food is excellent, the setting is delightful, and the wine is fabulous.

Great Australian food, in a great setting. Try and get a table outside on the deck and soak in the view of the vineyards while eating.

1  Thank peejay_london
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We hadn't dined there for years. I must say reading some of the other reviews, I do agree with a lot of their points. Initially we stopped for a wine tasting downstairs. There were 6 persons doing this but we stood there for at least 10mins without anyone offering a tasting or even acknowledging our presence. One lady looked at me and then looked away again without even saying "someone will be with you shortly". Even supposing they each had their own "sides" of the recatangle to serve, the service was appalling until one lovely lady came to our assistance.

I have mobility issues and found even the walk from the carpark miles away (or so it seemed) then you had to negotiate a huge flight of stairs. There was nowhere I saw that stated they didnt have facilities for Disabled. Even the Disabled bays for the cars were miles away. Anyway, I struggled up the stairs and we were seated quited promptly.

Now, the meal!! The waitstaff were very friendly and helpful explaining the dishes on the Menu - only when asked though!! No offer of any Daily "Specials". The Menu was extremely hard to interpret and I do understand most of the 'cheffy speak" in describing dishes - not these one!! My husband had a "pig head" with various other stuff I hadnt heard of. It turned out to be a very nice pork terrine but the description had put me off or else I wouldve ordered it too. I had a marron with pear and whitlof (I think). The 1 very small marron, was tasteless, in fact the whole dish was pretty tastless.

OK, then on to Mains. I didnt fancy a lot of what was on the menu, or more to the point, what the accompaniments were. I was considering the venison but I dont like goats cheese so I stuck to the good old faithfull Barramundi! The fish itself was pleasant enough but the plate was far too "busy" with dollops of this that and the other (probably what else was listed on the plate that we had no idea what it was).

The deserts - again, I had no idea what they were about as there was no description whatsoever. One dish listed as Coconut, Pineapple and 2 other things with no description as to WHAT the coconut something was. On asking the watress, it appeared to be a sorbet. Right, OK. So, the next thing was chocolate and something something. Again I asked the question. This time it appeared to be a choc tart. WHY cant they put this in? Usually you get too much "fluff" describing it but this time you needed a crystal ball to find out. We opted for the rice pudd which was actually the best dish on the menu. It was bursting with flavour and had some toffee like brulee topping with a passionfruit icecream. Absolutely delicious. Can I have more please?????

As others have pointed out, the food itself was quite good and very imaginative - perhaps too much so?? The portions very small. The "complimentary" bread was 2 small rounds of French stick with a small dip bowl of EVOO. This place really needs to describe their food more than they have done. A lot of guests would prefer not to appear stupid by asking the staff to explain the dishes and it was very hard to find this out by simply reading the menu.

Will we go back? Probably not. There are so many fantastic places to eat in this area. Its not worth wasting the money if you werent enamoured the first time.

1  Thank franb51
Reviewed January 10, 2013

with beautiful grounds, delicious food and impressive wines, especially at the upper end. Virginia Wilcox (if I have her name right, the wine-maker) is a genius. And what the kitchen produces is memorable. We love it there and return again and again. (Actually, I've just booked 10 for Sunday lunch!)

1  Thank JanResnick