All reviews thai garden good size thai food nice swimming pool reasonable price nice hotel stayed for nights khao soy home away from home comfortable beds air con breakfast included balcony town lanna pillows basics
Selected filters
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Note that this hotel is miles out of town. Also, I did not stay here.

I'm still not exactly sure what happened. I had emailed a reservation for a standard room at 800b for two nights (I had not noticed, but it was for a twin room). They showed me a twin room - I was travelling alone so I asked if they had a double room. They showed me a double room that looked EXACTLY the same as the twin room. and told me that I could only have it for one night. I said that was OK, and then they asked me for 1,300b - almost twice the price. They had a copy of my reservation email and were waving it at me.

It was all a bit weird if you ask me. However, for 800b I think the rooms were acceptable. There is renovation work being carried out on the ground floor (June 2012), so it should look shiny new.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Julieabcdefg
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Phrae is a little off the tourist trail so its hotel offerings are fewer and less tourist-savvy than equivalents in places like Chiang Mai - but this place was well run and had some charming quirks.

We had a deluxe room on the top floor which was very large, had a recently renovated bathroom, and a decent sized balcony.

The staff did not have much English but were very helpful and gracious. The breakfast was perfectly fine and we ordered some food from the casual restaurant which was very tasty and cheap.

Only downside was some noisy bars across the road.

This place was recommended to us by a local as the best hotel option in Phrae and overall we were very satisfied.

Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
4  Thank CDM001
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We recently spent a week at the Phoom Thai Hotel in Phrae and had a great experience. In recent years, we have stayed at many hotels in town and we have found that the Phoom Thai has the best combination of amenities and friendliest staff at an economical price. The breakfast was great because they cater to both Thai and foreign travelers. The rooms were clean and comfortable with very good air conditioning. The owners and their friendly staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. We even had them serve a meal for a large group one evening and it was delicious. Great experience and great people at the Phoom Thai Garden Hotel!

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank bluffcitydawg
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I drove into Phrae in a hire car just before Songkran; not being able to read or speak Thai in this town was an interesting experience. Even though I had enough maps to run an orienteering course, interpreting them was not that simple; and asking several Thais 'where am I now?' resulted in as many different answers as opinions. Do in-car GPS units work in Thailand? If so, they would be a worthwhile addition to the non-thai speaking Farang drive tourist.

Anyhow, after about 3 laps of the main town area, I worked out where the Phoom Thai was (just off the the main road out of town to Long). Ringing beforehand was no good, no speak English, so I rolled up anyway and was able to get a room. Base rooms had 2 single beds, so I paid 1200B for the next class up, which had a Queen bed in a comfortable room.

All room facilites were good and clean, except for if you are over 170cm tall, watch out for the low headroom in the en-suite entry space, I wore a couple of head bruises for a couple of days afterwards. Bed was Thai-style firm but comfortable. Breakfast was an adequate thai-western hybrid variety. Wifi connection didn't work for me, but there was internet access near the lobby.

The hotel setting and style is of solid block, render and paving; there is an attactive garden setting in the courtyard.

Just across the road there are a couple of restaurants; one huge one with Thais cooking up all sorts of food on hot stone plates, and an adjacent smaller one that had an English language menu; I had an excellent meal at the latter, and even the Tom Kar Gai was served in a steamboat which was lit at the table; nice touch!

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank Hawkus61
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Small hotel, rooms ak if a little old, nice big balcony. Bathroom OK. Garnens OK. Very helpful owner and all the staff excellent. We did the city tour recomended by the hotel which cosisted of visiting a couple of Wats and a driver who could not speak English. I thought the breakfast was disappointing with stone cold eggs. We also had a meal there and that was poor value.

Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank johnpattaya
hotelphoomthai, Manager at Phoom Thai Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

'Sawasdee ka'

First of all, we would like to say thank you for your comments. Also, we are so sorry about your inconvenience during stay in the hotel. As our customers mainly Thais, our breakfast contains a lot Thai food. We are recently improving our daily breakfast to serve our foreigner customers which includes fresh cooked egg, ham, bacon, cereal, yogurt etc. Moreover, we do employ more staffs who are English speaking in order to service our guests. Thanks again for your kindly visiting and we look forward to welcome you and your guests again.

Kind Regards,