“A real find”

Ranked #1 of 4 Threlkeld B&B and Inns
West Midlnds
“A real find”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We loved the Inn , the food was excellent, the staff could not do enough for us even though the owners were on holiday, Saturday night was very busy and crowded. Our rooom was very clean and the bed very comfortable , the area is beautiful , with plenty to see and do, I think the owners are very lucky to have such a lovely inn, a wonderful team working for them, they should be very proud, we shall come back again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zimali

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2010

We booked two nights in the guest house and were not disappointed. We have drove past Threlkeld on many occassions on the way to Keswick and as we were going to have a saunter up Blencathra chose this specifically for the location - great walks on the doorstep and no need for the car.

The room was light and airy, immaculate and very well presented. The bed was large and comfortable and there was a flat screen TV - ideal to catch up on the lastest football scores! The bathroom (no bath - but a great shower) was on the small size but again was clean and tastefully decorated. There was also tea and coffee making facilities and some biscuits. Also some chocolate mints were left on the bed for our first night!

The guest house is less than a minute from the pub and the pub itself is a good size with a great choice behind the bar and on draft. There are two food menus to choose from - we chose from both on the two nights and all of our meals - from scallops to start to stuffed chicken were lovely. The specials menu is great value - we had cheesburger and chips and scampi and chips from this menu for £7.95 each and the portions were massive - no need for dessert!

We will certainly be going back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2010

I have written this after reading the previous review which truly dismayed me!

The Horse and Farrier is an exceptional Inn run by superb hosts Sue and Ian and their excellent team of staff, nothing is ever ttoo much trouble for them. Whether you are stopping for a drink, lunch, dinner or staying a while you cannot fault anything.

.We had previously, on many trips to Keswick, always enjoyed their over generous prawn open sandwiches served with a huge salad and lovely dressing for lunch.

We decided we should stay there just before Christmas and we visited with our friends, who had not previously been. We all arrived for lunch my husband and I could not decide between the open prawn or smoked salmon sandwich, so Sue solved the problem aand combined the two - brilliant! Our friends made a quicker choice with their
chicken sandwiches, all of which arrived quickly with baskets of lovely hot chipped potatoes. After a superb lunch we all set off on the short drive into Keswick for a spot of Christmas shopping around the lovely market town.

When we returned to the Inn late afternoon we stopped in the bar snug area for a relaxing drink,our friend tried a glass of their warming seasonal mulled wine,
whilst my husband preferred a glass of their local ale and we girls were served a chilled white wine in large crystal glasses.

We had booked dinner in the restaurant for the evening where everything was really festive and quality crackers and table decorations added to the setting. We all studied the excellent menu choices before deciding on, our friends hot oak fillet of smoked scottish salmon, pate for me, and my husband their substantial homemade soup. Our friends were amazed at the large portions of their starter whilst my duck liver and brandy pate was delicious. Our main courses arrived quickly, our friends had chosen the Horse and Farriers speciality dish of slowly braised lamb shoulder in their local ale, I, being in festive mood went for Roast Turkey with all the trimmings, whilst my husband enjoyed succulent grilled gammon. After whiich we all retired to the cosy welcoming bar for a couple of drinks and a friendly chat.

After a contented evening and comfortable nights sleep in their cosy room we met for a lovely hot cumbrian breakfast served swiftly, my husband commented on how nice it was to be given a hot pot of coffee rather than just a cup of coffee.

We had an extremely lovely weekend. Sue and Ian are professional and welcoming.their staff are happy and friendly all of whom work hard to ensure your stay is enjoyable and that you will return, which we all certainly will, again and again and again.
Thank you Sue it was a pleasure to stay at your wonderful Inn - thank you. D and P and friends.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed May 24, 2010

I booked a table for 8 people 2 weeks beforehand for a Saturday afternoon. The lunch was an opportunity for my and my fiance's family to meet two weeks before our wedding. So it felt like a pretty important occasion! Unfortunately the restaurant and bar were ridiculously under staffed. Our table was never set and we had to take our orders to the bar to try and get served. When the food came, it was okay, but nothing special. My dish (bangers and mash) had clearly been re-heated/heated up in the microwave.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Ruislip Middlesex
Reviewed May 18, 2010

If you are looking for superb food, a great selection of real ales, friendly welcoming staff and great accommodation in the north of the Lake District then look no further.
I like to think that I give honest and fair reviews because I too use Trip Advisor to help me select places to stay and I don't want to read biased or over picky reviews.
This is an Inn situated in a gorgeous location with stunning views all around. Access to Keswick is a simple 10 minutes car drive away, or there's a good bus service, this makes it easy to get into some of the key walking areas, or to the town if that suits you.
Back to the Inn, even if you are not planning on staying here then visit for the food and beer alone.
4 Jennings real ales, plus a couple of guest beers and a fine array of wines and other beers are on offer. You truly will be stumped for choice.
However, its the food that makes any visit worthwhile. A very extensive menu whether you select from the bar or main menu. All beautfully cooked and presented. Reasonably priced and there are no stingy portons here either, you get real value for money.
The Inn has a great atmosphere and the staff work hard to make you feel welcome and valued.
As for the accommodation, that too is very good. The rooms are spotlessly clean, well appointed and comfortable.
When booking however, be clear on knowing where you will be staying. There are rooms in the Inn itself, there is a guest house which is next to the Inn, or there are rooms in the Salutation pub which is about 20 yards along the road. We thought we would be staying in the Inn but upon arrival were told that we were in the Salutation. Somewhat dissapointed at the time, but the rooms here were as described above. It did mean that we had to walk the 20 yards to the Inn each morning and evening for our food, but that was not a hardship!
We didn't eat or drink in the Salutation but it looked very clean and well run, but without the charm that the Inn itself has.
All in all a very, very pleasant experience and we will definietyl be coming back here again on our next trip to the Lakes

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank W00dee
Tring
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Okay - our five nights at the Horse and Farrier didn't quite work out as expected! I was with my wife and daughter (coming up for finals at university) and the plan was that we'd walk together in the mornings, and then our daughter would work in the afternoons, and I'd sneak out to do as much running as possible. In the end, my daughter spent three 12 hour days working on her laptop in the pub (the free WiFi was a godsend!), and I crocked my back so much that I could hardly walk let along run. I mention this because this was a recipe for a fairly miserable few days - particularly when we had good weather.

But we had a lovely time. The staff were excellent - always friendly and attentive, and not minding at all about our daughter taking over a corner table all day. And the food was wonderful - we ate in the bar or restaurant every lunch and evening, and even by the end of our stay there were at least half a dozen things on the menu I'd have liked to try - and every meal I had I'd have been more than happy to have again.

The Horse and Farrier seems to have managed to combine the best of many worlds - local, walkers pub and place for a relaxing stay. A Lakeland Inn at its best. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Southport
Reviewed April 2, 2010

Just had a really lovely three night stay at the Horse and Farrier. The Inn is a mix between a proper old fashioned pub but also serves the most wonderful food. The staff are delightful and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are spotlessly clean, when we arrived our room was not quite ready the bed was in the centre of the room to facilitate a good vacuming, not a problem we just threw our bags in and went downstairs and enjoyed a beautifully prepared lunch. We were combining our visit with a hot air balloon ride and needed to be at the launch site for 6am the next morning therefore missing breakfast which is served around 7.30am until 9.30am. We arrived back to the Inn around 11am starving ,the staff asked if we would like our breakfast served and we opted for the full english - great just what we needed, this was served without a problem for the time of day. Will be going back for sure with family and friends.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Threlkeld
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#9 of 12 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Horse & Farrier Inn? Share your experiences!