“Not disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 4 Threlkeld B&B and Inns
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Not disappointed”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Stopped here, out with dog, good food, helpful friendly staff and dog friendly. The bar area was nicely decorated, cosy and comfortable. No complaints, would go back, either lunch time or evening meal and would recommend to others. Worth a visit.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

well what can i say perfect hosts lovely rooms brill staff nice food nice atmosphere clean perfect breakfast we will return stayed two nights in feb 2014 well done to jouls and all the staff very welcoming

Room Tip: we had room 6
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jooles H, Owner at Horse & Farrier Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Come back we are missing you already.....
Thank you for coming to stay with us @ The Farrier. One of these mornings I will be walking into your place for a full English.
Keep up the good work with quitting the bad habit!
Take care the pair of you and don't work too hard.
Regards
Accrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2014

We have stayed at the horse and farrier/ salutation quite a few times over the years, it's the most friendliest and welcoming dog friendly place we have come across.......Thornton agrees!!!!!
We have just returned after 3 night break at the Sally. We were made to fell welcome as soon as we walked through the door, nothing was to much trouble for any of the team and they couldn't do enough for us, the food was fantastic, well presented and original. Our room in the Sally was excellent, clean, warm and really comfortable.
Overall a fantastic place to stay
Thanks for a great stay guys...
Pete Ian and Thornton !!!!

Room Tip: If there's no rooms at the H&F and you don't have a dog, try the Sally, you really would...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Pete, Ian & the very naughty Thornton.....Thank you for the great review - I've come over all funny!
We loved having the three of you - yes even you Thornton. I have to start training soon for my trip to the Sahara desert on a walking holiday, I think Thornton should come with me to walk of his energy.
Hope to see you soon guys and thank you again for the lovely comments.
JoolesX
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

i have stayed here now three times, twice at the main Horse and Farrier and once at the Salutation Inn ("Sally") a bit down the road under the same management.

It is in a beautiful setting right at the foot of Blencathra with a wonderful view up to Hall's Fell ridge, which can be very conveniently climbed from the inn as a base. As well as pretty ready access by car to most of the Northern Lakes. The rooms are quite small, as you would expect at the low prices, but clean and well maintained and excellent value. The bar is a cosy place with a real fire and the food is dependably pretty good. The best thing about the H & F is the management and the staff who are friendly and welcoming and, if you have any problems during your stay (I speak from experience), kind and helpful some considerable way above and beyond what duty would strictly call for.

I don't know of any place, in this rough price band, I'd rather stay in the Lake District (and I have stayed in a good few.)

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Mr Lenman
Hope you got sorted out with the problem.
Many thanks for taking the time out to write your review. We enjoyed having you to stay here with us. Hopefully I will get to see you again in 2014.
Kind regards
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I and my friends (28 of us) frequented the Horse and Farrier again this year on our annual Winter Walk. We also dined on Sunday night. We were made very welcome by the friendly and attentive staff. The new landlady even lent us her guitar! The food was splendid! We have always enjoyed this pub but feel that it is now at its best ever!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jooles H, Owner at Horse & Farrier Inn, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hi Nigel....Thank you, all of you for supporting The Horse & Farrier whilst you were staying @ The Blencathra centre for your annual get together. Next year I don't want you to be so shy, I want The 'Cat Stevens' in you to sing your heart out...It was a great evening myself and the staff here had great fun. Look forward to seeing you next January.
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this gorgeous inn for the night, lovely friendly people, the staff are really great at looking after you, nothing is a bother to them, very attentive. Lovely clean room. Lovely views. The food they serve in the inn is absolutley gorgeous, we could not fault our stay at this lovely inn. We will be sure to stay again, can't wait for our next trip.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Lesley
Thank you for taking time out to write such a lovely review for us.
We take great pride in the service we offer here @ The Horse & Farrier but it always makes it so worthwhile when our visitors respond after being here. I am so lucky that I have such a great team of people working with me -they include a vast number of staff who work very hard in our kitchens & housekeeping who are often not seen but just work quietly in the background making sure that The Farrier & The Sally run smoothly and efficiently.
Thank you again Lesley and we look forward to seeing you back here soon.
Basingstoke, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in 2009 in the sister pub 'The Saultation Inn' We returned to the area last weekend with my mother and requested 2 double rooms. We had ordered them last year and not only did we get them at last years rate, we also got to experience 'The apartment' a new addition to their rooms which consisted of 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, lounge and bathroom. Breakfast was brilliant giving the option of my favourite (Smoke Kippers) and my wife and mother had a hugecooked breakfast.

My only criticism is that it is a 5 minute walk from the partment to the Horse & Farrier for breakfast.

All staff were friendly and the views in the area are amazing as you are at the foot of blencartha. If you are going to the area I strongly suggest you consider staying here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Threlkeld
The Keswick Country House Hotel
#8 of 12 in Keswick
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#5 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to Horse & Farrier Inn? Share your experiences!