As a family we have stayed in the village of Threlkeld for many years. We returned in June for what we hoped would be another wonderful stay and were so disappointed. The pub itself is still lovely with a nice ambiance in a beautiful setting. The standard of food however has dropped dramatically and the service from a blonde haired lady behind the bar was certainly not with a smile. The worst service was from what we assume was the owner, an incredibly arrogant and rude gentleman who was also rude to the staff on duty. The background music was anything but background and if you dont like Jazz then oh dear me. Both pubs in the village are owned by the same people. We were so disappointed with the Horse and Farrier that we decided to eat the following night at the Salutation. This was a big mistake. The menu was like something you would find in an Italian restaurant and so terribly expensive. For a childs ice cream we paid £4.50!!! Absolutely appalling that a pub would even consider to charge this. We chatted to some locals at the bar who also said that both pubs were extremely over priced and that standards had dropped. They said that they were also much quieter and that not many of the locals actually frequented them anymore. This is never a good sign. On a positive note, the young man behind the bar was extremely friendly and we felt very sorry for him listening to the number of complaints he was having to deal with. Its a shame, these are two delightful pubs and it seems they are just going downhill.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1688 this traditional Lakeland Inn with its slate flagged floors, beamed ceilings and open fire retains all the character you would expect from this popular village pub. Situated at the foot of Blencathra in the beautiful village of Threlkeld with views towards Skiddaw & Helvellyn this really is the place relax and enjoy the beauty of the Northern Lake district. The Horse & Farrier is committed to serving food and drink of excellent quality amidst informal surroundings. We have an excellent reputation in the Lake district for serving home cooked Fayre either in our intimate restaurant or cosy bar. Our menus are interesting and varied with vegetarians well catered for. We have two pubs in the village which cater for every occasion,two cottages and 14 well appointed bedrooms. Jooles & the team look forward to welcoming you to The Horse & Farrier & The Salutation Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Horse & Farrier Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Horse And Farrier Inn
- Horse & Farrier Hotel Threlkeld
- Horse & Farrier Inn Threlkeld, England - Cumbria