All reviews the pub basic accommodation homemade steak burger sunday lunch walking weekend sinks blencathra facilities climbers block bedding pint walkers
Selected filters
Reviewed August 28, 2019

The rooms are very small with no hooks or storage facilities for clothing or boots. The kitchen on the first block is dirty; the fridge (No freezer) the benches, the utensils, everything had to be re cleaned before being used. It's ok for climbers, walkers etc, better than tent, but just not clean enough.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2019

Clean basic 4 bunk rooms at base of Blencathra. Bathrooms and kitchens were clean and big enough for the amount of people. Decent pub next door with OK food. Good base for walking/biking northern lakes.

Reviewed August 6, 2019

We stayed in the cottages opposite this pub, it was a God send at times
Fairly busy during peak food times (5pm _ 8pm) bit it was May half term so I would recommend booking a few nights in advance during the school holidays, unless you want to eat late. Good selection of ales, and the food was delicious. The fire was lit, typical British weather, but it added to the country charm. Pint in hand, looking out to the mountains. Prefect place to eat, drink and dry your hiking boots out.

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2019

My wife treat me to a birthday weekend in the lakes and the plan was to spend the eve of my birthday in this pub. Somewhere we ate 2 years ago and really enjoyed. It was supposed to be a relaxing end to a long day.
When we arrived we were sat in a small corner over looking a big family so requested to sit outside until a better table came up.
We were told we had 5 minutes to order at 8.35pm before the kitchen closed at 9pm. It didn't take long to be given a small table inside and we could order. My wife ordered the Penang Curry for £12.50 but after literally 30-40 seconds of her decision she went to the bar and asked it was home made, then they said no she asked to swap the order. The bar staff refused. We made it clear the order had been put in less then 1 minute ago and they finally went into the kitchen and requested a swap. Unfortunately they said no as well as it was already in the microwave and the chefs were desperate to get home... Upon this we both decided to say it doesn't matter and we would go else where.

The guy said to my wife....i'll get your cake then and went into the back and dumped a surprise birthday cake on the table in front of me and walked off. I was more upset for her then myself as she had gone to so much effort all day to make it the best.
This was the same guy who wouldn't serve us the night before at 10.05pm as he had already started cashing up. Despite the opening hours saying that it closes at 11pm and the facebook page saying it's 'Always Open'.

This review is no reflection on the surrounding guesthouses.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhillipsAaron
Reviewed May 12, 2019 via mobile

Stayed here for a weekend for a mountain biking weekend. The rooms were very clean, the kitchen had sufficient facilities, the bathrooms were fine. Next to the pub which served food until 9pm. Would stay again

Date of stay: May 2019