“Wax Festival.”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Sakon Nakhon
Udon Thani, Thailand
“Wax Festival.”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

We were suprised to find such a good room at a good price when the biggest festival of the year was on in Sakon Nakhon. Good clean room and all facilities were of a good standard. Can`t believe the receptionist remembered me after I had inquired there about three months before and she spoke good English.

Hotel is centrally located and has a good carpark which had easy access to the hotel. Breakfast was good but mainly Asian which was no problem for either of us. When we stay in Sakon Nakhon we will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paulandnid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Thai first
Sakon Nakhon, Thailand
Reviewed June 8, 2011

Situated right in town. Night Market and city shopping is a comfortable walking distance. Large car park. ALL the staff are very polite and courteous and for a long timer visitor to be called by your first name is nice. The hotel is very clean and all facilities excellent. English speaking reception. The rooms are spacious, homely, peaceful and quiet. Never ever have I had to make a complaint in any respect. This hotel gets a very big thumbs up from me.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank bunjijohn
Nonthaburi, Thailand
Reviewed November 8, 2010

The Majestic has a large parking area, which we found useful. The room we had was a deluxe room because the standard rooms were fully occupied by Chinese package tourists. The room was very large and was good value for the price we paid.

Just across the street from the hotel the Night Plaza market has excellent and cheap food. My pad thai would have fed 3 people and cost just 30 baht.

The following morning, as a result of arriving in the breakfast room after the Chinese tour group had picked the buffet clean, we didn't have a very fulfilling breakfast.

The Majestic has a slight identity problem. A lot of their items are labelled "MJ" and the hotel seems to be known by both names, Majestic and MJ. Still it's good value for money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew K
Nomad
Reviewed November 21, 2009

Staff were friendly enough. Lady (manager?) very friendly at front desk and speaks good English.

Stayed three nights. 550 baht/night, INCLUDES breakfast buffet (standard asian buffet). Spent a bit of time at the bar. If you are looking for companionship, I am certain the bartender can assist ;) although I'm not really into that scene. The "disco" was open. It had a live Thai rock band, not bad. Pestered a bit by freelancers and coyotes... but to others... might not be considered pestering :)

Room was large, very well lit, fridge, TV, decent view. Only issue is, no internet, unless there was an Ethernet connection somewhere I did not see. Mozzies in room for some reason. Cyberpoint wireless in the area, but weak connection, if you want to pay for that. Other than that, if you need internet, better have wireless broadband.

Near the vege night market. 7/11 across the street. Big C shopping down the street. Not much else to do.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank FoolishFarang
Ubon, Thailand
Reviewed November 3, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at the MJ 3 times this year-June, July and October. We use it as a base to visit our daughter at Kasetsart University, Sakok Nakhon campus 15 km out of town. Our home is in Ubon.

The hotel is okay. We get a room for 800 baht/night with breakfast. Room is clean, quiet and the breakfast adequate.

Staff are not that interested in guests. Only 1 man at the desk speaks English but as I speak fluent Thai that is not a problem. Last week when we stayed they had no internet computer but they let me use their own laptop as there is a wireless network throughout the hotel. I will bring my own next time. Also in the restaurant for breakfast, the cook cooked up special thai vegetables for me without MSG. Service was great.

I think the hotel is saving on staff as there seemed to be hardly anyone around-only one waitress in the restaurant.

We find the location very convenient. We enjoy the wonderful park about 1 km down the road. Great to walk and jog around in the evening. Then there is the Green Corner restaurant only 500 m away. What a restaurant. Serves Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese and European food; has its own bakery with different breads including wholebread and the usual range of cakes; serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We won't eat anywhere else. Very clean.

I wish every town had a restaurant like Green Corner.

Sakon Nakhon is defintely not a tourist place like Mukdahan and Ubon and not international like Khon Kaen and Udorn. I am just comparing North East Thailand cities.

Therefore don't expect good service and don't expect much English. However, the people are very nice even if they don't go out their way to help you. It is the way they are.

It boils down to this. There isn't much choice in Sakon Nakhon. The MJ is the best one by far.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Grass_Seed
montreal
Reviewed July 8, 2009

I am a tourist from Canada currently staying at the M.J. The Majestic Hotel in Sakon Nakhon. I have been here for 1 week. There is a coffee-shop/restaurant near the main lobby and registration desk where you can dine and there is nightly entertainement in the form of a karaoke bar where patrons and staff can sing and share the wonders of song and music...the decor is nice, the food I have tasted is delicious and reasonably priced. When a local friend of mine asked for orange juice on the evening of July 8, 2009, it was not available. I found this very odd in a place where they serve breakfast everyday and orange juice is available in the morning. I felt like I was greeted like a bull in a china shop by the staff... This is low season and business is also slowed down by the world economic crisis so there seems to be fewer patrons than staff. Maybe this is why the personnel looks bored, tired and depressed. They hog the karaoke machine to pass the time. When I tried to ask if I could sing, nobody could answer me in English and they looked at me as if I was disturbing them. There is a piano on stage and a piano man who is very good in Thai music and song but not very familiar with farang music. I finally was able to sing despite the fact I was never invited to do so, I had to cut them off. Maybe it is because I chose to sing in English. I was playing and singing `Let it be' on the piano and a staff member turned music on the computer to cutt me off. I told her she was impolite and she ignored me and gave me the look of disgust.The staff in incompetent in English. I complained to the only person who could speak English at the front desk and the employee finally apologised. Upon my return to the bar the next evening, I was clearly shown I was not welcome, the staff took refuge in a private window-sealed room and they shut off the air conditioner in the bar hoping I would leave... One staff member shouted the `F' while I was singing, a rare paying customer who does not drink alcohol and who is very polite with everyone.... Tey should understand that if you treat customers like this, they will kill their business and eliminate their jobs in the process... Was it because I was a farang? They clearly demonstated their Thai solidarity by making me feel 2nd class...is it because of my race and different culture? This is not traditional Thai hospitality. Think I will extend my stay just to get under their skin. I want to talk to the owner please!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank lamsky48

Travelers are raving about these Sakon Nakhon hotels

New Mexico
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stay first at Sakol Grand Palace hotel for 2 nights. We moved over the MJ. This hotel was a lot better than the Grand Palace. The MJ is lot closer to the market and town. I planning to go up there for four nights. There's not too many hotels at Sakon Nakhon. The MJ is a better place to stay. They offered complimentary breakfast and staff were very helful with my wife who had cancer.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled on business