“30th Birthday treat”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawkham
Larkfield, England, United Kingdom
“30th Birthday treat”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My wife (who is four months pregnant) and I stayed here for her 30th birthday treat over the bank holiday weekend and we were very impressed. We used their Afternoon tea/Dinner/Bed and Breakfast deal which provided excellent value. The primary reason we come back to the hotel (besides the great service) is the food - it has the feeling that the chef is invested in what he/she is doing and gives painstaking attention to each part of your meal. The cream tea was amazing, with four freshly baked fruit scones, cream, jam and six tiny but exquisite cakes as well as all the tea you could drink. After a trip to the well stocked gym and a dip in the pool to regain our appetite, we went to the restaurant for dinner and were once again impressed by the detail and quality of the food, from the canapes before the starter, to the amazing freshly baked cheese and onion bread rolls, to the fudge and truffles with our coffee, it was a treat for the senses.

If I was pressed, there are only a few things I would fault, one would be the steamroom/jacuzi (we didn't actually visit it this time due to Liz being pregnant, we visited them in February on our last visit) which feels like it could do with refresh, and I felt the d'hote menu starters needed more variety.

We had some fudge and a card left in our room congratulating Liz on her birthday which was a nice touch and the staff, be it in the reception or in the restaurant were exceedingly helpful, in fact I would go so far as I have not had better service or felt more welcome!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 2, 2014
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your stay at Brandshatch Place Hotel and Spa.

We are so pleased to have been able to look after you and of course your wife for her 30th birthday treat. The team will be delighted that they were able to contribute to making the special occasion it deserved to be, and thank you for your kind words regarding the service, I will be sure to share your feedback with the team.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Andrew Oxby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Horndean, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2014

We booked a 1 night spa break through spabreaks.com. When we arrived the receptionist was very friendly and had a welcome letter ready for us. When we arrived we headed to out room (number 7) which was up the stairs from reception. The room was nice and the bed was a great size. We had expected an executive suite which this wasnt (I hope) as it was small. There was a large TV with DVD player and network points. The bed was unbelievably comfortable so we had a great night sleep. The bathroom was luxury with a huge, hot shower and a double bath. We had ample towel which can always be a problem in hotels. The only issue was during the night we could here a fan sound that wasnt in our room (maybe the air con?) which kept my partner awake so he woke grumpy!

We headed to the spa for a swim. When you get there you register and they give you towels. If you are a hotel guest you need to take your robe from the room which we didnt know so I had to go back. There is a bar and cafe area with lots of teas and food options. Then through a set of doors there are two lounges. One has sloped seats to relax with drapes and music playing. Next door there is the Apricot room which is a room with sofas with tea and water available for after/before treatments. On treatment day you are collected from these rooms. Down stairs there is a gym, weights room, squash room, pool, jacuzzi, steamroom and sauna. The pool is a lovely temperature with a spongy layer so feels safe. Unfortunately there were lots of children then couples when we went so the pool was very busy. The jacuzzi area is very personal - only room for two. I couldnt use the steam/sauna as I am pregnant but my boyfriend said they were nicely laid out. Water was available in this area and the pool area.

We had our treatments on the second day. I had a luxury facial. The therapist was lovely and so friendly, she was interested in my pregnancy and made sure I was comfortable for the session. We were in a small room which was warm and had music playing. The products were Elemis which is a very boutique brand so I was happy to see it was not a generic brand. The treatment lasted a little short of the 55 mins but that was ok. My boyfriend had a full body although he felt that as they did not massage his neck/head that all his stress had moved upto this area so he left with a headache. His therapist was not as friendly as mine so I think he felt quite awkward.

We had booked a meal in the restaurant for the evening. The service was excellent. The food was really good in that way that every course is tiny but some how you get really full! our meal was the set £37pp option then we ordered 2 drinks each (2 alcoholic, two soft ) and a bottle of water (£4.50!) and it came for just under £90.

Breakfast was nice but the service was not as good as the evening. We could order hot food which was good quality and amount. The continental options were good - cereals, natural yoghurt, fruit, pastries.

We would go back again if we could get a good deal. Paying full price would have not been worth it so definitely look for deals online first.

Room Tip: Rooms with low numbers (1-12) are near the spa as are in the 40s so if you want quick access ask for...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you and your boyfriend thoroughly enjoyed your spa break with us. I will certainly pass on your kind words to the team who like me will be very proud to receive these comments regarding the service.

On our website www.handpickedhotels.co.uk we frequently have seasonal leisure break offers and packages available, so please do take the time to find that next 'great deal'.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best wishes
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 2 nights.

I expected amazing things especially from the star rating and some of the reviews. There are good points and bad..

I will start with the good. The room was a lovely space with a huge bed was a bit annoyed when i noticed we had a twin room with the beds pushed together to make a double but once we layed on the bed this wasnt a problem we couldnt feel where they were joint atal. Infact it was one of the most comfortable beds!

The pool looked lovely. And was a good size. Nice temperature. And seating area around the pool which looked relaxing. Down side to the spa facilities were the changing rooms; none of them had a lock so i was balancing against the door whilst getting changed to make sure it was shut! Also the jacuzzi area is quite small. Luckily it was only my boyfriend and i in the jacuzzi but if anyone else were to join it would have been very cramped.

The breakfast was lovely. We had this included in our room. Although if it wasnt included i would not have paid £15.50 for it which was the price. Baring in mind there were no pastries on offer the second morning we stayed!

I ordered a cream tea. So we were shown to our table. Staff were nice. The scones were good but the cakes were pointless and not very nice. A very very small lemon tart, same size tiny macaroon and a pofitarole. None of which were nice. I felt really over priced for the amount you get. Would much prefered a tasty small slice of cake which i think would have worked alot better along side the scones.

The spa treatment was lovely (although i have never had any treatments before i had nothing to compare it to.) I had a body scrub and back and shoulder massage. No music. The therapy room was peiceful and the therapist was nice enough.

The spa facilities were quite a walk from our room which was a bit annoying down alot of corridors; this is the reason we are put of booking this hotel for a spa break again. Because the access to the spa wasnt the easiest. But as far as a hotel goes everything else was good. Nice staff very polite.

We had an average stay. Would stay again for the hotel side rather than spa. But not for a long time.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jade C
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with your boyfriend.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding cream tea, and I have reviewed this with the Head Chef and we will now be including a slice of cake with the cream tea for the future.

Being a Georgian Manor House, the hotel unfortunately is quite spread out and some of our bedrooms are a little distance from the spa, however we also do have bedrooms that are very close to the spa. We will review bedroom allocations for the future to ensure our spa guests get rooms allocated closer to the spa where feasible.

I was pleased to read that based on the overall positive nature of your stay, you would look to stay with us again, and we do look forward to welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Kind regards
London
Reviewed August 18, 2014

I had booked Brandshatch as a little spa stay for my mum and I, we were both looking forward to it, especially as it is such a short drive from where we live. We were checked in quite quickly by a pleasant lady at reception, it did slightly annoy me that I had booked for a twin bedroom (paid more for twin beds as I upgraded to an executive since no standard twins were available) and was told at reception that they hadn't received any confirmation of a twin being requested, therefore they had provided us with a double. They did ask whether this was ok, and being mum and daughter we didn't mind having to share a bed, however I don't understand how they didn't receive confirmation when I had booked directly with Handpicked hotels.

The lady at reception once we had checked in began to take us to our room, but I believe a man from the bar asked if he could take over as there were people approaching reception. He then took us to our room, but got himself lost in the process and took us the wrong way! Didn't bother us, was a little funny.

The room was a good size, did have some noise from Brandshatch, which we could still hear when the window was closed, however didn't hear anything when we were sleeping. The room was clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and big and the TV was also good (had a DVD player). I have read other reviews on here and yes our room was one of the ones that didn't have air-con, bit of a shame, but cant complain much if the hotel are upgrading that.

Being a little hungry by 3pm, we went to the bar/lounge for a bite to eat. We didn't know how the hotel preferred you to order, so with a menu in hand I approached the bar. The man at the bar (the same man who had got us lost on route to the room) told me to take a seat and that he would be over shortly, he seemed to be keeping the pretentious woman happy at the bar. We waited, and we waited, and we waited. 15 minutes later I then went back up to the bar and he was nowhere to be seen. The lady at reception saw that I was a bit unsure and asked me if there was anything she could do, in which I told her that I had been waiting a while to order a drink and something to eat, she began to look but proved unsuccessful. Another 10 minutes later I noticed the bar man walking around with some sort of manager, in and out of rooms. I managed to catch his eye in the process and FINALLY began to order.
When we finally got our food, a club sandwich to share (as they are large) and chips, it was nice, bit burnt but it was good nonetheless.
When wanting to pay the bill, there was again nobody around to ask yet again, so I once again went on the walk around when somebody from the restaurant approached me, a lovely American gent who sorted us out right away.

Later on in the afternoon, we went down to the Spa for a swim. Pool was good, good temperature and I loved the spongy layer, thought that was great. Steam was average, didn't have a nice steam smell to it, to be honest it smelt a bit funny. Sauna was lovely. Meanwhile, we didn't get the opportunity to try out the very small Jacuzzi as there was a couple who had been in there for the whole 50 minutes we had spent in the spa, fooling around, massaging eachother, sitting on top of eachother. This personally made myself and my mum feel quite disgusted and therefore we didn't want to use this facility anyway.

We had dinner booked in the restaurant, whole experience was brilliant. Staff were great- young blonde girl was extremely good, attentive but not crowding over you, pleasant and welcoming. In addition the American gent from earlier also served us and once again he was great. The food was exquisite, compliments to the chef. Everything we had was fantastic.

Turn down service was good in our room, our water was also replenished which rarely occurs in a lot of hotels.

Breakfast the next morning was average , I felt sorry for the lady at breakfast, there was only her on the service, running around for roughly 8 tables. It took around 20 mins for our tea and toast to arrive, toast was cold, tea was luke warm and clearly had been stewing to the point where it wasn't nice. Continental selection was awful, nothing really on offer, 3 small croissants in the whole tray, which I was surprised at as the hotel was very quiet on our stay. Hot breakfast was ok, nothing special about it, my poached egg wasn't runny on the inside so that was a bit disappointing.

We had our spa treatments booked in for 11am before going home, we would have preferred them on the Sunday but was told there wasn't any available when I had rung weeks in advance. I had a full body massage, my mum had a luxury facial.
I wasn't happy with my massage, the therapist was lovely but the treatment itself was a let down. In the therapy room, there wasn't any spa music being played which would have covered up the sounds of the hand dryer from the changing rooms, the extractor etc. The room was freezing as the air con was on, so therefore I was cold throughout. The oil used was cold, I am used to the oil being warm-hot for a full body massage. I had asked for my massage to be of a medium pressure, but It was very light. I can remember lying there thinking 'Is it nearly over' as I was so cold.
To top it off, the fire alarm went off during our treatments. We were warned this at check out, and told we didn't have to leave the treatment, however it isn't the nicest experience when your trying to relax and then this very loud noise goes off, making you jump.
My mum also commented that her therapy room didn't have any soft music and that it was also cold. In addition, I wasn't offered any water after my treatment which your supposed to have for hydration. My mum was offered but then the therapist said that they didn't have any cups, so my mum didn't have any either.

Overall, I wasn't very impressed with the stay, I felt I paid good money for a not very good experience. I haven't a bad word to say about the restaurant and I will review that separately, but I will not be returning to Brandshatch for another stay or for another spa treatment.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to Brandshatch Place Hotel and Spa.

Please accept my apologies for any shortfalls you experienced and I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. I do appreciate the balanced approach to your review and I would be delighted to be able to speak to you about your experience further if you would allow me the time, please contact me directly.

Many thanks indeed for your time & feedback.

Kind Regards
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during a visit to friends and family. Our Executive room was small but very clean and comfortable with A/C.
The staff were without exception very courteous and friendly.
All in all very good value for money and we will certainly stay again.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank bwhitt2000
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for reviewing the hotel following your recent stay with us. I am pleased that you experienced one of our newly refurbished bedrooms with air conditioning.

The staff will be really pleased with your feedback and I will ensure that your kind comments are passed on to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Greenhithe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Having hurt my foot badly at our own wedding reception ( awkward landing after silly dance move ), we arrived at the hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning and nothing was too much trouble to accomodate us and make us comfortable. A spacious room with all we needed. Despite heading to A & E at 6.30am we still made it back for breakfast, which was much needed. An impressive choice of delicious food and excellent service. We would love to have had a walk around the pretty grounds, but wasn't able to walk on my foot. Even though we only managed to spend around 5 hours in the room, we can't fault the service and friendliness of the staff. Many many thanks from the newleyweds. :-) :-)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay M
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Firstly, I would like to convey our congratulations to you both on your recent wedding and wish you both all the happiness for the future. I do hope that your foot gets better soon.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the service and the breakfast you experienced during your stay.

On behalf of all the team we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your anniversary, and you can at last enjoy the walk round of the grounds, if not before.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We stayed here for one night. All the staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room was very comfortable the only thing it lacked was a small fridge. The weather was very warm so it was nice to find a fan in the room. The bathroom was a good size with ample toiletries of a good quality.
We used the spa which was quiet pleasant. We decided to have our evening meal in the bar. The barman set up a lovely table by the French doors which was lovely. We booked our table for 8-30 and had ordered our food earlier. Unfortunately we had literally sat down at almost 8-30 and our food arrived straight away. The food was ok but lacked presentation. We didn't complain as the staff were so nice. I wasn't too bothered about breakfast after our dinner experience but we did go for breakfast and it was fabulous. Everything cooked fresh, plenty of it and very attentive staff.
I would definitely stay here again. I found it very good value for money. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Very close to the race circuit so you do hear it, not something that bothered us. Our room was to th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lubadulls
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay with us and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found it value for money.

Thank you for your recommendation, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Andrew Oxby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawkham
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa

Been to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!