“Great return visit ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawkham
Telford
“Great return visit ”
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Great surprise to find out the new company I work for booked us here for a conference, though you always think won't live up the memory this is an exception to the rule,

Food, service and rooms where 1st class and probably better than the last time we stayed.

We where looked after really well by the staff and they made it almost like we where not working and more pleasure when we where not in the conference room.

Going to look out for any offers in Jan as really need to (still) take my wife here without the kids!

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel again following you most recent stay with us, this time on business.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and it lived up to the memory of your previous stay.

We look forward to you returning again soon with the wife, and yes do look out for the Hand Picked Hotels offers in January 2014.

Kindest regards
Andrew Oxby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2013

The Hotel is easy to reach by car but not much good by public transport. On the occasion I stayed there it was cold and draughty. Some of the staff were fine, receptionist was very helpful, but breakfast staff were inefficient and rather rude.
The food was reasonably good and the common areas were acceptable. Sadly, this hotel just isn't up to the price range it has put itself into. It needs a rethink and a make over and it needs to find a unique identity for itself.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your views and comments on Trip Advisor following your stay with us.

I was sorry to read that you thought the hotel was draughty and in need of a make over, we have just started to refurbish and improve a number of our bedrooms as part of our ongoing improvement plan which includes secondary glazing where I am positive this will erradicate any draughty areas and help reduce external noise levels. I will also ensure that the Food & Beverage Manager addresses and re-trains where appropiate the breakfast team following your feedback.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the food during your stay and I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

Kind regards
Köln
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have stayed in a Junior Suite from Nov. 30th 2013 to Dec 1st 2013. The room was booked in advance at a price of 254 GBP including breakfast for two. The hotel was easy to find and convenient located close to the motorway. Some criticize that but the hotel is located close to a racetrack and motorway and you can see that before you book and draw your conclusions. Upon arrival it was difficult to find a place to park to check in and carry your luggage to the room. No help was offered here as well.

Check-in procedure was easy and we were given directions to the room (number 28). The room is located over the reception with direct view onto the motorway (which did not bother me at all).

We had booked a dinner menu in advance and had a reservation for 8 pm. Prebooked dinner menu is no different to what you see on the menu, there are two menu options and the higher priced menu can be upgraded to.

We arrived at a minute to eight to be welcomed and shown to a seat in the bar instead of being led to our table. There we were presented with the menus. We should choose the food, have a drink and then we were supposed to be led to our table. Halfway through this procedure we were again asked whether we would like a drink and before we could even read the menu to the last page we were kind of hurried through the process. I have been over the world and the UK a bit but never was there such a way to start a dinner. Only explanation I can think of is that the table wasn't ready at the time, but this could have been amended by a complimentary drink at the bar without all the hassle.

In the restaurant we chose a bottle of wine for the main course and rose champagne for the starter. The champagne was brought after 10 minutes with the explanation that they had to get a bottle first. Too bad though that they brought the wrong one and had to go back again.

Amuse bouche was nice. The starter was OK, but the quantity was rather on the smaller side. The main course - rack of lamb - was a joke. Google "rack of lamb" in the image data base and you get an impression what a rack of lamb looks like in 99.9% of all restaurants. Here you get 5 mini slices of lamb with a totally dry fondant potato and some peas. My wife, having said that she was allergic to onions, was cared about very well at that point with regard to the starters, but the main course was served with onions, because you were supposed to repeat it with every course of the menu? My wife mentioned the quality and quantity of the food and received an immediate second main course. I, having had the same thing, wasn't even asked whether I liked mine. Desert was fine.

We were waited by four waiters altogether during dinner, but we had the feeling that none of them talked to each other behind the scenes.

Sleep: The bed was not too wide and I awoke early due to constantly hitting the bed end. Me being 174 cm tall (which is below average) and a bed being just 190 cm "long" just do not fit together.

The bathroom: Toilet located right across the door, so you better lock the door unless you want to have broken toes. The shower head is located over the sloped part of the bathtub and very low, so if you want to wash your hair, you'd better have gecko feet and artistic abilities. At least they put a handrail on the wall to meet the safety requirements.

Breakfast: If we thought the stay was rather unpleasant up to now, we didn't have breakfast yet. My wife likes to eat cheese of which a variety was advertised on the breakfast menu. There was no cheese to see, so she asked for some. There was none. As she was not content with that answer, they searched again, said all the good cheese was at the breakfast in the other part of the hotel (probably for the wedding party) and presented her a plate with slices of cheese of the type you get when you leave cheese out in the sun for a day or two. If I had expected that I would have brought a camera to show. The water melon also looked as if it had travelled to and from the fridge quite some times. My full english breakfast was accompanied by ham that you would have had to cut with a chainsaw which they didn't provide, so I ate the eggs that were quite nice.

Upon check out I paid close to 400 GBP for the stay and dinner and after that I was asked whether I liked my stay. I told the same story to the lady at the desk and asked her to forward that to Julia Hands, the CEO of Handpicked Hotels to leave a reaction to her. We will see what happens. I was refunded the 74 GBP for the dinner to compensate for the unpleasant stay.

I have stayed in other Handpicked hotels regularly (e.g. Chilston Park) which were much better run.

In my eyes being a company owner myself, the problem lies in the management and it's supervision of the employees and the processes.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Aposonnar
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I am truly sorry that you have been disappointed with your stay. We, of course, aim to ensure all of our guests thoroughly enjoy their time with us and I apologise that we have fallen short of your expectations on this particular occasion.

Naturally I will be addressing your feedback with the team in order to make improvments for the future, and I believe an adjustment was made on the bill by way of an apology.

Many thanks again for your time - please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss your stay.

All the very best for now.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We booked an overnight stay, looking forward to a beautiful delicate afternoon tea. Afternoon tea is included in the booking. Because it was a rare and special escape we upgraded to the champagne tea. Everyone else in the restaurant had it beautifully presented on a 3 tier tray, but because we were resident, and had chosen to upgrade, we got ours served on a lump of wood, followed by a piece of slate. Complaining got no result. So VERY disappointed. Although clean, service is poor.
The swimming pool / spa is only available at very limited times, so not accessible on a Sunday. Avoid.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Christine W
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your views on Trip Advisor following your stay with us.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your afternoon tea with the way in which it was presented. We were fully booked with afternoon teas on the day when you stayed with us, and before you enquired and upgraded from a cream tea all of our tea stands were in use. We did not want to say 'no' to your request to upgrade so chef tried to display your afternoon tea in a different way, please accept our apologies as this was not to your liking. I am aware that the Food & Beverage Manager did waiver the charge of the upgrade for afternoon tea and also a glass of champagne by way of an apology for your disappointment.

I would be grateful if you could contact me in relation to the availability of the swimming pool and spa for more detail to your comments as there are no restrictions on a weekend for access for to the Health Club & Spa and it is open from 8am to 9.30pm.

Please do contact me direct if I can be of any asistance.

Kindest regards

Stroud, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I stayed for one night and so therefore did not get the full benefit of the lovely room I had been allocated. It was very spacious with views over the garden at the front of the hotel. The bed was just about the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The full English breakfast was one of the best too, and the staff were friendly, cheerful and helpful. However, during the daytime there is a lot of noise from the nearby racetrack so it's not the place for a quiet retreat (at least during the daytime). I didn't get chance to try the spa :-(

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Many thanks indeed for your review of the hotel following your stay with us.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is great to receive such positive feedback too on the beds and breakfast - the beds have all recently been replaced and the food and beverage team have been working hard on improving our breakfast standards recently following on from guest feedback. We appreciate you sharing your comments and we hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again soon.

All the very best.
Fairseat, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Stayed here as part of a company event and was fortunate to have a junior suite. This is a typical "hand picked" property, a bit old fashioned, a bit quirky and if you look closely some areas would benefit from a bit more investment. The room was pretty good, very comfortable bed, a bit too warm, free wifi, very decent breakfast, free fruit and bottled water. Good mid week rate. The surroundings are rural and enjoyable given how close it is to the motorway. All in all much better than i had expected and with a gym next door this is a nice place to stay for a couple of nights. We live nearby and this is a far superior hotel to the Thistle around the corner.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Many thanks indeed for your review, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

The team will be delighted with your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back. As you live locally, why not join us for our popular afternoon tea or a traditional Sunday lunch at some point with the family to enjoy the hotel for pleasure rather than business next time.

All the very best.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews about road noise, we were pleasantly surprised as this wasn't a problem. The setting is beautiful and the old part of the hotel quite charming. The bedroom was well appointed and spotlessly clean. The swimming pool was the perfect temperature, as was the jacuzzi, great spa facilities.

The restaurant staff however weren't up to speed. The dinner menu options were not clearly presented and at breakfast time the staff seemed bewildered; we had to ask for milk for our coffee and utensils which is unexpected in a Handpicked Hotel.

Good location for traffic links and Brands Hatch, seem very geared for weddings, comfortable stay.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your views following your recent stay at Brandshatch Place Hotel and Spa.

I was pleased to note that you really enjoyed the spa and found the hotel and bedrooms to be well appointed, however please accept my apologies that the restaurant staff appeared not to be up to speed when serving you. I will be sure to share your feedback with the Food & Beverage team to ensure that we rectify these areas moving forward.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back at some point in the future.

Kind regards
Andrew Oxby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawkham
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
Nutfield Priory Hotel & Spa
The Spa Hotel
The Spa Hotel
#2 of 14 in Royal Tunbridge Wells

Been to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!