“Felt 2nd best”

Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fawkham
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

The first room we were given was smelly and had plastic opaque film covering the windows, no view at all.
We were moved to another room which was ok. But again had opaque film on the windows.
When we arrived for breakfast. We were asked if we were in the weddings party, we answered no, and were told to go through to the back and find a table.
They appeared short staffed and tables were waiting to be cleared.
People who came in after us were asked for their selection before us and we had to ask if we could order.
The staff were not particularly friendly or welcoming.
Nobody asked if we were enjoying the breakfast, nor came to clear our things away.
We were left feeling that we would have had better service if we were part of the wedding party, but we were made to feel rather a nuisance.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank SallyBrooke
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that you were made to feel second best at breakfast and the service was impacted upon by a wedding party in the hotel at the same time, and please accept our apologies for this. We always continue to strive to make necessary improvements to ensure that all of our guests have their expectations exceeded on each and every visit, and I am very sorry that on this occasion this was not the case.

We do hope that you will one day choose to return to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa where we look forward to ensuring you thoroughly enjoy your stay.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

After reading the reviews on here before our stay I was a bit dubious over what to expect, however I needn't have worried! The lady on reception was helpful and attentive and showed us to our room which was clean and had everything we needed (all bar slippers) however we just asked for these when we got to the spa area and they were provided with no problems. Our only gripe was that the jacuzzi was so hot we felt we were being slowly cooked but as we were enjoying ourselves so much it didn't really matter and we just went back to the pool. The restaurant food was delicious, we had ham hock terrine which was beautiful and the lamb for main which was cooked perfectly, the best bit was the waiter coming over and offering us various other things with compliments of the chef, which was an added bonus. We had an issue with the DVD player in our room which was quickly sorted by a friendly member of staff. There were a couple of minor issues during our stay, but nothing that wasn't rectified in a courteous and expedient manner and also nothing that would deter us from returning! The service at breakfast let the experience down a bit when the waitress (who we thought might have been new) was very flustered and looked harried and also offered something not on the menu which after ordering she said they didn't do?! She also denied us asking for something when we did which we thought was odd. We heard the people on the next table complaining about the same breakfast we had, but the food really was fantastic and we couldn't fault it ourselves. Thanks to all the staff for a brilliant stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you had a fantastic stay and thank you for your kind comments and in particular the food, I will ensure your feedback is shared with the team.

I was pleased to note that despite there being a couple of minor issues during your stay, we were able to rectify them immediately when you highlighted them to us and you were happy in the manner in which they were dealt withand it did not impact upon your stay in any way.

On behalf of all the team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a disaster of a Hotel. Granted, the rooms and staff are nice, but heaven forbid having a meal in this place. Don't be fooled by the two AA Rosettes that this Hotel has, as quite frankly the AA Inspector that rated this hotel was either very, and I mean Very drunk, or was quite likely bribed to give this rating.

Firstly on checking in to the hotel, the service was lovely, and the receptionist even walked us up to our room. Great start. the room itself is nice, so we cannot complain about that either. We got changed and went down to the spa where we spent a bit of time in the pool, and then wandered over to the Jacuzzi, which we had really been looking forward to. Only to be hugely disappointed that the water was cold. One of the Gym members kindly pointed out to us that this had been like that for 2 days.Clearly not too much of a concern to whoever runs the gym. Maybe the 5 staff members standing chatting at the reception desk could have noticed this 2 days before?

So, disappointed, we walked back to our room. Got changed and went down to the bar. Waiting for a few minutes someone finally arrived. My wife asked if they did any cocktails, upon which the lady wandered off to go and check. a Simple question I thought...We ordered a bottle of wine and a drink for my wife and took a seat in the lounge, which has less atmosphere than my toilet. Worth noting too, that the bottle of red which I ordered was a bottle of Stellenrust Fairtrade Pinotage. I only noticed later that the Wine list stated it was a 2010. The bottle was in fact a 2011....but then that's just me being petty. Although, with the cheap paper used for the wine list, this could have been easily rectified.

We played some cards and then ordered some food. We shared a starter of Foie Gras with Wild Mushroom Jelly, Quince & Toasted Brioche.....the most uneventful starter we have ever experienced. It wasn't so much the size, which, even if I had a magnifying glass, I would have struggled to see it. It was more the fact that the rich, silky smooth taste was completely non existent, and the Brioche was so thinly sliced, Jesus would have struggled to feed one person with it. For £12.50 the worst starter I have ever come across. Next up, I ordered the Gourmet Burger. Yes, dear reader, it said "Gourmet". If I had gone to McDonalds, the burger "patty" would have been almost the same thickness. Completely overshadowed by the bun of course, which looked exactly like the cheap, pre-cut Warburtons long life buns you buy in the Co-Op. The chips were also undercooked. I struggled on, as I was very hungry, but at times, I felt more keen to chew on my leather shoe. On the plus side, the condiments were well presented in Gravy boats....a lovely touch.

Naturally, as you might gather, I decided not to chance it on the desserts. We signed the bill and went up to the safe haven of our bedroom, where I decided to tuck into the fruit bowl just so I could get something decent into my mouth. Now, at this point I must stress that I hate fruit....I never eat it! Desperate times call for desperate measures. I had an apple and a couple of strawberries. I couldn't touch the grapes though as they had clearly been on 4 previous fruit bowls already.......We slept, bed was comfortable.

Breakfast was interesting too. We ordered the French toast with maple syrup and bacon. Please, dear reader, never order the French toast, as I believe they have mistaken the word French toast for Fried bread. That's what it was. The lady at the table next to us ordered the waffles. a Few minutes later, the waitress came back to inform her that unfortunately they didn't have any. Clearly not freshly made then. About 10 minutes later the waitress came back and said "I'm really sorry, but we've just found the waffles".....How does one find a waffle I ask you? Amazing....maybe it was hidden under one of the workbenches in the kitchen. We very quickly finished our meal, checked out and hurried back to our house.

This Hotel would not get more that a 1 star rating, let alone a 4. If it wasn't for the friendly staff we encountered and the comfortable room, I would have given it a zero!! Good luck to anyone staying there in future..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank knysna1979
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your stay. Clearly I was disappointed to note your experience and in particular your opinion of the food, I will certainly discuss this with my head chef in order to review your comments for the future. Please accept my sincere apologies that it was below your expectations.

After investigating your comments I was disappointed that you did not make comment during your stay to any members of the team when we carried out various satisfation checks throughout your stay, which would have allowed us the opportunity to speak with you and rectify any errors at the time to your satisfaction.

I am sorry if the jacuzzi did not feel up to temperature, we will review our records. We run the jacuzzi at 38 degrees and check every two hours - we will be sure to review this procedure to prevent any further anomaly.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, and for your high grading scores on the rooms, cleanliness, sleep quality and service that we provided.

I would be happy, of course, to discuss your stay further if you would like to speak with me directly at the hotel. All the very best for now and I hope to speak with you soon.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

just returned from a back operation and stayed at Brandshatch Place. the staff could not have done more for us - superb and highly recommended. The food quality was good and the attention to detail - even down to room service was consistent. Mike and Caroline

Room Tip: there is a lift if you are visiting the hospital nearby and well worth asking for a room near it
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Mike and Caroline

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

It was a real pleasure to read your review featuring such kind words about the team and the hospitality they offered. I will ensure these and certainly the comments about the food are relayed to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa when we can assure you of our very best attention again in the future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked my wife a driving experience day at Brands Hatch racing track for her 40th and we decided to make a few days of it, so we tried to find the nicest hotel nearby and guess what we found it!! From the minute we arrived the staff were just fantastic, on checking in the receptionist ask us if we were staying for a special occasion and when we told her we were, she found us the best room available. The room was very spacious, clean with a lovely view. My wife decided to book a treatment in their spa which she assured me was money well spent; I went into the bar and watched a bit of Sky Sports in 3D. We had dinner in the restaurant which was spectacular. The bed was just like the bed at home so we both slept very well. In the morning we had a hearty breakfast. I really can’t say enough good things about the staff; they were all very pleasant and took a genuine interest in why we were staying. The only bad thing about the few days was my wife’s driving on the track, I was glad we paid the extra £ 49 to take out the extra insurance cover!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I enjoyed reading your feedback and review and it was great to hear that your wife enjoyed her 40th Birthday, please pass on our belated birthday wishes. Being close to the Brands Hatch racing circuit we are ideally located for guests to enjoy the racing experience whilst in the comfort of a four star country house hotel with health club and spa. I am pleased that you found the time to enjoy our facilities and service, and I will ensure your kind words are passed on to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kindest regards

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed for 1 night and it was not very special. We checked In to the room and the was only one set of towels in our room, no robe or slippers to go to the spa in. Went in to the bathroom and it was not the cleanest, house keepers obviously rushed the bathroom. We had up graded to a executive room but it did not feel very special. Wine very expensive by the glass in the bar. We chose not to eat in and walked to the local pub, which vas very nice.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Andrew_Oxby, General Manager at Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay.

I would like to apologise for the points you have highlighted regarding the housekeeping of the bedroom with robes and slippers. Such feedback will allow us to prevent any reoccurrence of this nature, and I will share your comments with the team.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I visit brands hatch place hotel in April this year and I didn’t see what all the fuss was about, I thought that their customer service at reception was rather poor reasons for saying this is, when we booked we was told that we had champagne on arrival which was not given to us, there was waiters with champagne but as there was a wedding we believed it was for them and not us.
When we got up to our room we wanted to head straight to the spa, we had robes in our room but no slippers, so we went to the spa were we was told that we should go back to our room and ring reception and ask about the missing slippers, we rang for 20 minutes on and off but didn’t receive an answer, so my daughter went down and asked the lady at reception she said that she will see what she can do, clearly nothing came of it, as she was young the lady couldn’t be bothered with her, I went down and asked myself she then said no we don’t have any for you, why didn’t she say that in the first place? So we walked bare footed for the day.
On the night time we went down to the lounge bar were the barman was clearly rushed off he’s feet, I think that you may need more staff. We also tried to get a table in the a la carte restaurant but they couldn’t fit us in fair enough we should have booked in advance, so we ate in the lounge bar which wasn’t a great lay out, eating on to very small tables pushed together wasn’t pleasant, we ordered our food and was told it would be around 25 minutes, 55 minutes later it finally arrived obviously more fussed with the a la carte guest, drinks were also very overpriced people were shocked to hear the price of a glass of red wine which was over £10.
When we revisited the spa the next day we was then explained to that the slipper are in lockers when you arrive for your spa day if this was explained to us yesterday it would have saved a lot of bother. Overall the experience wasn’t amazing more like average.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Elise F

Thank you for posting your comments. We always endeavour to ensure every guest is thoroughly looked after and I can only apologise if we faltered in certain elements of your experience, please accept my apologies for these shortfalls, and I assure you that I will be addressing your feedback with the team to improve for the future.
I am hopeful that should you chose to return, you would notice the imporvements and it would allow us the opportunity to reinstate your confidence.

Andrew Oxby

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fawkham
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa
Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa
Donnington Manor Hotel
Donnington Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Dunton Green

Been to Brandshatch Place Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!