“Perhaps I expected more”

Alfred Nobels Bjorkborn
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Karlskoga
Halifax, Canada
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Perhaps I expected more”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Knowing the importance of the Nobel Prize to many, I thought this would be an interesting museum. I'm not sure what I expected, but I expected more than we got for our HopOn-HopOff ferry-ticket-discounted price of SEK 70 each.

We were given a museum "tour" in English, but the tour turned out to be walking around an area not much larger than my living room at home here in Nova Scotia and being shown two or three display cases. The guide did explain well how the prize was started, how the fund is invested, how decisions are made by a committee, and how the Peace Prize Laureates are chosen by a panel of five Norwegians, whereas the other four prizes are awarded to Laureates chosen by various organisations in Sweden. No government person may be involved in the process to eliminate any political influence.

The five Nobel Prizes, awarded annually and, last year worth US $1.2M, are: Peace, Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine and Literature. There is also a Nobel Memorial Prize awarded for Economic Sciences, which was not established by Nobel himself, but which was created in 1968.

We were shown a copy of the gold medal, which is awarded along with the monetary prize and a diploma.

We wandered around the area, but were out, having used the very clean washrooms, within 20 minutes.

Other than to say you have been to the Nobel Museum in Stockholm, we would not recommend people go there expecting to learn anything more than a quick search on Google would reveal.

Visited June 2013

India
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Diasappointment”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

I entered with a great expectation paying a hefty fee and came out feeling cheated. The ticket was 75 kroner for senior citizen and 100 for others for 20 minutes guided tour. It was sheer waste of money. It can easily be given a miss.

Visited June 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Great Museum”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

The tour was very informative and entertaining. I learned a great deal about Alfred Nobel. The museum has several buildings, on a nice property, with different displays.
"Fiffiga Huset" is really great for the children as well as for adults. Unfortunately, it's only in Swedish.

Visited July 2012
New York
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

This was an excellent tour to take. A must see in the area. The tour of the Nobel house was one of the best things we saw in Sweden.

Visited July 2012
Darwin, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fantastic”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Wow. I had no idea who Alfred Nobel really was and what his legacy is to the world. Now, thanks to the most AMAZING tour I have ever seen, I will never forget. I would recommend going through the laboratory first before doing the tour. Adds to the experience in my opinion. Cafe serve simple lunches and souvenir shop sells very fair prices books and things. Highly recommended!