“El Pital Highland: Mountain Lodge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ignacio
El Pital Highland Mountain Hotel
Atlanta
“El Pital Highland: Mountain Lodge”
Reviewed February 27, 2008

I was in El Salvador this past December, as I went to visit my family who lives there. I have lived in the US for 20 years now, and every year or two I visit my family in El Salvador.

This is the second time we visit this hotel. This time I went with my wife and kids and my brother and his wife. They told me about this place they like going to so we all visited it for a weekend. We had a wonderful time. We stayed in a cabin for four people, and they stayed in a room separate from our cabin.

We had dinner in the restaurant and after we all headed to my cabin. I wasn´t that hungry at the time, but we were told the restaurant was closed at 7:30, which was early for me. One of the employees came by and turned on the chimeney. This was the perfect place to sit back and enjoy the company of my family.

We were happy to go during this season, as the manager told us it's the coldest time of the year. On our second visit we were more prepared than the first time, since we brought more warm clothes and binoculars. The mountain is more than 8,000 ft above sea level, and the view is wonderful. On Sunday morning the manager took us and another group who was staying in another cabin on a hike. We walked for about a mile and we got to another property of the hotel. The view here was magnificent, and we could see many small towns which are below the mountain. The guide who came with us explained to us which towns were which and about the mountain. I recomend to take binoculars and your camera if you go on this hike.

I recomend this place for anyone who likes nature. I also recomend this place for those who like cold weather, so bring a sweater.

• Liked — being around nature and the view, good time with the family
  • Disliked — they close the restaurant to early, no bar
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank Timtraveler75

Business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 9, 2008

My daughter and I booked a stay at El Pital Highland Mountain Hotel based on a glowing article I had seen in the L.A. Times. My daughter, who speaks fluent Spanish booked by telephone directly with the hotel, had great difficulty reaching the hotel by telephone and found the woman with whom she spoke to be quite rude. Only cash is accepted at the hotel and they require a deposit at their bank in El Salvador for 1/2 the cost of the stay. We had a terrible time finding the hotel. There were good signs for two other hotels in the area but we saw none for this hotel. We called the hotel for directions and again were again treated with rudeness. We did find the hotel after a beautiful drive up the mountain, at last found a sign and eventually found the hotel itself. We parked and again were treated rudely by a woman whom we assumed was a caretaker. She eventually directed us up to the hotel restaurant, which was a pleasantly crowded on a Saturday afternoon, and we checked in with the very nice owner for our two night stay. We were required to pay cash in advance. We went back down to our car and room which was very dark, very damp and very very cold. We went back up to the restaurant where we requested and received an additional wool blanket which we wore to dinner and took to bed. We froze that evening, slept badly and woke with many many spider bites. The owner had told us when we checked in that there was hot water and there was not. After breakfast the owner took us on a hike (no charge) to the top of El Pital and it was magnificent, although there appeared to be some difficulty with a neighboring owner which involved us climbing under a barbed wire fence. The owner was extremely nice and accommodating and the view was extraordinary. We returned for lunch and were informed that lunch was the last meal which would be served that weekend as the staff left at 4:00 PM, the gate would be locked and we would be the only guests. We watched everyone leave and then left ourselves, having decided that we were willing to forfeit the cost of one night's stay to avoid the cold.

Most of our concerns related to miscommunication, but my daughter is a fluent Spanish speaker, as she currently lives in El Salvador. The property is beautiful and the host is enthusiastic and welcoming. They are currently building a conference center and additional rooms but the accommodations are very very rustic.(and we were anticipating a rustic lodge) I would recommend a visit for the view and congenial host but recommend that you dress warmly for day and sleep time.

• Liked — the host and the setting
  • Disliked — the room, spiders and rude employees
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family

#1 of 1 in La Palma
Los Naranjos Town Houses
Los Naranjos Town Houses
#2 of 2 in Los Naranjos

Been to El Pital Highland Mountain Hotel? Share your experiences!