See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

I respect bad opinions but mine is so different. After many days of trekking and hard time in the jungle and mountain,I consider El Colonial as an oasis,and a perfect place to rest in Choroni.My room was so clean,as the bath also was,and interior terrace of the hostal is great to have breakfast or a sweet shower after beach.Staff is so kind,specially Graciela, and price is very good.I stayed 3 nights and unfortunately we had to move to another hostel the 4th night because we didn t make a reservation and no rooms left,and believe me, I missed El Colonial in my new hostel...If needed to point a bad thing,just that wi fi is working badly, but it seems not a particular problem of the hostel because I also tried the cyber coffee service that is at the next door,and also experienced problems. At this moment he hostel only offered breakfast (not included in the room price), not meals. It s perfectly located at 5 minutes of Choroni-Puerto Colombia moll. Very nice place!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and were treated like scum. Hospitality is definitely not in the vocabulary of any of the staff members. We now know why this is the cheapest place in Puerto Colombia. There are plenty of other much friendlier and more welcoming hostels to stay in.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Hi, me and my sister stayed here at the start of our backpacking tour of Venezuela. It was exactly what were needed, cheap and clean rooms, friendly helpful staff (who spoke english) and security.
There was always someone manning the reception hence the security. Our room was right by the entrance which i think was near to a bus stop. So people could easily walk in and out. The door to our room was a bit flimsy but was over looked by the desk so this was ok.
there is a tour operator on site and a small kitchen providing breakfast (at an extra cost) with the best coffee i think i have ever had.

Room Tip: walk from one block to the right of where the boats dock and keep straight up that road you will see it on your left
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Hostal Colonial has super cheap rooms ($16 for privates with no bathroom) as well as more expensive rooms with bathrooms. We stayed there for a week, although we met people who were also in cheap rooms in other hostels.

The common areas are very bright with nice views and gardens, our room was very large but dark. It did have a sink which was nice considering we were not paying for a bathroom.

Please note that Puerto Colombia, Chorini often has power cuts. The hostel has a generator which they run for quite some time, but if the power is out for too long (which happened to us a couple of times) the generator only gives power to the common areas and not the rooms.

We ate in the front restaurant which was really good (open in the evenings), but the back one was not open when we were there.

The pros:
Cheap rooms, strong fans, good Wifi (when there is power) and one of the women at the front desk is LOVELY and speaks English if you are at least attempting Spanish. Also everything is clean and well kept.

The cons:
You can't use the kitchen, the rooms get very hot if the power is out and we used a lot of insect repellent to keep the mosquitoes at bay during the night. Also the owners are staunch and rude and it became a game to us to try and get a smile from them.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 17, 2011

The Hostal Colonial staff are quite friendly for Venezuelan standards. They smile and are always there to give advice or answer questions. The hostel itself is very clean and well managed. For a room with two beds and no bathroom the price was 80 bolivar per night, with two beds and a private bathroom the cost was 120. These prices were significantly lower than any other place in town. It appeared as though the whole place was repainted and retiled because everything looked so new, in addition it was very well kemp.
The restaurant in the front of Colonial only serves dinner. The owner and one employer were there every evening at about 6pm. There was no menu, but you could request anything from fish tacos, to spaguetti, to whatever. She will make anything you want as long as she has the ingredients. She uses a lot of olive oil, fish, and herbs so everything she makes tastes very delicious.
The restaurant in the back of the hotel only serves breakfast. It is run by a mother and son. The food is not very good quality. Basically every plate comes with hard and dry cheap sliced bread, and very poor quality ham and yellow cheese. The prices were not very reasonable, and worst of all, the service is THE WORST I have experienced in Venezuela. The son and mother both will not smile at you no matter how friendly you are. If you order something they will bring it at their convenience. The Son sat and stared at me and finished an entire cigarette while my food was waiting on the counter. He knew and it didnt bother him. I ate there 3 mornings in a row, and each time the service and food got worse.
Overall I recommend Hostal Colonial, but be sure to avoid the breakfast restaurant. There are many others around the corner. You cant beat the prices, plus the rooms are like new and very clean.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends