“Small room”
Review of La Posada del Faro

La Posada del Faro
Ranked #1 of 9 Jose Ignacio B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 6, 2010

Room was quite small, kind of run down. Worn out mattress. Good Breakfast , Nice Staff. Expensive.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 8, 2010

This little town is SO charming & wonderful - very relaxing. Beautiful beaches, and a few really fantastic restaurants; we loved NAM, la Huella, and Isla de Flores. A few lovely shops - a bit expensive but really beautiful things. What we loved about this posada, was the peace, the beautiful room, the little porch-deck with a view of the ocean, wonderful ocean breeze at night, lovely staff, wonderful fresh breakfast on our porch as we gazed at the ocean... truly a relaxing time. Night-walks to dinner were just spectacular as we looked up to see orion the hunter - crystal-clear in the sky over us; never saw that or the southern cross before and the night skies were amazing. we were going to stay 3 nights, but stayed on a few more - we travelled a bit east and didnt find anything quite as lovely the next day so we decided to stay on here... what a wonderful spot - excellent vacation; muchas gracias, posada del faro!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We stayed here for 1 night in December in a Double Superior. I really liked the simple charm of the place; we really enjoyed our stay, & the location is great for walking around town & hanging out on the beach. If this were anywhere but Jose Ignacio though, I would expect better service & facilities for what we paid. On the other hand, simple charm is pretty much what Jose Ignacio is about (though this is changing, with quite a bit of construction going on).

We had a great room in all respects but the bathroom. Our room (I think #7) had its own outdoor lounge space, with a trellis, 2 slingback chairs, a table, & a large mattress with pillows, surrounded by hydrangea bushes. This was really a lovely space to hang out in, & worth requesting in advance as I think it's the only one. Inside, the decor was 100% white, relaxing & beachy. Our bed was simple but comfortable. There was bountiful closet space & a mini-bar extremely helpfully stocked with plenty of mineral water at a reasonable price. The disappointment was the bathroom - very plain, a bit dingy, with a small bath; the only amenity was a bar of Luxe soap (albeit cutely wrapped). The entire place had a simple charm to it, but luxurious is not the word. Also, the sliding door to our room did not close or lock properly; we weren't too concerned as the town was quiet when we were there, but it might be an issue during high season, as anyone can easily walk onto the hotel's grounds.

The common areas were comfortable & nicely decorated, but the main pool area is a bit small; without our own lounge area, we would have been fighting for a space had the hotel been full. That said, the "cozy" pool area is also the hotel's charm. There is a sunken honesty bar next to the pool where guests make their own drinks, fronted by a set of stools which make up a swim-up bar; DIY cocktails in this setting are actually quite fun. The pool faces the sea but has privacy due to a large fringe of plants separating the hotel from the public beach. The sunset views from the pool are gorgeous & made our stay here special. The staff makes a bonfire every evening around 9pm. There are 2 adorable house dogs which hang around as well. The whole atmosphere was charming & laid back.

The service was perhaps a bit too laid back, but mostly warm & friendly. Our breakfast orders were not taken properly or served promptly, & we had to ask whether we could have eggs. Drinks are all DIY, but then again this added to the relaxed vibe of the place. The hotel had made a booking for us at La Huella, which the restaurant apparently lost, but the staff were able to get back again. There are a few bikes available, which come in handy for running around town, which is only a few minutes walk away. In all, I would recommend this posada if you're looking for a chic but simple, low-key place, right in town, on the beach, with the few caveats mentioned above.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2009

After traveling around Chile and Argentina for 2 weeks with a friend, I decided to extend my trip and stay in Buenos Aires. It was January the week before heading back to the states, I decided I wanted to fit in some beach time. I did not do much research. I went to Trip Advisor, looked up Punta del Este B&B's and loved the review on La Posada. I didn't want to be in Punta because I was a single female traveling alone and felt that a quaint hotel would be more comfortable. La Posada was further than I thought, about 45 minutes from the airport. But, when I got there...it was the best uncovered gem. It was BEAUTIFUL, minamilistic, clean and did I mention BEAUTIFUL? I had a standard room on the first floor (room #5) and loved it. If you enjoy sitting by the pool or on the beach relaxing, reading a good book, and listening to music...this is your spot. The rooms do not have TVs (which I didn't even notice until I heard someone complain) but the beds were comfortable, linens fresh and clean and the lapping of the ocean waves....were amazing. I recommend dinner at La Huella on the beach. 10 minute walk. Great atmosphere and amazing food. Nam was located inland, you may need to ask Santiago how to get there as I made some friends who drove us. Nam's food was to die for, but the ambiance was even better. Nam was lit soley by candles and stars....

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Make-Time-2-Travel
Reviewed February 3, 2009

I want a house like this. In lieu of that, I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

This hotel was perfect for us - laid-back, hospitable, and in a fantastic location - we truly felt like guests in someone's beautiful home. However, while it has a private feel, it does not actually offer a lot of privacy. All the rooms face the pool, which is very communal. You take breakfast out there, you hang out there during the day, and you get to most of the rooms by walking through the pool area. If you are feeling social, this is great. However, if you just want to veg by the pool and be anonymous, it is a little harder, though not impossible. I think for many the word 'luxury' is synonymous with 'privacy', and this is not the case here. This is a different type of luxury experience.

The rooms themselves are probably the least of said experience - so-so beds, tile floors, and poor light in the ground floor rooms -- though the bathrooms were wonderful: big shower, lots of mirrors and counter space, and more towels than I have ever seen in any hotel bathroom! Seriously, we can burn through towels with the best of them, but we had the hugest, never-ending stack of fluffy, white towels for our entire four days. I don't know about other people, but it always bothers me to have to ring housekeeping for more towels, especially in nice hotels. Even if they deliver quickly, I always feel like the experience has been compromised. Here we never thought about it except to marvel at the abundance.

The owner, a lovely man who was there throughout our stay, makes available to guests a number of rooms in the house itself - living room, dining room, and study - which is a beautiful touch. We did not get internet access in our room and had to do some work while we were there, so we spent some time working in the beautiful living room and study -- usually alone, though sometimes with the company of Segundo, the loyal house dog, who is a honey of a pup and will follow you to the beach to play.

The breakfasts are very pretty and lean (I mean, you are in Jose Ignacio, so a bikini breakfast is probably a good idea) - coffee, fruit and a bakery basket - and served wherever you like. I am one of those people who likes my coffee Right Away and it took a little prompting the first morning to get our breakfasts out, though they were properly apologetic. On the second morning I called right away for the breakfast so that fifteen minutes later when we were sitting by the pool, the ladies came trooping out with our trays. Another nice touch: no set breakfast time. I love when breakfast is included at the hotel, but I hate having to wake up by x o'clock to rush down and get it. This is the right way to do it.

The staff was wonderful throughout our stay, coming through with restaurant recommendations, maps, and travel ideas. The Posada provides bikes, beach umbrellas and chairs and makes them really easy to take, which is a nice touch. Sometimes hotels offer this but make it too difficult a process - sign here, go there, etc. --a the Posada, you just grab them at the front door and go.

FOOD:
I noticed in another review that someone bemoaned the lack of food options at the Posada. I didn't even know they offered food, and it's not something they advertise on their website, either, so I wouldn't think to go there expecting food. More importantly, you are five minutes by bike/car/walk to one of the best restaurants on the coast, La Huella. We ate there seven times, trying everything on the menu. Every single meal exceeded expectations. We were there just before christmas, so the season had not yet begun and, as such, other restaurants were not open. I am sure there are other great places to eat during the season, but this particular restaurant is really special. I would need a whole separate review to do it justice, so for now I'll just say it is one of my favorite restaurants in the entire world.

CAR:
When I booked our last-minute trip to Jose Ignacio, there were no cars available. It was so dire that one car rental agent told me to get a bicycle as there was not a single car left in all of Uruguay. I was worried because almost every post on Punta/Jose Ignacio/etc says you NEED a car. Let me just say, you CAN stay at the Posada del Faro without a car. We ended up getting one, which was fine (if expensive), but only used it to drive the two minutes to La Huella and back. Seriously. We had grand plans of driving up the coast to see some other towns, but never made it past the dirt road.

One last note: as of Dec 20 2008, there was construction going on in the lot across the side road from the Posada. The construction doesn't block the view to the ocean, but it is noisy and you will notice it. However, the house was going up so quickly that it will probably be done soon. Best to ask before you go.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Excellent inn! We had a wedding in the area and actually chose this hotel because of the reviews here. What a great choice and what a great vacation! First of all, its a beautiful building, the rooms are not huge but all gorgeously white with nice mini-bar and bathroom and private veranda. Beach (freezing!) is a short walk away and the pool is a great hangout with self-serve bar included. You can have breakfast whenever and wherever you decide. They have simple but nice sandwiches and salads for the rest of the time, since they don't have a restaurant. The service was great, willing to help but almost invisible at the same time.This is a great upscale place to relax and do nothing! Loved it!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We just got back from La Posada. We had booked it for a week but left early because of poor weather. In all fairness I think we would have like the hotel much better if the weather was better. When we first arrived the room wasn't ready despite being almost 2pm.Then we wanted some food but they dont really have much just some salads for lunch, no menu or anything. They really fall down in the area of food because there are not many places to eat in the area. They serve a breakfast of tea and breads and some unknown salad for lunch.The manager is very nice and spoke English which in this area is tough to find. He is the only staff member that speaks English. We later got our room which is very bright and clean with a nice view of the water. Now I know this is a minimalist hotel but the room had nothing. I mean no tv, no radio, ipod dock, no slippers or robes and only one soap in the bathroom for the sink and shower. Again all this would have been fine if the weather wasn't rain for days on end and we were stuck inside without much to do. So all in all the place is nice, clean, safe etc but just very basic. They have some bikes you can take to the beach and a swim up self serve bar in the pool. The pool and grounds are very nice.

Stayed: February 2008