“The BEST Way to See NaPali Coastline!”

Na Pali Coast State Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Wainiha
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic area offering beautiful beaches and dramatic cliffs.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The NaPali coast is stunning - I recommend you see it at least two ways - from the top lookout of the Waimea Canyon, then from the water. The BEST way to see it from the water is the Na Pali Experience - 808-635-1131 or napaliexperience.com . Call before you are on Kauai, because their tours fill up fast - I called a couple of weeks before our trip and got the last morning boat available for the 6 of us. Their 5 hour tours take 6 people max, and the boats are roomy and comfortable. My husband and I went with 4 young adults in their 20's - we all loved it. Captain Nate was the best (although the reviews for all their captains are great). Since he was the age of our kids, they got along great. He has lots of history and lore about the island to share. He's as eager for adventure as everyone else on board. If you can fill a boat by yourselves (6 people) - all the better. Nate will really tailor the tour to your desires. We saw bottle nose dolphins, hundreds of spinner dolphins, and a Hawaiian monk seal (which is very unusual). We went into lots of sea caves, saw spectacular coastlines, snorkeled for an hour - their snorkel equipment is top quality and Nate made sure to show us where to find sea turtles. When you return from snorkeling, they have a nice snack of fresh fruit, chips, granola bars and beverages for you. We went on the morning tour. If anyone in your party has a tendency for motion sickness, book early so you can go in the morning. We noticed an increase in choppiness on our return - but it still wasn't bad. And Nate was super-skilled in avoiding the worst waves. Well, book early anyway, because this is one adventure you and the whole family won't want to miss! It's worth every penny. Bring along a camera, waterproof preferred. And bring along a good tip, because these guys earn it!!

Two of our attached photos are the Coast looking from the top Waimea Canyon lookout; the remainder are from our NaPali Experience tour.

5  Thank mrsclean58
Write a ReviewReviews (1,853)
All reviews
in 17 reviews
"beautiful scenery"
in 25 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We hiked to the beach, about two miles down the trail. The views are amazing. One of the best things we did in Kauai AND Maui. The hike is pretty difficult. I'm an experienced hiker and I was nervous about all the scrabbling over ridges that make up parts of the trail. It's not that you are at risk of falling off a cliff; it's that it's slippery and you could twist an ankle or have another tripping-related injury. But it was totally and completely worth it for the beauty that you just cannot possibly see from a car, anywhere else in the US.

2  Thank julieAskimagine
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Today my wife and I went on our 35th trip on Captain Andy's (Southern Star Sunset Cruise, though we have done the snorkel cruise and the 2 hour Poipu sunset cruise). As always this was a fantastic trip...great crew (who emphasized safety, comfort, enjoyment and FUN). Sea was peaceful (but on the ocean no one should EVER expect that all the time...something called common sense). The crew (Capt. Rick, Paul. Brittany, Andrea and Hans) were informative, accommodating and FUN! Food was excellent, nicely prepared and served by the crew. And yes the crew greeted us as we boarded the boat and as we departed the boat (as is both the custom and the ALOHA spirit As a point of information, that has been misrepresented in a couple of recent reviews....tipping is appreciated but not expected. One is free to show appreciation to the crew for a job well done...or not (like any service industry). Tips/gratuities are shared amongst the crew just like the restaurant industry. We have enjoyed EVERY ONE of our 35 trips so far on Captain Andy's and look forward to many, many more. And by the way as one previous reviewer suggested, WE ARE NOT employees of Captain Andy's...just VERY SATISFIED customers from Southern California!

1  Thank Dick W
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'm at a loss here trying to say how beautiful the Na Pali Coast is. I don't know why it's not one of the wonders of the world! It is just jaw dropping. My camera just isn't good enough to take in what my eyes and heart take in. Easily, one of the best 10 things I've ever seen in my life! The only thing missing were dinosaurs! OMG!

2  Thank Traveling O
See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I took a romantic sunset cruise run by the Captain Andy group out of Port Arthur.
We were so lucky - the weather was fine and the seas were mild. This allowed us the opportunity to travel all the way north to the end of the Na Pali coast whereas many journeys have to turn back earlier than that.
Firstly, I must say that the vessel and the crew were both top notch. Playing the Gilligan's Island theme as we departed Port Allen kinda let us know that the tour would be fun. The boat was clean and spacious and the crew tried really hard to relax everybody. When serving drinks and food they made sure that every passenger was looked after with a smile and a friendly word. The skipper entertained with stories and descriptions of the coast's various highlights and was able to navigate his ship pretty close to waterfalls and caves, allowing for excellent photo opportunities.
We were lucky again with the incredible sunset we witnessed on that day. The fluffy clouds and the gentle waves were flooded with beautiful colours that filled the whole vista. I hate this word but I can find no other to express what I felt as the sun set into the Pacific - it was truly AWESOME.

3  Thank newmsie