All reviewsburritobathrooms and showersbeautiful spotrental carfamily rafting tripcold wateramazing experienceanother great mealone nightnext morningstar resortmeeting pointquick hikemain guideevery mealthese guyspura vida
Reviewed May 30, 2015 via mobile

Maybe I can't do these guys justice with my review but I will try. We booked an overnight rafting trip with Kirk, the owner of the Pacuare River Lodge, having found his website randomly from Europe. Even before coming to Turrialba, I had a good feeling. He was polite, efficient, friendly and very genuine.

I was a bit unsure of what the difference between the Pacuare Lodge and the Pacuare River Lodge was when I booked. So, let me clarify for others. Pacuare Lodge is a lovely looking 5 star resort with rafting options which looks extremely nice, but it is not what we were looking for. Pacuare River Lodge is about 10 minutes upstream on the Pacuare River, a gorgeously maintained set of low key nicely spaced and perfectly comfortable (rustic) cabins overlooking a bend in the raging Pacuare. Everything you will eat or drink is brought in on your raft in big coolers, and your guides cook, tend the bar and generally look after your every need.

When we saw Mauricio and Jonathan at our pre-arranged Turrialba pick up, my first thought was "really, these dudes will be cooking for me". I love my grub. Well, I needn't have worried on that score either. The boys cooked like MasterChefs, the burritos were amazing, the fish dinner delicious, washed down with plenty of beer and wine.

The rafting was amazing, the guides were super cool, informative, passionate about the nature around them and their river, and open to sharing stuff about life in Costa Rica. The river itself was just about challenging enough, perfect for adventure-seekers without much experience. I would definitely recommend an overnight on the river if you have time, it's a unique way to spend a great night in the jungle.

Bonus: if you have a car, One of the team will bring it to the take out point so you can be straight on your way, saving about three hours drive.

100% pura vida. Well done guys.

Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
4  Thank barneyDublin
Reviewed May 3, 2015

You start off by white water rafting down the Pacuare river into a remote beautiful spot in the rainforest. Then you find yourself staying in a huge "bungalow", with outside shower and all screened so the sounds of the river and the jungle, birds and howler monkeys, serenade you to sleep. You are served 3 gourmet meals daily, with plenty of options for adventure, horseback riding, ziplining, rafting, etc. Full service spa for relaxing and a happy and friendly staff made this a place with very few equals. Then you get to raft down the river for another 5 hour adventure to get out!

Room Tip: They are all amazing
  • Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve B
Reviewed May 2, 2015

We stayed for 2 nights in the Honeymoon Lodge which was stunning. There's a private suspense bride to a viewing platform, massive bathroom, outdoor shower, plunge pool and outdoor seating area. There's no electricity- don't worry you can charge phones etc at reception- so in the evening you light candles, which made the lodge even more romantic. One tip-it does get dark quick so ladies do your make-up early!

We rafted in which was great fun, i'd never done it before but the guide (Roy) was great and I felt very safe & thoroughly enjoyed it. Leaving we did by road- not for the faint hearted! It's a short cable car across the river &then a 30 minute drive up a very rocky& bumpy road....think i'd have preferred to raft out.

The grounds are well maintained; spa is really good- had a couples massage which was the best massage i've had in long time. One of the best things about Pacuare is the food- every meal was fantastic and dining by candelit at night was always a treat. You chose your lunch & dinner options at the previous meal, they come round with an ipad to show you the menu. Make sure you have the organic banana pancakes for breakfast.

Service was great from everybody that we came across, you're always addressed by name which adds a nice personal touch.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2015

We stayed here as part of a two day rafting trip with Costa Rica Rios. The place is amazing. You raft in and raft out of the trail head leading to the lodge. When emerging from the trail, the entire garden is beautifully groomed and abundant with birds. The cabins all have breathtaking views of the forest and the river. We were lucky and got one of the lower cabins, so we could hear the rapids all night. This is a wonderfully peaceful place.
I imagine that the culinary experience depends significantly on the rafting outfit one travels with. We had a simply wonderful experience. Our river guides cooked an amazingly scrumptious meal for us and joined us for dinner. It was a beautiful end to an exciting day on the water.
While here, in the afternoon we were able to zip-line and rappel at a local course we simply hiked to. The views of the canopy were magnificent.
We also hiked to a local waterfall in the forest.

Stayed: April 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed February 24, 2015

This place is idyllic, raft in and raft out and see some of the most amazing scenery, beautiful forests and wildlife, the lodge itself is very comfortable and we found the food delicious and the staff and service perfect. Just the sounds of the river and nature as a soundtrack to the scenery. The canoe excursion is fantastic, our children had a great adventure, walks in the forest , paddling in the river, wildlife walks and monkey spotting. If you are in Costa Rica don't ignore this place. Our trip was organised by Imagine Latin America, we had excellent knowledgable english speaking guides(our spanish is awful) they arranged the storage of belongings we wouldn't need to bring with us on the rafts. Would love to spend time here again in the future!

Room Tip: If you really need wifi get the room behind the office.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family