Pacuare Lodge
  • Free Internet
Cerro Alto Lodge(Turrialba)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewsno electricityour honeymoonlinda vista suitecanopy tourwhite water raftingzip liningoutdoor showercosta ricathe riversan josebird watchingtop notchonce in a lifetimefood was amazingprivate poolriver view suiteamazing place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My husband and I spent 3 nights/4 days at the end of our honeymoon. We had stumbled across this resort a couple of years ago and have been dreaming about it ever since. It exceeded even our most wildest expectations.

The rafting in was fun. It poured the first day so we mostly read and layed low. The second, third and fourth days were beautiful sunshine and a bit of rain the afternoons. We went ziplining which was a blast. We also had Jonathan (FANTASTIC person!) take us on a hike to the nearby waterfall. We went swimming and had an absolute blast.

The entire staff is so friendly and goes out of their way to make your holiday memorable. We saw so much wildlife and learned a great deal. Having no power and being out of civilization for a few days was an absolute joy and I hated to turn my iPhone back on afterwards.

The food is beyond delicious - among the best we had on our entire trip to Costa Rica. Everything is so fresh and flavorful. We were happy that we brought a few snacks with us though, as we got a bit hungry in the afternoon from all of the activities.

The Linda Vista Suite is AMAZING and worth every penny. We also saw the Honeymoon Canopy suite and it was gorgeous as well - we would stay in either next time.

It is hands-down the most romantic, secluded, and luxurious place we have ever stayed at. It was the absolute perfect place to stay for our honeymoon. We will definitely be back (for a longer stay next time!)

If you're thinking about going....stop thinking and just GO! Worth the splurge.

Room Tip: The Linda Vistas are a hike but well worth the extra money. Absolutely breath taking.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The attention to detail by the staff; from remembering our names, to fantastic table service was wonderful. The trip to the lodge down the river, white water rafting was an incredible way to begin the stay, and from that point the friendliness of the other people who were traveling with us, and the guides, created a fantastic atmosphere. This continued for the entire stay, with great activities set against the most beautiful backdrop. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I just returned and even though I'm dead tired I can't wait to review this place....

One of the BEST trips I've ever taken. We stayed at the Pacuare Lodge for 3 nights 4 days and it was truly magical. The staff is amazing, we love you Jose A. It's a little family so your river guide may also be your waiter, your bartender, nature guide, zip guide, etc. It really allows you to bond. The lodge itself is beautiful and the meals are to die for.

We stayed in the Linda Vista Suite. My suggestion is save up for this room. It will knock your socks off. Only downfall is that you have a nice hike up to your room (your buttocks will be tight by the end of your stay) but it's WORTH it. We were blown away by the beauty.

You don't have electricity which was beautiful at night because your room is lit by candlelit. You don't have to worry with getting all dolled up here either, it's super laid back and casual so not having a hair dryer never once bothered me.

The scenery is beyond words. It's so beautiful. The trip back down the river after your stay is majestic.

All is all - Pacuare Lodge was the best part of our 10 day stay in Costa Rica.

oh - the MOST comfortable bed and pillows you've ever slept on in your life. You'll sleep like a baby!!!

Room Tip: If you can afford the Linda Vista Suite do it....it's worth EVERY penny.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Erica W
Reviewed April 1, 2012

My family and I just returned from a week-long trip to Costa Rica. We did some amazing things, but, by far, our best experience was at the Pacuare Lodge. We stayed three days and enjoyed rafting, ziplining, waterfall repelling, birdwatching, and each other's company. The sights and scenery are breathtaking and the architecture and style of the lodge only enhances the experience as you are never separated from the gentle rhythms of the forest around you. The PEOPLE are what truly make the experience, however. From the moment you begin your stay, they seek out what you want out of your experience and find ways to make that happen. I am sure everyone who stays there comes away, as we did, feeling like we had been treated like family and wishing that we could have stayed much longer.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2012

For the last leg of our vacation, we planned a 3 day rafting/rainforest trip with the Pacuare Lodge.
They picked us up from Banana Azul early in the morning (at an extra cost, which was too expensive if you ask me)- the driver spoke no english, which made it a bit hard to communicate, with the "poqito espanol" that i can speak.
Our contract stated we were to get breakfast on the way to the warehouse (where you drop off your luggage and take a bag with you, enough for three days, since you're rafting to the actual lodge). Well, we never got that breakfast. When we arrived at the warehouse, we were starving, and when asked about it, the coordinator on-site tried to deal with it the best he could. At one point, he gave me his phone, as there was a woman from the lodge (or so i thought) that told me they were going to get breakfast for us, and have it brought to us on the bus that was coming from San Jose with other rafters. Ok, fair enough. Except that never happened. So we're waiting there for an hour for the bus to show up, and thankfully i packed a granola bar to share with my friend. Not the best first impression, if you ask me.

We were on the bus for a good 45 minutes that took us to the raft entry. We met our guides, packed our bags up, and took off. The guides were great. The river was not too rough... maybe class 2...if that.

We arrived at the lodge.. it’s beautiful. The accommodations are really nice and comfortable. There is NO electricity in the lodging, aside from the dining area, so just be prepared for no heat at night (it wasn’t too cold, but since it’s the rainforest, we were constantly wet, with no dryers, etc. so you feel very chilled throughout).
The food was delicious. Although I do have to say that they should have snacks throughout the day- we were a bit hungry during the day, and there is nowhere around to purchase little items, etc. They have “snacks” later in the day about an hour before dinner, which didn’t really make sense to me.
The staff is amazing.. the river guides are very knowledgeable about everything- the water, animals, plants, etc. and they are your waiters for the meals. Very safe and lovely environment. We really enjoyed their company and again, felt very safe when on the excursions and on-site.
A word to the wise- it is very dark and although lit with candles, etc. at night, I saw a few older people fall on the premises. Just need to be very careful.
If you’re not doing the excursions, there really isn’t that much to do, so I would just recommend one night here, as opposed to the two that we did.
Our last day, we rafted back to the warehouse, where our luggage was stored. The rapids were much rougher this time, and we had a blast. The lunch that they gave us while rafting was amazing.. delicious.
After the warehouse, they dropped us off in San Jose (included in cost).

It's a very unique experience, staying at the lodge, and I imagine if it's not raining it's even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: I personally would stick to a "river view" suite, as the upgraded cabins are a hike to get to.. and I would not want to walk there in the dark (again, no electricity=no street lamps, etc. Everything is lit by candle light)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends