We stayed 2 nights and were upgraded to a bush camp suite. The Lodge operates to a very high standard (comparable to what we have found in South Africa, and has that sort of feel). Food, accommodation and service were all excellent. We also had an excellent guide- Martin. Clearly the experience here is a little different to what we had experienced in other game focussed properties because the predators are collared to aid tracking. Of course as is pointed out without this it would be very difficult to see leopard and wild dogs, and through our own experience in other parts of Africa we know this to be the case. With locating made easier, it is possible to see more “action”- we saw a leopard with its kill, and subsequently saw it go up a tree to retrieve it, bring it down and take it into thick grass. We saw wild dogs and cheetahs, and also porcupine at the evening feeding. The provision of bird seed to draw birds to the area outside our suite was a particularly nice touch. Overall we enjoyed Okonjima- but we were fortunate to be there in the low season with low visitor numbers. This lodge does have a more commercial feel, and with a full camp and with increased numbers as a consequence of the expansion currently underway, the experience could be very different in the next high season. Certainly it risks moving away from the authentic wilderness experience which attracted us to Namibia in the first place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OKONJIMA - home of AfriCat, a non–profit organisation, committed to long–term conservation of Namibia's large carnivores. AfriCat started out as a welfare organisation, but after many years of rescuing large numbers of carnivores from irate livestock farmers, it became apparent that the long-term survival of large carnivores on both commercial and communal farmland, is dependent on finding solutions to the ever-increasing human-wildlife conflict. OKONJIMA hosts the exclusive Villa & Bush Suite, Bush Camp, Main Camp, the private Omboroko Campsite & the Volunteer Programme – PAWS. Halfway between Windhoek and Etosha. (B1) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline so you can book your Okonjima Bush Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Okonjima - Home Of Africat Hotel Otjiwarongo
- Okonjima Bush Camp Namibia/Otjiwarongo, Africa