“Sapphire Beach Club vacation experience”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Reviewed April 3, 2005

We just got back from our week at Sapphire Beach Club. The resort seems better than last year. The gardens are beautiful. Our room in the second tower was in good shape as was the furniture. The elevators BOTH were working. Can't beat the view of the caribbean from a balcony with a jacuzzi. The pool was great. the beach is still missing, but a short walk brought us to the nude section past Ocean Club with not much sand and a short walk in the other direction brought us to Cliffhanger and their beach which had a lot of sand.

We spent some time at Atlantis Casino and enjoyed their restaurants. Temptation, Montmartre, and Gondola are all fantastic in different ways. Temptation could be straight out of NY. The chef graduated from the CIA just north of the city. Montmartre could be straight out of Paris at the turn of the last century and La Gondola comes from Rome. The waiter at Montmartre gave us a card for free drinks and sent us to their sister restaurant in Grand Case, Auberge Gourmand. They were doing 1 dollar for 1 euro, so the prices were OK. The food was similar, fine French, in a restored Creole cottage. We went down to Simpson Bay for a wood-fired pizza at Hot Tomatoes one night. Tough to beat a really good pizza and a nice bottle of red for under $40, especially when you can dine on the lagoon. We tried Halsey's another night. The food is pretty good and priced well.

We did a snorkel/sail on Random Wind that was fun, especially if you like to SAIL (not motor) and like to snorkel. The Pub Crawl didn't do either but it was great fun if you like to eat, drink, talk, drink, etc. Other than that, we were in the casinos a bit at night but mostly tired ourselves out on the beaches in the glorious days. It was best weather in a long time said the locals.

11  Thank txgal21

Reviewed March 10, 2005

Hi: I travel to St Maarten at least once a year. I was surprised to hear that one of the reviewrs did not feel the people were friendly. I have been there for the past six years and the people are extremely friendly. I guess you get what you give out. St Maarten does not have many what Americans would consider five star hotels. (La Sammana) If you keep that in mind, you will have a great time at the Saphire. Make sure that you rent a car because you will need it for shopping, going to great restaurants and seeing the awesome beaches!

17  Thank Ann A
Reviewed March 4, 2005

We have owed a villa up ocean front, only to find that evey year the place is worse. We love to keep the window open at night but there are no screens and these mosquitos bitting things come in. The air conditioner dosnt cool the place down and it freezes up for over a day, then melt a big puddle. The three bathrooms are too dark to see putting make up on. the bathrooms were not taken care of properly by roomservice, the fry pans had the nonstick black flakes commimg off in our food, we have seen roaches in the kitchen, the cushions in the living area are filthy-sticky-dirty. To top it off, the worst part is..the manager. He made me feel like I was over reacting. There are alot of things besides this, that were not up to par. He was rude, and snubbed me. Where is the owner? Where do the high cost of maint. fees go? How come there are so many of the same complaints? Better luck this year or we are gone.

• Stayed: March 2004
10  Thank shamrocken
Reviewed March 1, 2005

I've never left a negative review of a hotel until now. Not only is the staff rude, the lack of warm water for a shower (if you even are able to get water) makes it miserable. There are no shower curtains and the water spills all over the floor which creates a musty, dank odor since it gets under the bathroom vanity. The maid service was decent though and some of the desk staff was as well, but the restaurant/bar waiters were deplorable. They all seemed to hate their jobs and taking your order was an insurmountable task. We were there for 9 nights and were ready to go after the first one but the hotels were booked.

I did get a good deal on the rate/night but even at that advantage, I would have gladly paid more for other accomodations.

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank suntrouper
A TripAdvisor Member
Long Island, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2005

The reviews here were a huge part of my ambivalence about booking this place and I sort of wish I hadn't read them. I don't know that I would've really noticed all the negatives if people hadn't clued me into them. We were there from 2/14 through 2/21 for our honeymoon. I'm not a negative person, so I don't let the bad things bother me...but if you are the type that it would ruin your vacation, read on.
The hot tub definitely needs a good scrubbing. The vents outside the room leaked for most of the trip. We called maintenance three times over 8 days to complain about not having hot water and they never came. They did a hotel-wide "water redistribution" during our stay and the water became tepid, but it was never hot. The rooms need a thorough cleaning as well. There is no beach for swimming or tanning. The beach at Sapphire is for looking and that's it. The pool is nice, although there's smoking allowed.
Both sides of the island have the most amazing beaches to see, so I'm glad that we didn't just stay at a hotel beach. The rooms are spacious and cozy; having a kitchen was wonderful. We had a DVD player, which came in handy for me when my husband got sick for a day. Thank you to Mullet Bay Pharmacy for providing flu medication.
The beautiful balcony with the amazing view was awesome; we had breakfast out there every day. The island itself is not beautiful on the whole. There are many beautiful parts on the French side and some on the dutch side too, but for the most part the beaches, the water and the atmosphere make this place beautiful. The people aren't friendly; whoever termed it "The Friendly Island" (as it says on their license plates) was kidding themselves. One recommendation: bring your own pillows. It was like sleeping on rocks for both of us. We called for an extra pillow and it took 3 hours for them to bring it up - and it came without a pillowcase. Also, you totally need a car on this island. Taxis are expensive and the Sapphire isn't within quick walking distance is much.
I didn't see too many nicer places, so I can't really say that this place wasn't great. The Royal Palm was very nice, but the rooms were small. I will say that I talked to someone in the department of transportation before going and asked him where he recommended staying and he said Sapphire and Maho Beach were the two best.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 13, 2005

We stayed at the Sapphire Beach Club on 2/4/05 for one night. We were in room 62 on the 6th floor. Beautiful view of the water, but the problems we encountered did not make up for the view. The mattress on the bed was thin and uncomfortable. The a/c units loud/noisey, no shower curtin in the bathroom, which put water everywhere. Only got hot or cold water in the shower not warm. Ended up taking a cold shower as the hot burned you. Commode would not flush the toliet paper down. The hot tub on the deck was DIRTY. For the money they want to stay in these rooms, it is not a hotel I would return to. The location is out of the way and you have to drive to everything.

3  Thank vacationlady1
Reviewed February 6, 2005

We spent 5 nights at the Wyndham in January, and it was absolutely amazing. After a "budget trip" to Europe last March, this was a very refreshing "American hotel." The room was very large, and the view was unbelieveable. My only gripe about this hotel was that the only beach access we could walk to to tiny, tiny. The cliffs are incredible, but not perfect for beach bums.

16  Thank KJTECU
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
Azure Hotel & Art Studio
#1 of 7 in Simpson Bay

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!