“Awful”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I own a time share at the Sapphire. In short the place is going down hill fast. My wife and I were just there in August. The AC is basically off. The room was so hot it was impossible to sleep. When I asked the people at the desl to look into they looked at you with blank stairs. The manager just smiled and said he would fix it. Never did. Place was dirty. No beach towels. I have a time share and I will never go back. Marcia tried to help but she is powerless. Listen to the other reviews Stay away. This is a complete rip off. Motel 6 is better than this.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank randk c
There are newer reviews for Sapphire Beach Club Resort

Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family of 5 (3 children) recently returned from two weeks in St. Maarten/St. Martin and unfortunately stayed at Sapphire Beach Club Resort. Upon our Saturday night check-in (we arrived at the hotel around 8:30) we were given a room which the air conditioning was not working. The room also smelled of mold and mildew. Over the course of the next hour we were provided 4 additional rooms for us to stay, all of which were no improvement over the first provided room. FInally, after 10:00 PM, the manager got involved and gave us a room which was a currently unoccupied "private residence". The unit had one air conditioning unit in the living area that blew cold air but was not adequate enough to cool down a 2 bedroom unit (the bedrooms had no functioning air conditioning). Meanwhile, my parents who had joined us for this trip also had a room with an air conditioner that barely functioned as well. We contacted RCI our timeshare company but they were rude, unprofessional and of no help as they said there was nothing they could do and that there were no other available RCI properties on the island at the time. We find out later that many of the other resorts were willing to accommodate us had RCI simply contacted them and made some adjusted arrangements.

Other issues we had with the hotel, many of which I have documented with photographs:

There was mold in the room. It was in the closet. Pieces of mold had fallen out of the air conditioning vent and were laying on a shelf in the closet. For two weeks I left the closet door open, the housekeeping staff never cleaned it. There was also mold in the refrigerator.

The mattress was of poor quality and had a sag in it. During our stay I developed a back issue due to the mattress. I have now made 5 visits to my chiropractor to treat a poorly aligned spine and sacrum.

There were never any beach towels. It took nearly 5 days before they had any clean beach towels to provide us from the front desk. Every visit to the desk we were told we would have towels in 20 minutes, then 20 minutes became 60, then 60 minutes became "later in the day". When we finally did get towels we were provided 2, for our party of 5.

The railing on our balcony was very loose. We were on the 7th floor. Needless to say our children were not allowed on the balcony.

There is a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. We never used it, there was algae all along the bottom. Every single day I asked for someone to clean it. On day 12 of our 14 day vacation they finally cleaned it. We never used it, I didnt trust their cleaning job.

The pool was a mess. There are giant potholes on the bottom of the pool and a crack. There was even a pool light that was detached from the wall of the pool and was floating in the pool attached by its electrical cord. When we returned from the beach one day my kids wanted to go for a swim in the pool. We found it to be filthy with dead bugs. Not just a few, but an actual layer of dead bugs on the top of the water. When I brought it to the attention of the front desk they laughed and stated it was Sunday, the pool guy was off that day. We never visited the pool again.

The kitchen faucet was broken. When you turned the water on, it sprayed like a fountain. You couldnt use the faucet without getting soaked. In addition, one day we had loaded the dishwasher but never ran a cycle. The housekeeper unloaded the DIRTY dishes and put them back in the cabinets. Now we had to wash everything!

The unit we were in was missing lighting fixtures. Take a look at the submitted photos. Not a major issue, but just ridiculous and further proof that the hotel does not care to maintain the facility. There were also missing knobs on most of the kitchen cabinets.

On about Day 5 we walked out of our unit and found stains right by our door. It looked as if someone had spilled food and barely wiped it up. On the day we checked out the disgusting stains were still on the floor.

The advertisied wi-fi in the rooms was not working. They stated it was for a maintenance upgrade. It turns out that upgrade was so that you could PURCHASE wi-fi for your room. We were only able to get online while sitting in the mosquito infested lobby.

Due to all of the inconveniences we were offered to stay in the Penthouse for week 2 of our stay. I went and checked it out, and while it was a larger unit (2 floors) it was HOT! In my estimation it was approximately 85 degrees in the room. While our current unit was not much cooler, it was not worth the time and energy to relocate rooms.

On our last full day of vacation, our phone rang at 8:20 AM. We were told that we had to leave our unit by 10:00 AM as there was another guest checking in. We were forced to quickly pack all our items and move two buildings over with little notice. The unit they moved us into was actually in the middle of being repaired. The hot water didnt work and there was a leak. They had removed the cabinets in the bathroom so they could access the plumbing. Again, we grinned and dealt with it as we had plans to meet a friend from the island for breakfast which we were now late for due to this forced move of units. When we returned from our last day on the island, my wife found the room doors wide open, the balcony doors were open, the air conditioning which barely worked in the first place was off (the room was about 85-90 degrees) AND there was a black dirt like substance all over the bathroom. The repairs they were making spewed a mess all over the walls, tub, cabinets etc., in addition all of our belongings which were in the bathroom were covered in this mess. They never bothered to move our things! This was our last full day of vacation, and a fitting end to a vacation that was ruined by the lack of care and concern by any of the staff members at Sapphire Beack Club Resort.

The front desk didnt care. They are smug and unprofessional. Sharon who works at the front desk is worthless. The owner doesn't care, rumor has it that the place had been sold. He wont drop a dime on the place, its not his problem any longer. Meanwhile he has clearly been skimming from all the timeshare owner maintenance fees. The place hasn't been maintained in years. They don't even bother to replace burned out light bulbs.

If you want to enjoy your vacation, please stay somewhere else. This place ruined what should have been two amazing weeks on an island we have loved for years. The stay was so bad that we have sadly lost our love for the island. I have visited St. Maarten/St. Martin about 20 times now, sometimes even twice a year.. This stay was so bad that we are contemplating taking future vacations elsewhere.

The manager even offered us a free week in the future. We declined. That is how bad our experience at Sapphire Beach Club Resort was.

Room Tip: My tip to help travelers choose a good room? Choose a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank coachemg
Reviewed August 18, 2013

No A/C. They gave me a fan. No beach towels everyday. They told me they would have some in a half an hour, but none came. I had to tip the maid to get me towels everyday. Cracks and large pieces of concrete in the pool. Law suit waiting to happen. Lumpy pillows and mattress. Staff logged my complaints, but no one did anything about it. I think the owner is getting ready to go bankrupt and not investing any money in it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if you want air conditioning. Bring your own beach towels.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frank C
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The hotel is really nice. The rooms are spacious and always clean. The pool is big and there is a lovely little pool for kids. Easy transport to and from hotel and beach. Will visit again fuh sure. Its lovely for couples as well as families. Love the little shop downstairs.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This resort is not clean or kept in good repair. The staff at the front desk appear disinterested, but are probably tired of making up excuses for all the insufficiencies. We arrived, checked in promptly and proceeded to our condo. The door was open, the room wasn't clean: food in the refrigerator(and it was rusted), beer bottles outside on the patio, no towels, dirty floor and it was musty and warm in the room...sigh. I thought perhaps the room hadn't been used for awhile. I called the front desk. The housekeeping supervisor arrived in minutes, apologized that the housekeeper hadn't finished cleaning the room(we were not an early check-in, actually, we arrived 2 hours past check-in: 6pm-ish. She cleaned the room. That night, the room never got cool, the smell did not dissipate. I called the desk again the next morning & they said the air conditioning was out and the AC repairman was on vacation...I offered to call my AC guy from Tennessee if they'd buy his plane ticket. The AC was out in the entire resort and they couldn't tell us anything else. Our bed pillows were mildewed and the room continued to smell moldy/mildew for the remainder of our stay. The pillows were mildewed! They said they didn't have anymore pillows and couldn't give us plastic to put them in. The booking company said there were no other condos available for us to move to. There was "gossip" that they were under new ownership, but reliable sources told us that the resort hadn't been sold but WAS for sale. We had a kitchen with no linens, no paper towels, no soap. We couldn't get clean towels more than every 2 days(if it hadn't been so hot and musty it wouldn't have been such a big deal) and we never saw a wash cloth or a hand towel the entire week. Beach towels? HA! Took us 3 days to get fresh ones. The pool was dirty.
I met people on this trip who had stayed at the resort repeatedly for many years and been satisfied until the last few years. I've met people on previous visits who have been satisfied & faithful to this resort. I appreciate that. I've stayed at most every resort on the Dutch side of SXM and they are not all 5 star, but nothing like this. I've had air conditioning go out, had my room flood, been without hot water...I can handle those things-especially when there is some sort of resolution in sight, but this resort had no game plan whatsoever. The upside? A great restaurant and bar(independently owned) That is all. I realize that everyone has a different idea of "acceptable," but let me just say that my friend who was with me on the trip has been sick and missed work for almost a week and can't return to work for another week d/t a respiratory infection from the mold/mildew in this resort. Why didn't I get sick? I stayed with some friends I have who live on the island. My friend decided to stay in the room since we paid for it...
After I got home, I called my booking company and explained what had happened. I expressed that I was upset they couldn't find us another place to stay on the island. They were eager to give me compensation and perks on future trips. I strongly recommend that if you encounter what we did, call your booking company and ask for another resort and compensation.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank SassyRedGal
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Reserved two rooms but upon check-in, one room was not ready (house-keeping had not cleaned up after last guests had left) and a/c and fan to second room was not functioning. Both our parties were moved to different rooms, which were no better (a/c did not work well) and the air quality in the rooms was poor (moldy, musty scent lingered the whole week we were there).
Hotel staff was indifferent. Santana at least tried to humor us, listened to our complaints and apologized as best he could. The other front desk guy spent his whole time texting and one morning did not even answer the phone. I had to leave my room and go down to ask him a question (he was still texting). The hotel has an issue with shortage of towels. I never did find out who the house-keeping manager was???!!! I suggest you either bring your own towels, go au naturel during your vacation or take a quick dip at Mullet Bay because you will wait a life time for a washcloth! The staff at Oreo 22 (hotel restaurant) and mini-mart are independently owned are great! Over-all everything we did outside of the hotel was great. Our only issue was with Sapphire. Fyi, the resort is no longer Wyndham owned and yet it is advertised as such.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bebot
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Reading previous reviews I thought, it can be that bad......so we went......for a good rest/vacation.
I never had such an experiance.
I didn't let it spoil my vacation but can not advice this resort to anyone at this moment room wise.
Front desk staf was helpfull but can't do something for you!
Aircondition has not worked for a whole week, yes it will be fixed, we heard this a whole week, nobody ever came to apolegize/explain ......
Room smells musty/mold, Dishwasher has 2 racks full of rust, Microwave was not working good, electrical stove (1 pit was not working) and you only have 2 pits, 1/4 of all the lights are not working, HOT water tub on the balcony that never had hot/warm unless 12 o-çlock midday due to the sun. Balcony doors that can't be locked, old television in the bedrooms with only 5 to 6 channels.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Alegria Boutique Hotel
Alegria Boutique Hotel
#5 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!