“Big disappointment”

Sapphire Beach Club Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed November 24, 2003

we have been time share owners for the past ten years and have always loved our 2 weeks stay until this past may. our unit was in such disrepair it should have been condemned. the air conditioning leaked water into the closet and clothes were soaked, the sliding glass doors were not able to be opened easily, water from the unit above us dripped down and made the floor dangerous to walk on. the phone was not working. our hot tub was filthy and leaking with side boards falling off. i complained asking for someone to come up to the room to see and fix the problems. my complaints went unanswered, however i did not give up and finally spoke with a desk manager her name was Agele Dormay who was very understanding and within a few minutes transferred us to another room for the remainder of our stay. when i returned home i e-mail my displeasure and experience to "president@sbcwi.com" Bill Olliver. he responded within a day assuring me that he would correct the problems before our next visit. we love this island and before wyndham took over never had a problem. marie

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Reviewed November 15, 2003

What started off as a lovely resort rapidly became a hellhole!
Management does not care about the guests and is always confrontational. My wife bought plastic tokens to use the washing machine and dryer. Two of the tokens broke, so my wife asked for replacements. They said it was her fault they broke and refused to give her replacements. When I heard this, I went into the managers office and assurred him that I was going to get two new tokens or I was going to shove him in the dryer and turn it on. I got the tokens. The room was supposed to sleep eight. One sofa bed was broken and could not be used, and, a pull down bed was not even in the room. The bed in the master bedroom had no linen on it, and, when my wife called the front desk to complain, the yelled at her for not calling earlier.

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Cupecoy Bay hotels

Reviewed October 29, 2003

PLEASE READ : My family and I went to St Maartin from October 18th - October 25th 2003. It was the worst vacation experience of our lives.
The employees who work there were the RUDEST ( including management) that I have ever come across in my life. The staff at the front desk actually threaten one of us by wanting to fight us. ( CAN YOU IMAGINE).
The hotel was constantly trying to making mistakes, whether booking you in the wrong room when you arrived, or trying to charge for something that was already paid for. The resort itself is not that nice. Several things in our room were broken, it needs many updates including NEW EMPLOYEES. I would NEVER refer anyone to this resort or to this island.
Ronda at the activities desk was WONDERFUL. She was the ONLY person/thing at the hotel that is worth mentioning.

Our rental car got broken into RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL. My daughter's car seat and my kids pails and shovels were stolen and front and back tail light. The staff at the front desk could of cared less.
It was like it was just another stolen property. They told us we did not need to contact the police, BUT it turns out we needed to. The car rental company( ALPHA) tried to say the battery and tires were stolen also, Which was a big fat lie. The tried to charge us $497 in damages.
DON'T USE THEM they are cheats and liars.

We went on a day trip to Anguilla on the Heineken Catamaran. It was the best day of all. The day could not have been more perfect. Thanks to the excellent crew that is determined to make your trip memorable. They were so friendly and so accommodating for our children. I would HIGHLY recommend this day trip it is worth the money.

Lastly, we hired a wedding coordinator Lucie Davis. She also was a pain in the neck. I am on vacation and she tells me to meet her at 4:30. I rush home from the beach to meet her to go over our plans, she does not show up until 9:40 PM. She could of cared less. We get to the ceremony and the minister is late. We paid for a sunset renewal of our vows, it was almost dark by the time the minister showed up. Lucie could of cared less. We rescheduled it for 2 days later. The ceremony was very nice, BUT SHORT lived. Lucie actually tried to charge us ANOTHER $250 for the photographer that was ALREADY included with her cost. ( the photography was outstanding) His name is Carlos Lippai at Color Bay Photo Lab. THANK GOD I HAD ALL MY DOCUMENTATION WITH ME. I would not recommend her.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 3, 2003

We stayed from April 5th 2003 to April 12th. We have stayed at Wyndham resorts prior to this trip and have always been satisfied. Two years ago we stayed at the Wyndham in Aruba and we had nothing but praise.
However, we are extremely disappointed and angered with the St. Martin Wyndham. Our stay was disastrous and truly an unpleasant experience from day one.Upon our arrival at the resort, we checked in and were told that our room was ready for occupancy. When we walked into the room it was quite obvious that it was not ready. The entire deck was torn up and unusable. A maintenance man was working on fixing the Jacuzzi. Tired from our flight and ready to begin relaxing, we had to wait around for an hour for the gentleman to finish his work before we could enjoy our room. We initially chalked this up to an unfortunate incident, but soon came to realize that mistakes or inconveniences were a common occurrence at this particular resort.Furthermore, certain members of the staff were unfriendly and not at all helpful. In particular, our so-called representative, Marcia, was missing in action. After recommending, what turned out to be an awful restaurant on our first night, we never saw her again for the rest of the trip. It seemed as though she was upset that we did not tip her for the awful recommendation. There was also an extremely rude woman working the front desk. We asked her if there were any local restaurants within walking distance of the resort. She impatiently replied No and said that we would have to take a $10.00 cab ride into town for a restaurant. This was a complete untruth, we soon realized, as the taxi driver drove right by four restaurants literally walking distance around the corner. In addition, the female bartender/manager was extremely rude and unfriendly throughout our entire stay. The one person you would expect to be somewhat friendly and inviting seemed to be discouraging business.The resort-supplied food was absolutely disgusting and bordered on uneatable. Coupled with the poor service and food, was the complete lack of cleanliness. Our maid cleaned our room, yet left us with no toilet paper. The last thing a couple wants to do on vacation is track someone down for bathroom essentials. There was no shower curtain surrounding the bathtub. Every time we tried to take a shower, water would cover the bathroom floor. The first day I stepped out of the shower, I slipped and banged my knee. The toilet also did not work properly. At this point, I knew we were on the vacation from Hell.Our safe was not working. We called the front desk and they promised that they would send someone up to fix it. Seven days later it was still not fixed. Since, our sliding door lock was broken and we had no safe available, we had to carry our valuables with us everywhere we went. The resort seemed to be falling apart around us. If we hadnt spent so much money and time, it all would have been comical. There were holes in the walls allowing bugs to come in. After a week, we were covered with mosquito bites. The final straw broke the proverbial camels back, after we returned home. I realized that I had left two bikinis and a nice shirt hanging in the closet in our room in St.
Martin. These items had a total cost of $200.00 and were only three weeks old. I immediately called the resort and I was told that they would check with the housekeeping staff and the lost and found. I called repeatedly and, obviously in an effort to stifle my inquiries, I was told they could not find my clothes. I explained to them repeatedly exactly where I left them. I asked politely why these items were not in lost and found. This brings me back to the lady at the front desk, Angel, and her boss. They were not helpful or courteous to me during my inquiries about my things. They treated me like an annoyance and didnt try to hide it from me.I am extremely upset and outraged with Wyndham Resorts. How could a company knowingly subject clients to this kind of abuse? Im sure a decent share of business is gained through word of mouth. At this point, I can not, with good conscience, recommend either company to anyone.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2003

My family vacationed at the Wyndham Sapphire Beach Club in St Maarten in June 2003 for 8 beautiful days and.....Wow, our stay was spectacular! The room was more than we imagined, my husband and I basically had a "room" to ourselves as the living room converted to another suite for our kids that included a partician. The place was FULLY equipped - even had a blender so we found that very convenient all so. We never ate at the restaurant at the hotel however, but had lunch several times at Cheri's Cafe, Le Charolais the last night before they moved. We were glad we didn't stay on the French side as it didn't appear much was going on, especially in Grand Case. The beach wasn't much at the Wyndham but we walked to a neighbouring beach and had a blast!!! We are already planning our next tgrip to St Maarften and yes, we are definetly stayint at the Wyndham Sapphire Beach again.

7 Thank candice g
West Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2003

My Wife and I totally enjoy the Saphire Beach club, All the way from our great friend Marsha which meets us year after year. To the helpful house keeping staff that keeps our room in top condition during our week. We seldom leave our unit seeing that our room has a Wirlpool and a pool. and a great open air main room and plenty of room on the deck for sun bathing. We Love Saphire and recommend it to all that enquire.
The lack of a beach is made up by a Great pool and Bar. See ya there James and Kathy. There are a few weeks left for sale so act now.

7 Thank JamesandKathy
Reviewed August 27, 2003

I stayed at the Sapphire Beach Club Aug. 15-20, 2003. I agree with the other reviewers that the rooms are spacious, clean, and well-equipped with amenities. The problem was that most of the amenities didn't work!
I also paid only $81 (US) per night and received an oceanview room, with a jacuzzi on the balcony. But the jacuzzi jets did not work, so it was basically just a hot bath. Which I didn't use because it was filthy. The ring around the jacuzzi, in addition to the dirt and sand at the bottom of it, made it clear that they are never maintained or cleaned. The full-size refrigerator was a very convenient feature, except that the icemaker spit out specks of dirt along with your ice so each piece had to be rinsed off before using. The air conditioner would not turn off, so extra blankets were necessary at night.

I didn't find the front desk staff to be rude, just not very well-trained at their jobs. They didn't explain their room-numbering system at check-in so I had trouble finding my room. And they charged my American Express card TWICE for my stay, I'm still trying to get that straightened out! But the food was good, and the location is very near the airport. Due to hurricane damage, this is no longer a "beachfront" property. You can walk about a block to Cupecoy Beach, but there is no direct access from the hotel.

I'm sure the hotel was lovely when it was new, but now that it's had years of wear-and-tear without much maintenance, it's just an average place. But for such a low price, I still enjoyed my stay.

My recommendations: Happy Hour starts at 5pm and offers 2-for-1 drinks.
Try to dine at least once at the "Peg Leg Pub" which is an excellent steakhouse. Get your $10 coupons for the Atlantis Casino at the Sapphire's activities desk.

Please feel free to email me for pictures or to answer questions.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alegria Boutique Hotel
Alegria Boutique Hotel
#5 of 7 in Simpson Bay
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Sapphire Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!