“final visit to Summit”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
new jersey
“final visit to Summit”
Reviewed November 17, 2006

We've been to St. Martin about 8 times over the last 5 years. The last 3 trips were with a child. St. Martin is definitely not a child oriented island, not to say there isn't a lot to do with kids, there is but it depends on the group you're with. We've stayed at the summet 5 out of the 8 times but I think we're done staying there. This year we did not get a timeshare/condo room, just a regular room which we have stayed in before. With a child, you definitely need a kitchen so that I will blame on my travel agent. The difference between the regular rooms and the timeshare rooms is night and day. We've been in both over the years and I forgot how shabby the regular rooms are. Who would put dark wall to wall carpeting in a caribbean hotel room? There were burn marks on the floor (everyone smokes so I wasn't surprised) and the color - designed to hide dirt - made the room seem very small. The room was actually large but packed with so much furniture, we had to move some of it out to the deck and into the closet! We had 2 double beds, 2 desks, a daybed and a dresser, 3 chairs and a minifridge! The bathroom was fine except for the large crack running across the tub which meant my 2 yr old had to take a shower which was fine but a little disappointing for him.

The restaurant is great for breakfast, closed for lunch and very limited menu for dinner. Most nights it's one dish - pizza, burgers or lasagna depending on what night of the week it is. I will say, they have the best pizza on the island so far from what I've tasted. The couple that run the kissing fish bar & cafe are awesome, they're the main reason we keep going back. I don't care much for any of the other staff, I actually don't think anyone's said more than 3 words to us any time we've been there.

No kiddie pool but the shallow end is very shallow so that's fine and no beach access so if you're looking to stay within walking distance to a beach, this isn't the place. The other problem we had was the location. There is simply nothing left nearby. The small strip mall is gone that had a superette market and laundromat, Citrus market is now gone so if you need to buy anything, you have to go into Maho. The resort doesn't even have a little shop - we ended up using the one at the Sapphire. The soda machine didn't work either while we were there. I ended up buying several bottles of water/soda/juice at the bar and keeping them in the minifridge.

Overall, for the price it wasn't bad but I've stayed in much better in St. Martin and probably will not go back just because I've grown up and outgrown this place. Great for young adults and singles who are looking for a "spring break" type of atmosphere.

• Liked — liked the bungalow type architecture, not a regular hotel/motel
  • Disliked — needs some serious updating
  • Tips/Secrets — try to book a timeshare room if possible or a room closer to the pool, they seem to be the most up to date rather than the back of the resort
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank chrisx98

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Vancouver
Reviewed September 2, 2006

We went to the Summit in May & I think we will be back, we had such a great stay there, just not long enough!

The rooms are great & the grounds are full of interesting vegetation. The pool is magnificent - our first night we went for a swim in the dead of night under a bright moon in the nice warm water overlooking the ocean, a swim & a view I will never forget.

Everyone who works there is great. Chloe & Thierry are such a warm and fun couple - they run the Kissing Fish Bar which with its happy hour is the best place I found in St. Maarten to have a drink, a fun conversation with some new buddies and some delicious home-cooked dinner.

Everyone seems to go back there year after year (it's like Cheers! Everybody knows each other's names) - it's addictive I guess! Beautiful surroundings, great staff, great food, great regulars.

Keep up the good work, Summit Resort!

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere, great views, & great food
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank AlisonFromVancouver
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We just returned from a week in St. Maartens and stayed at the Summit Resort overlooking Simpson Bay. Although we were happy withour timeshare unit the highlight was definately the Kissing Fish restaurant/bar by the pool.

The Kissing FIsh features a limited menu but everything they do is fantastic! Personal favorites were the handmade pizzas, BBQ ribs and banana pancakes. Chloe and Thierry are fantastic hosts and maintain a fun atmosphere. We met a lot of local residents in the restaurant and bar as well. Even if you are not a guest at the Summit it is well worth a visit to the Kissing Fish. Check it out at ----

4 Thank PRButterfield
Lorain, Ohio
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I admit I was rather hesitant staying here after some of the reviews I had read...Fortunately, we had one of the best vacations ever! The room was spotless - no ants or bugs were seen, although we did keep open food in the microwave and clean the dishes as soon as we were done eating. I would think that would just be common sense in the Caribbean. We had the pool totally to ourselves the entire week. Once in awhile a med. student would take a dip. Chloe and Theri were great! Chloe makes a mean rum punch! And Theri's breakfasts are superb!

If you are looking for a luxery motel, then this is not the place to go. But if you want peace and solitude, and a very, very laid back atmophere - you will be in heaven. We would go back in a heartbeat! Did I also mention that they upgraded us to a wonderful, ocean view bungelow!

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Lovelylisa40
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2006

I stayed at the Summit while racing at the Heineken Regatta. The room was spotless and the staff was very friendly. I had a nice view from both rooms. They were able to find me a room for the last couple of nights that I wasn't able to book before I arrived.
The pool was nice and we had a couple of nice breakfasts at the restaurant by the pool. The AC worked well and it was quiet at night.
This is not an upscale resort, but it's clean, and has a nice view. The front desk arranged a taxi when needed.

I would stay at the hotel again. I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank rjslatt
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Picked the Summit on a recommendation from family. Looking for decent, rather inexpensive, condo type accomodations. Understood we weren't getting anything fancy.
Arrived and told the room we had specifically booked many months ago was unavailable. Staff was unapologetic about it. Ok, no big, got another unit and unpacked. Saw a couple of ants in the bathroom. We understand this is the Caribbean and figured maybe the window was left open. Went to the bar for a drink-bartender was great. Went to the grocery store to stock up on breakfast foods. Returned to unit to see kitchen CRAWLING with ants. Went down to report problem to staff, both of whom were again unapologetic. One man came up to the unit with industrial bug killer, opened up all the cabinets and sprayed all glasses, appliances, EVERYTHING. He then, inexplicably, shrugged and said 'Now they're gone', as if anything about this act made anything better. (I shudder to think of people drinking out of those glasses.) They were very annoyed that we had even complained (this isn't an exaggeration- there were HUNDREDS of ants crawling from the dishwasher door up to the counter and up on the backsplash to the back of the cabinet, and inside where the dishes and pots were located). They had no other rooms for us, no suggestions on where to stay other than to come back the next day when another room was available, and basically had no time for our complaints. I understand 'things happen' and always believe it isn't what happens, it's how you handle it. They get a 'F' for handling the entire situation. We had to pack up the car and drive around looking for someplace else to stay that would take us for 8 days (during the Heineken Regatta- a very busy time!) and ended up at the Sonesta Maho, where we had a great experience (unfortunately no refrigerator was available to store the $100+ groceries we bought). Ugh. All in all, will return to St. Maarten, but NOT to the Summit.
Important P.S. The woman who actually owned the unit was apologetic over the phone and has offered to return the full amount.

Stayed March 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 25, 2006

After coming back from The Summit Resort for my tenth year, I clearly know why I keep on returning. When you arrive at the hotel, the staff greets you will smiles and treats you like family. The rooms are very spaciaous and comfortable with amazing views of Simson Bay. The view from the pool deck is the best on the island. Great price, great rooms, and a great view. Great Hotel.

• Stayed February 2006
Mary's Boon Beach Resort and Spa
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!