“Total Relaxation!”

and 1 more site!
The Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Reviewed July 12, 2006

I admit I was rather hesitant staying here after some of the reviews I had read...Fortunately, we had one of the best vacations ever! The room was spotless - no ants or bugs were seen, although we did keep open food in the microwave and clean the dishes as soon as we were done eating. I would think that would just be common sense in the Caribbean. We had the pool totally to ourselves the entire week. Once in awhile a med. student would take a dip. Chloe and Theri were great! Chloe makes a mean rum punch! And Theri's breakfasts are superb!

If you are looking for a luxery motel, then this is not the place to go. But if you want peace and solitude, and a very, very laid back atmophere - you will be in heaven. We would go back in a heartbeat! Did I also mention that they upgraded us to a wonderful, ocean view bungelow!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Lovelylisa40

Reviewed April 23, 2006

I stayed at the Summit while racing at the Heineken Regatta. The room was spotless and the staff was very friendly. I had a nice view from both rooms. They were able to find me a room for the last couple of nights that I wasn't able to book before I arrived.
The pool was nice and we had a couple of nice breakfasts at the restaurant by the pool. The AC worked well and it was quiet at night.
This is not an upscale resort, but it's clean, and has a nice view. The front desk arranged a taxi when needed.

I would stay at the hotel again. I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank rjslatt
Westchester, New York
Reviewed March 20, 2006

Picked the Summit on a recommendation from family. Looking for decent, rather inexpensive, condo type accomodations. Understood we weren't getting anything fancy.
Arrived and told the room we had specifically booked many months ago was unavailable. Staff was unapologetic about it. Ok, no big, got another unit and unpacked. Saw a couple of ants in the bathroom. We understand this is the Caribbean and figured maybe the window was left open. Went to the bar for a drink-bartender was great. Went to the grocery store to stock up on breakfast foods. Returned to unit to see kitchen CRAWLING with ants. Went down to report problem to staff, both of whom were again unapologetic. One man came up to the unit with industrial bug killer, opened up all the cabinets and sprayed all glasses, appliances, EVERYTHING. He then, inexplicably, shrugged and said 'Now they're gone', as if anything about this act made anything better. (I shudder to think of people drinking out of those glasses.) They were very annoyed that we had even complained (this isn't an exaggeration- there were HUNDREDS of ants crawling from the dishwasher door up to the counter and up on the backsplash to the back of the cabinet, and inside where the dishes and pots were located). They had no other rooms for us, no suggestions on where to stay other than to come back the next day when another room was available, and basically had no time for our complaints. I understand 'things happen' and always believe it isn't what happens, it's how you handle it. They get a 'F' for handling the entire situation. We had to pack up the car and drive around looking for someplace else to stay that would take us for 8 days (during the Heineken Regatta- a very busy time!) and ended up at the Sonesta Maho, where we had a great experience (unfortunately no refrigerator was available to store the $100+ groceries we bought). Ugh. All in all, will return to St. Maarten, but NOT to the Summit.
Important P.S. The woman who actually owned the unit was apologetic over the phone and has offered to return the full amount.

Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed February 25, 2006

After coming back from The Summit Resort for my tenth year, I clearly know why I keep on returning. When you arrive at the hotel, the staff greets you will smiles and treats you like family. The rooms are very spaciaous and comfortable with amazing views of Simson Bay. The view from the pool deck is the best on the island. Great price, great rooms, and a great view. Great Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2005

The Summit is not quite a one star motel. We needed a hotel near the airport as we were only staying one night on our way to St. Barths. We arrived late and were given room #17B - a loft type with very steep stairs to access the room - very difficult with luggage. The bed was awful, the a/c very noisy and the room did not appear very clean. In addition, some lights did not work. Very overpriced at $110 USA (plus taxes); the room was not even worth $29.99 per night. The front desk staff only did the minimum they were required and at their own pace. I am so glad we only had to stay one night - I would never stay here again. The complex is also a timeshare - which I would NEVER recommend to anyone. Cut your losses and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank Linda H
Reviewed April 9, 2005

We were a little skeptical about the Summit after reading some of the reviews, but we were very pleased with our experience. We traveled with my parents and our 7-year old son. The staff was extremely accommodating and courteous. We stayed in a waterview room with small kitchen and the view was fabulous. There was always a breeze and we also enjoyed using the pool. Some of the rooms do need to be upgraded and the stairs to some of the units are pretty steep if you're an older person, or have small children. The folks who run the Kissing Fish Bar and Restaurant couldn't have been more accommodating and the food was wonderful if you are looking for something simple, but good. Each morning we were greeted with coffee and smiles and by the end of the week we felt like part of the family. Chloie and Thiery are wonderful folks and anyone visiting the resort should stop in and see them. Happy Hour at the bar was great and we met many great folks! All in all we were very satisfied and plan to return next year.

The DiSilvestre Family

Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank SueDMaryland
Santa Monica California
Reviewed March 10, 2005

I have visited the Summit for the past two years spending several months there altogether. The hotel is unique and has a personality of its own. Like the other reviews I confirm it is not a cookie cutter hotel where you are just a number, its a special place that feels like home. No hotel is perfect but this hotel has recently undergone a 400,000.00 renovation!!!!! It is a wonderful place to get away from it all and experience a truly authentic, Caribbean type of hotel. Bugs are a fact of life in any tropical climate and from the many other islands and hotels I have visited in the past the Summit does a spectacular job at keeping the insect situation under control. The hotel is private, secluded, tranquil and the rooms are wonderful. The standard rooms are nice but obviously not as nice as their deluxe rooms...the standard rooms offer a clean and basic place to stay for less damage to your pocket book. The deluxe rooms have full kitchens and many of them have the best water views on the entire island. Overall the hotel is really an exclusive place for discriminating and original tastes, welcoming everyone but meant only for the really cool and laid back people looking for a relaxing adventure, not a stuffy, huge high rise hotel! The staff is the friendliest and most helpful staff I have ever encountered. Definitely a great place to vacation! I am sad that they are no longer selling timeshares!

• Stayed: February 2005
#1 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Grand Case Beach Club
Grand Case Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Grand Case

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!