“Greatest Place on The Island” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Summit Hotel

The Summit Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cupecoy Bay
Brick, NJ
“Greatest Place on The Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was our 27th year staying at the Summit. We own 5 weeks of time share there and never trade it for any other time share. The grounds are very well kept, the service people are the nicest and can't do enough for you. The front desk people are very helpful with anything you need and the General Mgr. is a sweetheart. Every one should spend a week there and you will see why we keep coming back

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Nevs (Bob and Jan),

I can't thank you enough for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. I also can't believe it's been 27 years! How is that even possible? Seriously, when the two of you show up here it feels like family coming home to visit. Thank you for all the kind words about our staff. As you know, they are the people who really make the Summit a special place to visit. Our location, close to the best beaches, shopping and restaurants on the island doesn't hurt either. We can't wait to see you again on your next visit.

Thanks again,
Bruce Jakubovitz, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

We love to stay at the summit. The people are so kind and friendly . The breathtaking sunrises over the bay. The rooms are always clean and comfortable . We would recommend it to anyone who wants to spend a relaxing time in st martins .

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Marzfam,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. Your comments hit all the high points. Between a great staff, great view and clean, comfortable rooms, we are an ideal location for those looking for a peaceful place to stay at a reasonable price. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Summit soon!

York PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

Nestled off the beaten path in Cupecoy Bay lives The Summit, overlooking Simpson Bay. Built in the early 1970's it shows its age. The units are extremely clean and the grounds are well kept. The staff from the desk clerk to the grounds people and the bar tender and warm and friendly, making your stay even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: The building is set in a way that all rooms have a view of the bay
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BobY513,

I love the title you gave to your review of the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor because "Beautiful Hideaway" is exactly the way that we think of it as well! Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of the hotel on TripAdvisor and for all your kind words about us. I really appreciate it.

More important than anything, I am grateful for your warm comments about our staff. Many have been with us for, quite literally, decades and all take great pleasure in welcoming guests to the Summit. I think it is one of the things that sets us apart from other hotels in that our staff truly wants guests to be happy here and to feel at home. It is nice when guests like you recognize and appreciate it.

Thanks again for a great review. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Summit int he future.

Everett, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

We booked this hotel to stay two weeks for our son's wedding in St. Maarten and were EXTREMELY pleased with the place. While slightly weather worn, the room (actually the top story of a two story townhouse on the water) was quiet, clean, and well equipped. We had a full kitchen with all the pots and pans and plates that we needed, and the maid service was daily to bring clean towels and even clean up our kitchen. The price was far below other places on the island and, after staying at a so called "5 star hotel" on the island last time we were here, we will definitely be back to stay at The Summit. It is also close to Maho for shopping, and you can walk to the beach. It has a nice swimming pool and a small restaurant on site. I would recommend this place highly, but I'm almost afraid to do that since it seems to be relatively obscure and we'd like to save it just for ourselves and don't want to have trouble getting a room next time we come!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view, as not all the rooms have one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Hristine2007,

Wow! Thank you very much for the great review you posted about the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I am so glad that everything went well for your son's wedding too. Congratulations on that as well!

We're often referred to as "the best kept secret on St Maarten" but, as you might imagine, we would not mind being a bit less of a secret to folks like you who are looking for a clean, quiet, comfortable place to stay while visiting our beautiful island. I doubt that we will ever become too busy though, as some hotels can be sometimes, because it just would not fit our style at all. We've been here, under the same ownership, for 40 years and believe in providing a peaceful, relaxed, quiet setting for our guests and don't ever imagine that changing.

I'm glad you enjoyed the service our staff provided you and felt you got good value for the price you paid too. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Summit on your next visit. Many thanks again for posting such a nice review about us.

Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

I stayed April 26-29 in unit 7. This property consists of a large number of separate buildings, most with two units (one on the ground, one on the second floor) and a few with only one unit, including unit 7 where I stayed. This design certainly reduces the risk of noise from adjacent units, and of course in my unit there was no risk of adjacent unit noise. Some units overlook the bay but most do not.

My room was large and had a kitchen area. There was a retractable sliding "wall" that could be used to separate the bed area from the living/kitchen area.

The air conditioner was very quiet and had a remote control which allowed a specific temperature setting. However, using many of the functions on the remote was not obvious.

My main complaint about my room was the lack of lighting in the living/kitchen area. It needed a good overhead florescent light, especially to light the kitchen area.

The parking lot is free and convenient. However the lot has a tapering shape which becomes narrow at one end so small cars are easier to park than mini-vans.

There is a bar next to the pool. There was not much activity at the pool and the bar was quiet except during some kind of wedding event.

The neighborhood around the hotel consists of apartment buildings and some vacant lots. It seemed safe to me and seems intended for tourists, with few locals living in the immediate area. There are two restaurant/bars within a short walking distance. But Maho is somewhat of a long walk - not really within walking distance.

Room Tip: If you don't want anyone above or below you, get a single-unit building like unit 7.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear MaxConcrete,

Thank you for your positive review and high ratings of the Summit Hotel on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate it.

As you noted, our rooms are larger than typical hotels and are located in individual villa style buildings that are separated by walkways. Our typical room is almost 400 square feet and includes a full kitchen with dishwasher, fridge, microwave, stovetop and more. This summer we will be adding new under-cabinet lighting to the kitchen area so this should be much improved next time you visit us.

In addition to Maho, which is a 5 minute drive in one direction, we are a 5 minute drive in the other direction from Porto Cupecoy and within easy walking distance to the Atlantic Casino complex which boasts great restaurants like Rare, Temptation and La Gondola. I hope you had a chance to visit there as well.

I am very glad you appreciated the quiet nature of our rooms and property and look forward to having you stay with us again on your next visit to our beautiful island. Thank you again for a great review.

Ship Bottom, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We were so happy to be back at our favorite place on St. Maarten. The staff there is outstanding! Manager Evans is a pleasure to deal with. And we love Denece at the restaurant. She is handling a party for us and we know it will be great. Everyone always has a smile on their face, especially me. We stayed in 4B this time and couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear KathyL5581,

Thank you so much for the great review you posted about the Summit on TripAdvisor. I really appreciate it and love that you think of us as your favorite place on St. Maarten. That means a lot, especially considering how well you know the island.

Our General Manager Evans, Denece at the restaurant and all the staff take great pride in making guests feel at home at the Summit and I appreciate you mentioning them in your review. We can't wait to have you visit us again for another wonderful vacation.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

We booked this hotel during the Christmas week and I thought I already wrote a review for this hotel. My bad! Anyway, I cannot forget the memorable week that we spent in St Maarten, the comfort of our room and the superb customer service of the hotel staff - the front desk, the cleaning lady and the lady bartender at the restaurant. My husband and I wanted a relaxing week and we got our wish - the atmosphere in the hotel is peaceful, our room (3B) is right next to the pool and the restaurant and has a breathtaking view of the lagoon. We ate almost all of our breakfast out in our private balcony breathing the crisp fresh air and the sights. At our friend's advise, we brought some non-perishable food with us since we were told that everything in St Maarten is expensive, except for the seafood. We did eat breakfast once (when I craved for a good sunny-side up eggs) and dinner twice (the fish meal was excellent!) in the hotel's restaurant. There were few people in the hotel during our stay. I kind of wondered why when we booked this hotel, the website showed that it was the last booking available. Maybe they were short staff due to the Christmas holidays? However, even if they had a minimal staff then, the service we got was still very good. Just an example, we had a problem with our room's WFI one day after the heavy evening rain and when I reported this to the front desk, it only took a short time for their IT person to come over and fix the problem. We did not have a rental car but our friend who lived in St Maarten for the last 20 years picked us up whenever we want to go sight seeing, shopping or dine out. The hotel is far from the usual places frequented by tourists, though there are restaurants, some stores and even a casino a walking distance from the hotel, even a beach and golf course nearby. I would not recommend walking after dark, though. The roads outside the hotel are not well lit and anything can happen in dark places, if you know what I mean. The hotel itself has a 24-hour guard at the gate and that made me feel secure within its compound. All in all, it was a great place for R&R and visit with friends. However, if you want to be close to the tourists places and the night life, this is not the hotel for you. As for us, we will definitely chose this place again in our next visit.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceSXM, Owner at The Summit Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Floriam,

Thank you very much for the wonderful review and high ratings you gave the Summit on TripAdvisor. I am so glad you and your husband enjoyed the peace and serenity we offer guests and that you got to experience the R&R you were looking for on your trip. Enjoying breakfast while sitting on your private balcony and taking in the view over the lagoon is a great way to start the day. I'm glad you took advantage of that. Thank you also for mentioning the comfortable room you had and superb customer service of our staff. We take great pride in that.

While our location is indeed private, we are within an easy 3 - 5 minute walk to the Atlantis Casino complex which features close to a dozen restaurants and only a 5 minute drive to the Maho and Porto Cupecoy complexes which offer shopping, entertainment and many more restaurants as well. One of the nicest beaches on the island, Mullet Bay Beach, is only a 5 - 7 minute walk from out front gate too.

I'm delighted to hear that you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit. Thank you again for a wonderful review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cupecoy Bay
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to The Summit Hotel? Share your experiences!