“Very Basic”

Ranked #3 of 13 Kalka B&B and Inns
Mumbai
“Very Basic”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Its a very basic hotel and you would use this only if you were to catch an early morning train to Shimla or reached Kalka late in the night and taking a flight/train the next morning. It is a 10 minute walk from the station. And this probably was the closest to the station. We reached Kalka late in the night from Shimla and had to take a flight from Chandigarh the next morning. The rooms are very basic and a little shabby to be honest. However, you'd get hot water and a bed tea at 5:00 am. Its a cheap option for a layover, but it did not appear safe if you are a lone woman.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
rahulgo50, Owner at Hotel The Lotus, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Sir Thank you for your review. Sir Hotel the Lotus is a budget hotel and serves the purpose as a transit place for tourist going to Shimla . We do our best to make the travelers feel comfortable and safe and I want to assure you that in past 15 years of service there has not been a single bad experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Kochi (Cochin), India
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed in Room 106 on 16th Sep 2013. This is a very basic hotel. Staff was courteous. My room was on the third floor with narrow stairs and no lifts. I was with my family with 2 children. Extra bed provided had a dirty bed sheet on it. So I put some of my own clothes on it to make myself comfortable. I was staying en route to Shimla from Kalka.

I had to leave by Toy Train next day early at 4.30. I could not find anyone in the morning, so had to carry the luggage down by myself.. Since I paid a 100% advance, there was no reason for me to wait for anyone, so I just walked out so that I do not miss the train.

The hotel is very close to Kalka station and this is a very good advantage.

Only if you just want to pass your night without expecting any comfort, then only book this hotel.

Room Tip: Only for a backpack traveller
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were savaged by bed bugs during our awful one night stay. The only saving grace was the fact that the manager did his best to remedy the situation, but his actions were in vain as the alternative room we were given after we complained of bed bugs, was also infested. In short, avoid kalka altogether to be honest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rahulgo50, Owner at Hotel The Lotus, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Sir Firstly I am really sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I know that your stay with us was below satisfactory. I was there with you and I accept our mistake. We have always kept our standard for cleanliness and hygiene and this was a drop from our standard. I have personally looked into the matter and had it solved as I promised you .All the rooms were cleaned and sprayed the very next day. I apologize again for the inconvenience caused to you .
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stopped here for half a night in order to catch the train to Shimla, which is what I expect most of their customers do. Up a flight of very steep stairs we had 2 terrible rooms. I can do old, I can do shabby...so long as it's clean and this wasn't. The sheets were not clean, the doorframes and doors, walls etc were encrusted with dirt. I kept thinking that a large bottle of bleach wouldn't be amiss!There really is no reason not to clean, even if the hotel is basic in furnishings. The sole plus was that the guy in charge promised that he would get us up at 3.00 am in order to get the train, we didn't hold our breath, but he was as good as his word and even gave some information on where to go etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank AlbertH-B
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Before I tell you anything about the place I must admit that the people who are running this place are amazingly helpful.. They booked a taxi for me from Shimla to Manali and were always prompt to pick up my phone and help me during my 8 days in Himachal when they could have easily ignored to do so . Thank you Kumar Saurabh for being so helpful. The hotel is a small place with fine little rooms . There is not much problem with the place except for Steep Steps towards the room . This is surely a budget hotel but the Mr Saurabh you desrve to run a star property.

1 Thank HarishThakur
Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I booked this hotel for my intermediate stay in Kalka while going to Shimla. They told me that its a budget hotel and not to expect much from it and town. Its a small hotel but the owner tries to go extra mile to please u ....apart from that its just a basic place with small rooms and steep staircase. One thing I didnt liked was a little confusion during the checkout process other then that its just fine.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed April 19, 2013

A good one for money conscious people.Very near to the Railway Station Hotel has very steep steps towards the room but overall the people are warm and the room service is prompt. We stayed in Semi Deluxe rooms which were on 3rd floor phew a bit difficult to climb.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalka
Timber Trail Heights
#8 of 13 in Kalka
Modi's Hotel
Modi's Hotel
#6 of 13 in Kalka

Been to Hotel The Lotus? Share your experiences!